How Quickly Can I Reduce Sugar Levels

Lizzeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have had T2 for 20 years but gone off the rails the last few months. Being strict with myself and have to give bloods in 3 months time. How quickly can I expect to see a reduction in my daily pin prick test? Thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum.

Go keto and your levels will drop pretty darn quick.

Reactions: Lizzeeee

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lizzeeee ! If you reduce carb intake your blood glucose will follow. The general rule, and it is only a general rule, is that 10g of carbs = a 2 to 3 mmol rise in blood glucose. The precise ratio varies considerably between individuals and also at different meal times. I know that I require much more insulin to balance carbs at breakfast than I do at lunch and execise also has a significant influence.
The bottom line is cut the carbs and your BG will drop instantly, but you'll have to maintain this for 3 months in order for your annual HbA1c test to look good.
Best of luck!
Dave

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
About 10 minutes after changing your diet - if you have the data.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of levels are you getting now and what medication are you on for diabetes?

If you are on certain medications and rapidly change your diet keep a close eye on levels in case they drop far more than you expect and hypo. Eg gliclazide or insulin and a few other that warn of hypos as a side effect. Not applicable to metformin alone. If that looks possible medication will need reducing. Don’t be convinced by a hcp to raise carbs again just so you can take the medication that lowers your response to the carbs you want to cut. Madness.

Going low carb or even more so keto will change your readings pretty much immediately.

Lizzeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Lizzeeee ! If you reduce carb intake your blood glucose will follow. The general rule, and it is only a general rule, is that 10g of carbs = a 2 to 3 mmol rise in blood glucose. The precise ratio varies considerably between individuals and also at different meal times. I know that I require much more insulin to balance carbs at breakfast than I do at lunch and execise also has a significant influence.
The bottom line is cut the carbs and your BG will drop instantly, but you'll have to maintain this for 3 months in order for your annual HbA1c test to look good.
Best of luck!
Dave
Thank you, that is very helpful

Lizzeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What sort of levels are you getting now and what medication are you on for diabetes?

If you are on certain medications and rapidly change your diet keep a close eye on levels in case they drop far more than you expect and hypo. Eg gliclazide or insulin and a few other that warn of hypos as a side effect. Not applicable to metformin alone. If that looks possible medication will need reducing. Don’t be convinced by a hcp to raise carbs again just so you can take the medication that lowers your response to the carbs you want to cut. Madness.

Going low carb or even more so keto will change your readings pretty much immediately.

That makes sense, thanks. On Metformin SR and glimiperide.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That makes sense, thanks. On Metformin SR and glimiperide.
Having looked it up it seems unusual to be on both. The glimiperide can cause hypos so if the dosage is set for your current high carb way of eating and you quickly reduce carbs a hypo is a real possibility. Two options. One is to be extra vigilant with your testing before and after meals and be ready to treat any hypos quickly. The other is to speak with your dr and either reduce or stop this medication before you start keto/low carb so that risk is removed. Most drs are willing to go along with trial periods closely monitored if you are serious. Ultimately the decision about how you treat your diabetes is yours, with their advice.

Lizzeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having looked it up it seems unusual to be on both. The glimiperide can cause hypos so if the dosage is set for your current high carb way of eating and you quickly reduce carbs a hypo is a real possibility. Two options. One is to be extra vigilant with your testing before and after meals and be ready to treat any hypos quickly. The other is to speak with your dr and either reduce or stop this medication before you start keto/low carb so that risk is removed. Most drs are willing to go along with trial periods closely monitored if you are serious. Ultimately the decision about how you treat your diabetes is yours, with their advice.

They actually upped the glimiperide while telling me to change my diet dramatically. Will take your advice and keep a regular check on my levels. Thanks again.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They actually upped the glimiperide while telling me to change my diet dramatically. Will take your advice and keep a regular check on my levels. Thanks again.

Hi Lizzeeee, were your levels/hb1ac high the last time they were taken? x