What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.2 FBG 6.3 so much better today. Hubby still not eating too much. Still he's been clear 48 hrs now so I can return to our room. Cleaned and disinfected everything, stripped down the bed, remade and got the bedding I took off all washed and dried. I think he's feeling a bit "unclean" with the disinfecting but after the time I was ill the last thing I want is gastroenteritis! Football started today and Hibs won. Not at the match obviously but they are streaming the game free of charge for the season ticket holders.
B. Slice of LC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw. TAG.
L. 2 GF crackers with mackerel pate.
D. Lidl noodle carbonara. 4 strawberries and a scoop of Halo Top strawberry cheesecake.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you eat the skin? rind? Instructions on the container say eat immediately on opening, hope it will still be ok tomorrow. Far too much for one meal.
Yes, I eat all! The skin/rind consists of mozzarella, the filling is a mixture of mozzarella and cream.
I'll use the last bit of my burrata after typing this post, which will be day 3 :)
With mozzarella or cream, it's easy to know if it's gone off: it gets sour. So to my thinking, as long as it doesn't taste sour it's fine to eat :)

I just take large cabbage leaves, cut the main stem out and blanch them. They are then soft enough to fold around your filling.
That's what I did, blanch them and fill them with 'surimi salad' from Aldi. I'll update on the result as soon as I've eaten, which should be in 10 minutes :)
@Antje77 and @MrsA2 you haven’t lived if you haven’t had a pickled egg. Easy to make. Hard boil eggs, peel and put in a wide neck screw top jar. Cover with malt vinegar and ignore for a couple of weeks.
I'm going to find out what malt vinegar translates to in Dutch and I'll have a go at it!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chefs-Lard...jar&qid=1596310229&sprefix=pickled+egg&sr=8-3

That's the Chip Shop size. Amazon have smaller jars too though. It's a lot of pickled eggs.
Alas, they don't deliver to the Netherlands so my pickled eggs will be a DIY job. I don't think I've ever heard someone from my country say they've eaten pickled eggs, it's just not a thing.

Do you eat pickled eggs just as they are as a snack or do you use them in meals?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Had this all ready to post then somehow lost it .

breakfast. 2xCWC, nut granola, confit chicken livers and a vegetable version of a hash brown,

CWC

lunch: the aforementioned ham and burrata rollup, mayonnaise, lettuce, cucumber, radish and a few cherry toms from the pots out the front. water and a cup of tea

afternoon, i am still snacking, cant seem to stop, so here is my confession.

several spoonfuls of peanut butter, several very small pieces of cheese, a one inch piece of baguette with butter, a few more cherry toms, another tiny piece of baguette. at which point i put it away in its own purpose built cupboard.

dinner: some delicious fresh cod, ratatouille, runner beans and a few slices of carrot, water and wine.

MrSlim was indeed busy today. He has now come up with a plan to reconstruct the ciderpress building and was hauling huge pieces of timber about to find ones suitable for reusing

First pic is starting work,
Second is ready for reconstructing. Really??
20200727_162844.jpeg
20200731_175953.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a wonderful recipe posted by @Rachox will try and give you the link.
Recipe is for tuna, but I have also made it successfully with crispy bacon or chorizo pieces.
http://prntscr.com/tser3w
here is hopefully the link to Rachox recipe
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1762#post-2214713

Thank you. I will try again, but with a different protein, I think. Not keen on the tuna in spring water which my shopper bought for me.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Thank you. I will try again, but with a different protein, I think. Not keen on the tuna in spring water which my shopper bought for me.
Just now mostly make with bacon or chorizo as am also making tuna and courgette fritters and it's definitely possible to have too much tuna.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very late meal today. Just finished, and I'm an hour ahead of you too. Very good meal it was too! :hungry:
Cabbage leaf roll ups with surimi salad; a few pieces of a red crusted cheese; a thin slice of ham around some gorgonzola; tomato with the last bit of burrata, sundried tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper; and tomato with mature cheese, mayonnaise and salt and pepper.

I need to not feel like cooking more often if it makes me end up with meals like this one!

116875393_10221474188198451_1157998563901205189_o.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never eaten pickled eggs. Do you use all vinegar, or a vinegar/water solution? We used to buy pickled gherkins at a chippy when I was a teenager, but they were too vinegary for me.

Just vinegar. I use the white malt vinegar.
I love pickled gherkins too, but I’ve found it surprisingly hard to find them without sweetened vinegar.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to find out what malt vinegar translates to in Dutch and I'll have a go at it!

Alas, they don't deliver to the Netherlands so my pickled eggs will be a DIY job. I don't think I've ever heard someone from my country say they've eaten pickled eggs, it's just not a thing.

Do you eat pickled eggs just as they are as a snack or do you use them in meals?

I’d have them as a snack usually but easily incorporated into a cold cuts type of meal. As others have said they are often found in fish and chip shops which, now I think about it, is a bit odd. We also used to get them in pubs a lot, maybe people felt they helped to soak up the beer.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
MrSlim was indeed busy today. He has now come up with a plan to reconstruct the ciderpress building and was hauling huge pieces of timber about to find ones suitable for reusing

First pic is starting work,
Second is ready for reconstructing. Really??
If he needs help tasting the cider once he's got it all working again, just let me know and I'll be happy to volunteer!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I eat all! The skin/rind consists of mozzarella, the filling is a mixture of mozzarella and cream.
I'll use the last bit of my burrata after typing this post, which will be day 3 :)
With mozzarella or cream, it's easy to know if it's gone off: it gets sour. So to my thinking, as long as it doesn't taste sour it's fine to eat :)

That's what I did, blanch them and fill them with 'surimi salad' from Aldi. I'll update on the result as soon as I've eaten, which should be in 10 minutes :)

In the days where it didn't require major thought to buy a carry out at a chip shop, you would have a pickled egg with whatever something & chips you'd bought. The other favourite was the large pickled onions sold in chippies. Both were "accompaniments".
PS both my brothers had chip shops at one time in their lives and I worked in them as a schoolgirl.

