What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Ever tried Yorkshire pudding with syrup?
Yes! Years ago, as a child.
This was in the days when sugar was considered to be good for children, to give them energy.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to love a bag of chips from the chip shop with salt, vinegar and brown chippie sauce on them
I'm starting to fear I'm wearing out the Google with all the English cuisine I encounter on this thread!

Early afternoon I had a rather stale low carb cracker with lots of gorgonzola. I must remember to feed the remaining crackers to the chickens, goats, guinea pigs or rabbits and open a new package, but I've been trying to do so for 3 days now, and every time I only remember it when I take a bite :banghead:

Very proud to say I managed to turn one of those blocks of pressed and frozen cheap white fish into something delicious! Half of the bowl is prawns, half is this ridiculous fish, and I must say the fish was easily as good as the prawns :)
I bought the blocks of fish some time ago because I had a plan with it. Can't remember the plan though :hilarious:.

Going with it are cabbage leaves filled with the rest of the Aldi surimi salad, a chopped onion and sundried tomatoes in oil, and cooked broccoli to mop up the sauce from the fish and prawns :hungry:

It was so good I ate all of it, bar a little for the dogs and cats so I'm positively stuffed now. Knowing myself, I'll have forgotten I'm stuffed by the time I'll go to bed so I'll probably eat some nuts or pork scratchings and chocolate anyway :sorry:.

117160124_10221480403313825_5542581091147097170_o.jpg

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
[QUOTE="MrsA2, post: 2291878, member: Half a peach that was just right, juicy, fragrant and lovely. Oh I miss fruit.[/QUOTE]
Had half a perfect peach with my lunch too. The stone fruit here are wonderful, it's sad to be unable to indulge, as I did when we first came to France.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes! Years ago, as a child.

When my brother and I were quite small, my Dad used to give it to us, usually before dinner, to fill us up so we would need less of the main meal. He loved it himself. I've never really liked syrup, even then I thought it was far too sweet. He also used to give Y pud to us with jam. But then, he thought porridge would be improved by adding sugar and, once with pink blancmange powder. Yuk! He was brought up in a very poor household with an invalid father, gassed in WW1 and 12 siblings. No wonder he sought to make food go further.

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Ever tried Yorkshire pudding with syrup?

Yes, not my favourite. According to a neighbour (a lovely elderly former miner with an almost impossible to understand rural Yorkshire accent) his Mum used to serve slabs of Yorkshire pudding with gravy as a starter and more slabs of Yorkshire pudding with syrup or jam as a dessert, with small amounts of meat, mashed AND roast potatoes and cabbage for a main course. If they were hard up (as they often were) they would just have the starter and dessert. Another thing they had to make other expensive meats like mutton or wild venison go further was to serve a plain boiled suet pudding before and after it in the same way they had Yorkshire pudding.

So many carbs.... but it hasn't seemed to do him any harn, he's in his 90s, does all his own cooking, gardening and housework and survived coronavirus in March.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Elevenses: black coffee with cookies and cream phd bar
Lunch: small portion of prawn cocktail followed by Greek yoghurt, chia pudding and LC granola.
Dinner: roast beef, two tiny roast potatoes, carrots and peas followed by SF jelly, cream and raspberries.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.2 FBG 6.6. My BGs seem to be improving again. After one day of earache , I did get a sudden flare up with my gums but that seems to have settled again. Sorry you're still getting the chest thing @Annb. I'm still getting occasional sinus problems but not nearly as bad as it was. Hubby still not 100% but I keep reminding him 5 days of gastroenteritis kind of takes it out of you. He is at least eating again. Not huge amounts but he is listening to me now.
B. TAG and a slice of LC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing. Had a trip to recycling with son and youngest grandson then to Tesco. Must say boys are well educated on behaviour in stores. Mask on, don't touch things, keep your distance and walk with you. They even use hand sanitiser. He was quite crafty. Stayed with his Dad for a while to direct purchases he wanted, then switched to me to get me to buy things he wanted for during the week.
D. Pork chop and a few veggie chips. Choc chip oatcake.
Usual campari and soda.

@Chook I did laugh at the exploding pickled eggs. Reminded me of when Hubby was small. His Granny sent him to the store with a bottle to buy vinegar. This was in the days when everything was decanted into bottles. He met his cousin en route and got distracted playing so, by the time he reached the store he'd forgotten what he was to buy. Shopkeeper asked which Granny and decided he knew exactly what it would be. Bottle filled, back to Granny who poured the contents on the waiting boiled beetroot, which promptly turned white! He'd brought back bleach.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Breakfast 2x CWC, nut granola, confit chicken liver and a vegetable galette.
CWC
Helped MrSlim with moving some heavy pieces of wood, ready for tomorrow. Took some veg round to the neighbours who were kind enough to take me shopping, and some to the vociferous neighbour. Still have masses more than we need.
Lunch: ham with burrata, salad, lettuce, cucumber, radish, homemade coleslaw, few cherry toms. Half a perfect peach with my salad, goes really well with vinagrette dressing. Water, cup of tea.
Water and wine while we watched the F1 race, very exciting edge of the seat finish.
Snacks 2 fingers of cheese, few cherry toms, and couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter.
More wine while I prepared dinner.
Pork shoulder chop, roasted celariac, runner beans, courgette slices sprinkled with thyme and parmesan roasted? or baked? In the oven. More water.
Cup of coffee
Lemon tea.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

2 sausages and kefir for breakfast
Forgot to eat lunch
Goulash at 6pm then wensleydale and cashews at 8pm

had a fab dog scamper (well, they scampered, I used the scooter) this morning.
It is an absolute delight to join them on pack walks again.

spent the afternoon feet up, sewing masks. Enjoyed that too. Also pleased with the results. I always forget how much I enjoy sewing.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dreamed of pickled eggs!!

