Reverse Type 2 Diabetes with a LCHF diet. Is this a myth?

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Hi thanks for your response. It was never my intention to rubbish LCHF or any other kind of diet. I know that such have produced excellent results for countless people. My question was more about control as opposed to reversal rtf I find it interesting that you have mentioned vegan diets and fasting as strategies, I've not heard much about these with regards to diabetes could you say more on these subjects?
I am not a Vegan and find my Keto borderline carnivore, but I try to be inclusive and I know that you can have a low carb high fat vegan diet. Going strict vegan and cutting out high carbs does produce good early results, but I am unconvinced on the long term health benefits. It requires a large and regular quantity of supplementation and you have to each large quantities of food to get the equivalent nutrients and vitamins you need. As I see it, going Vegan is all about not wanting to kill animals and not about health, which is admirable.

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach
I think it's harsh. to say that Type 2 diabetes is a lifestyle disease caused by poor dietary choices. As Professor Lustig has pointed out in several of his videos online, lifestyle doesn't explain obese six month old kids or obese newborns. As a paediatric endocrinologist, running the childhood obesity clinic at UCSF Benioff hospital and he says he has yet to meet a kid who wants to be fat, they are all desperate to be thin. He believes that Type Two diabetes is a disease caused by exposure, to the standard diet.

Research has shown us that if you have certain genes, you're more likely to get, say breast cancer. I'm not aware of any research that says if you have this gene, you're more likely to develop Type Two diabetes.

I don't say that a low carb diet will reverse diabetes, because I believe that it can only be put into remission. What we don't know, is whether those in remission, will continue to see a huge improvement, to the point where the beta cells in the pancreas regenerate. It might depend whether they are newly diagnosed when they start their journey.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the beta cells in the pancreas regenerate

Assuming that beta cell death is the problem rather than impaired beta cell effectiveness..
As T2's produce a lot of insulin I think their beta cells are fine but their bodies are resistant to the isnulin they produce hence the problem. There could also be a further impairment with visceral fat around the liver and pancreas.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaoDan

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find the concept of 6 month old babies becoming obese with T2D being blamed on standard diet. They have only just been weaned, surely.