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and Chook

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the days where it didn't require major thought to buy a carry out at a chip shop, you would have a pickled egg with whatever something & chips you'd bought. The other favourite was the large pickled onions sold in chippies. Both were "accompaniments".
PS both my brothers had chip shops at one time in their lives and I worked in them as a schoolgirl.

And the best thing was the pickled onion vinegar on chips. If I was going to have a carb-fest that’d be it!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just vinegar. I use the white malt vinegar.
I love pickled gherkins too, but I’ve found it surprisingly hard to find them without sweetened vinegar.
Remember I told you about Mrs Elswood Haimisha ones that are very low sugar.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/273482385

Not easy to get but I can usually find them in Tesco or Sainsbury's.

PS had to laugh at the Mail this morning. They had a piece on the Cambridge family holidaying in Tresco and they said the Prince William, when he inherits the Duchy of Cornwall from his father, he will also own TESCO!

How's your tourist situation? Reading it's a bit packed in Cornwall.

Reactions: Chook and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And the best thing was the pickled onion vinegar on chips. If I was going to have a carb-fest that’d be it!
Very true! You must be a happy Gooner this morning. Shame you were not allowed to be at the event.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My Mum used to pickle eggs and onions a lot, she used to add sugar and/or spices occasionally to some of them but, basically, it was just eggs or little onions in brown malt vinegar. One time she forgot that she'd made some pickled eggs and by the time she remembered they were a very dark brown so, without thinking it through, she poured away the vinegar and replaced it with cold water, popped the lid back on and put it back in the cupboard - and forgot about it again. Several weeks later there was the most appalling smell of drains crossed with rotting meat which got worse over the days. Eventually Mum started searching for the source of the stench and found the jar of eggs which were so badly off that the lid had partially lifted. Then, in her wisdom, she threw them in to the communal dumpster thing (she lived in a flat in London) as the jar hit the bottom of the communal dumpster the jar exploded. OMG I've never smelled anything like it and, of course, that lingered until the next bin emptying day.

Many years later Mr C and I bought a chippy here in Yorkshire and, of course, we had to stock those huge jars of pickled eggs (and pickled onions) but I used to get Mr C to serve them up as I felt nauseous each time I had to do it. Yet I could eat them when I was pregnant.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I fully agree with the chips part but putting vinegar on your chips still baffles me. Chips are eaten with mayonnaise, or with mayonnaise, peanut sauce and some cut onion.

In fact, the vinegar thing has me so puzzled I might even have to confirm I still can't dose correctly for chips when I come over to the UK. I just can't imagine the taste so I'll have to try.
And if I order a pickled egg to go with it I'll have that puzzling dish covered as well :happy:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember I told you about Mrs Elswood Haimisha ones that are very low sugar.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/273482385

Not easy to get but I can usually find them in Tesco or Sainsbury's.

PS had to laugh at the Mail this morning. They had a piece on the Cambridge family holidaying in Tresco and they said the Prince William, when he inherits the Duchy of Cornwall from his father, he will also own TESCO!

How's your tourist situation? Reading it's a bit packed in Cornwall.

Yes I remember you telling me about them and thank you. I don’t go to Tesco much but look out for them whenever I do. I’m laughing at the Cambridges inheriting Tesco!
I found some Polish gherkins in Asda once but they were in a plastic bag so quite difficult to store once open.
Things do seem to be kicking off down here, as anticipated. I’m not going near a beach or tourist spot this summer. Luckily we live in one of the less pretty, not at all touristy spots, it’s quite remote so I’m hoping we can keep out of harms way. OH drives a bin lorry so it’s harder for him, picking up all recycling from holiday lets. One daughter works in a very busy hotel and another is a student nurse working on the wards so we just have do like everyone else really, keep vigilant and keep hand washing. We have a good system going when the nurse daughter comes in from work. She texts to say she’s on her way - we run a bath and open the bathroom door which is downstairs near the front door. She goes straight in, her scrubs are put in a bin bag and then straight into the washing machine when she emerges all clean and fragrant. I think we’ve become a bit blase the last few weeks but we need to step it up.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Breakfast: usual Sunday morning brunch - chaffle, fried eggs, fried mushrooms and 100g baked beans
Lunch: will skip
Dinner: very loosely based on a hommity pie I used to make... Lodough base rolled out a bit to line a deep pie dish filled with lightly steamed cauliflower and broccoli covered in a cheese and cream sauce topped with more cheese then baked. Served with yellow French beans from the garden.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fully agree with the chips part but putting vinegar on your chips still baffles me. Chips are eaten with mayonnaise, or with mayonnaise, peanut sauce and some cut onion.

In fact, the vinegar thing has me so puzzled I might even have to confirm I still can't dose correctly for chips when I come over to the UK. I just can't imagine the taste so I'll have to try.
And if I order a pickled egg to go with it I'll have that puzzling dish covered as well :happy:

Agree with the onion with chips bit (used to do that all the time) and not averse to the odd bit of mayo on top, but not for chip shop chips! Peanut sauce as well - that’s like @DJC3 ’s granddaughter :hilarious:

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3