Today's menu will NOT include pickled eggs or pickled onions

Breakfast: Longley cottage cheese with flaked almonds and carb free syrup (blueberry and lavender)
Lunch: Ryvita and Longley cream cheese (this cream cheese is low carb and absolutely gorgeous)
Dinner: a sort of hash made from daikon (pre-cooked and frozen), red onion and grated cheddar - might have some of the huge amount of French beans growing in the garden

@SlimLizzy - I am in the same situation of having far too much of some veg, lettuce, raspberries and tomatoes all ready in the garden right now. I might draw a plan on the back of the calender with a realistic idea of how much of each item we need to grow next year. I do wish I'd put in more fennel though.I

Edited to correct spelling

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I dreamed of pickled eggs!!

Today's menu will NOT include pickled eggs or pickled onions

Breakfast: Longley cottage cheese with flaked almonds and carb free syrup (blueberry and lavender)
Lunch: Ryvita and Longley cream cheese (this cream cheese is low carb and absolutely gorgeous)
Dinner: a sort of hash made from daikon (pre-cooked and frozen), red onion and grated cheddar - might have some of the huge amount of French beans growing in the garden

@SlimLizzy - I am in the same situation of having far too much of some veg, lettuce, raspberries and tomatoes all ready in the garden right now. I might draw a plan on the back of the calender with a realistic idea of how much of each item we need to grow next year. I do wish I'd put in more fennel though.I

Edited to correct spelling
Raspberries freeze well. And with minimal preparation. Unlike beans that need blanching, plunging into iced water, draining and drying before freezing.
Edited for typo

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Raspberries freeze well. And with minimal preparation. Unlike beans that need blanching,plunging into iced eater, draining and drying before freezing.

I'm being persuaded by Mr C to try making raspberry gin to put away for Christmas and maybe some raspberry brandy while we've got this raspberry glut. I've done it with cherries before (very successfully) and rhubarb with orange (not so successful).

I can't believe I said the C word so early in the year. :eek:

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
300g of home made bolognaise, microwaved from the freezer. No pasta with it. Tested before and after, and it's raised my BS a whole 0.2mmol/L 2 hours later. I thought the tinned tomatoes might make it worse than that. Happy days.

I shall be making a large batch of this and freezing it, I think.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin up to 50 units last night, on the advice of the diabetic clinic nurse. FBG 10.1. Obviously still not enough.

6.30: Tea and co-codamol (to get the legs working).

10.30: BG 14.9. More tea.

11.00: Insulin (what is becoming my normal dose these days, higher than in previous months) 2 rashers bacon, 2 eggs fried and 6 very small tomatoes. Tea and pills.

2.45: BG 12.9

I am making some leek and coconut soup for later in the day. Pancetta base and pickled ginger in it. Not sure what it will taste like - one of my experiments. I think I should, probably, have put some of the pickling vinegar in with the ginger, but didn't think of it and poured it away (it was the last of my pickled ginger from months ago). Might have to add lime juice instead. Can only hope that it doesn't a) upset my digestive system or b) make my BG rise even further.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Having a hungry - and clumsy - day today.

Breakfast was smoked salmon and cream cheese.

Mid-morning was air fried crispy bacon and sour cream. That’s where the clumsy bit comes in. Trying to eat and do a video call at the same time. Oops, not just a spillage but full on flying ramekin as my hand slipped resulted in sour cream all over 2 walls, the carpet, my chair and laptop stand. Tips for removal from wall (paint is NOT the washable kind) and carpet gratefully received!

‘Lunch’ was some whipped cream.

Dinner was two small beef short ribs done in the Instant Pot and eaten early while I await a boiler engineer to check out my ailing boiler.

Still hungry........

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tips for removal from wall (paint is NOT the washable kind) and carpet gratefully received!
For the carpet you could use one of those steam cleaning things. For the wall you either hang a painting or a mirror over the spot, put a cupboard in front of it, or clean and repaint. Or use more sour cream on the rest of the wall to give it a new artsy look :angelic:.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the carpet you could use one of those steam cleaning things. For the wall you either hang a painting or a mirror over the spot, put a cupboard in front of it, or clean and repaint. Or use more sour cream on the rest of the wall to give it a new artsy look :angelic:.

Funny for the arty look. If only it was a ‘spot’ :hilarious: maybe some repainting going on.

And now to get back on topic, contemplating what I might eat next :D