Realistic keto?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone point me towards a simple guide to a sustainable keto woe?

I have been following a couple of forums that are so evangelical and strict that they scare me. I don't want to buy tons of supplements or expensive unnecessary ingredients.( For example once or twice a week i might use a tablespoon of shop bought mayo. I don't want to make or buy special mayo just for that small amount - how much harm could it do in the grand scheme of things?)
I want to be able to sit down with family with a recognisable meal that is similar to theirs, albeit missing some items
Most of all I want my bg to go down.
My first couple of months on low carb were good with lots of 5s and even a couple of 4s but the last 2 months are mostly 6s with some 7s. I know these levels are quite good compared to others But they are increasing and I need them to decrease.
I am already mostly 2mad with an 18/6 window. Somedays it is 16/8 . I do some sort of physical activity most days.

Although nowhere near as hungry as I was bx, some days I still get hungry so I eat, but less and get fuller quicker.
I think I have been fat adapted for 3-4 months now. When I urine test it is always dark end of the purple scale.

I find the rest of this forum helpful and practical... now I need the same for keto.(I think?)

All advice and comments welcomed

Reactions: sarah curr

glitter queen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keto fitness club by mark brereton on fb is ace. Uk. Great recipes. I hve his *** cook book which i love. But free recipe bank on his wesite

Reactions: MrsA2

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have you looked at dietdoctor.com? Appart from a couple of ingredients such as almond flour and sugar subtitute, you shouldn't need to spend too much more.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I second Diet Doctor!

Have you tried https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/ good support and inspiration on there. Here's what they say about their community:

"The Ketogenic Diet is a low carbohydrate method of eating. /r/keto is place to share thoughts, ideas, benefits, and experiences around eating within a Ketogenic lifestyle. Helping people with diabetes, epilepsy, autoimmune disorders, acid reflux, inflammation, hormonal imbalances, and a number of other issues, every day."

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have been following a couple of forums that are so evangelical and strict that they scare me. I don't want to buy tons of supplements or expensive unnecessary ingredients.( For example once or twice a week i might use a tablespoon of shop bought mayo. I don't want to make or buy special mayo just for that small amount - how much harm could it do in the grand scheme of things?)
I want to be able to sit down with family with a recognisable meal that is similar to theirs, albeit missing some items
My first couple of months on low carb were good with lots of 5s and even a couple of 4s but the last 2 months are mostly 6s with some 7s. I know these levels are quite good compared to others But they are increasing and I need them to decrease.
I am already mostly 2mad with an 18/6 window. Somedays it is 16/8 . I do some sort of physical activity most days.

Although nowhere near as hungry as I was bx, some days I still get hungry so I eat, but less and get fuller quicker.
I think I have been fat adapted for 3-4 months now. When I urine test it is always dark end of the purple scale.

I find the rest of this forum helpful and practical... now I need the same for keto.(I think?)

All advice and comments welcomed
Dietdoctor all the way but remember eat meat, fish, green veg, eggs and dairy .. you don't need any replacement ingredients just don't have whatever they would be replacing and don't let perfect become the enemy of doing something. A spoonful of mayo even if made of rapeseed oil won't kill you (even though its not optimal).
Those 4's and 5's should come back soon.

Reactions: Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's absolutely no need to become a member of some Keto Kult, or make something that should be a quite normal and natural function into a restrictive or obsessive regime. o_O Once you've been in ketosis for long enough to be adapted to burning fats you don't necessarily have to stay at 20-25g carbs or less, simply eat a low enough carb diet - e.g. for me, under 50g carbs a day. Your body will be doing what it's designed to do - using (some) carbs but mainly fats as fuel, and it's quite capable of continuing indefinitely without any special diets or costly "Keto" assistance. I've managed quite nicely for six years, and though I'm not into such deep ketosis as some members, I've kept my glucose levels quite stable, come off some (non diabetic) meds, no longer suffer from chronic migraines or debilitating brain fog - ketones are excellent brain fuel IMO... :joyful:

And you don't want to be weeing out vast volumes of ketones, instead you should be using them as your main source of fuel. so if you want to check levels, it's probably ideal to test with a meter and ketone strips although they're rather expensive, or as second best, some people - I think maybe @Goonergal?? - have used the much more affordable one time purchase ketone breathalyser type gadgets (check Google!), but most economical of all, you may sometimes taste or smell those ketones as slightly sweet acetone on your breath

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there @MrsA2 this is going to be a long post, but bear with me. I agree with much of what has been said above. In particular:
I second Diet Doctor!
Dietdoctor all the way but remember eat meat, fish, green veg, eggs and dairy .. you don't need any replacement ingredients just don't have whatever they would be replacing and don't let perfect become the enemy of doing something. A spoonful of mayo even if made of rapeseed oil won't kill you (even though its not optimal). Those 4's and 5's should come back soon.

There’s no need to make this way of eating complicated or to feel compelled to be some kind of purist. So far as I’m concerned you make your own rules, and they may change over time.

Completely possible if you eat real foods. It’s easy for me as I live alone, but when I stay at my dad’s for extended periods I do all the cooking and all that really changes is that I buy and cook some additional things - potatoes and vegetables mainly - to add to his meal. We eat the same base items. I just get more of the good bits - i.e the meat!

So far as dessert is concerned, if you need/want to prepare them for a family the keto versions can be just as palatable for those not following this way of eating if you pick the right things/recipes. Happy to share some specific recipes if that would be useful.
You’re relatively recently diagnosed and seem to be doing a great job. From my own experience BG was quite variable at the start. Just as I thought I had everything cracked they’d creep back up again before coming back down. The key is to be consistent. Also how often are you testing? Are all your readings higher or just one or two at different times of the day? Knowing that can sometimes help you to tweak things a bit. Finally this whole Covid thing has seen many people’s BG up a bit from normal - stress, change of routine etc so I wouldn’t rule that out as a factor.
it's probably ideal to test with a meter and ketone strips although they're rather expensive, or as second best, some people - I think maybe @Goonergal?? - have used the much more affordable one time purchase ketone breathalyser type gadgets
Thanks @Robbity yes, it is me (prompted by another member). I have this one: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Honor-Professional-Breathalyzer-Portable/dp/B07GGQK9HL

I do also have a ketone meter - the Caresens Dual. It’s also a BG monitor and I got it a while back when the meter was free. Their Ketone strips are pricey - £1 a pop, but there’s no reason to test very often once you know you’re in ketosis. And they come individually foil wrapped so have a long shelf life.

At one point when I was testing for ketones more regularly I bought another meter with cheaper strips (in a pot), which I think was recommended by @bulkbiker there was a special offer which made it very economical. It’s this one: https://www.valuemed.co.uk/products/free-gk-meter-when-you-buy-50-on-call-blood-ketone-strips-here

I am a member of a few Facebook groups but haven’t found one that is as friendly and knowledgeable as this forum, and of course managing type 2 using a ketogenic way of eating adds a whole layer on top. Having said that the group Keto for Women over 50 is pretty friendly and not so judgemental as many.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been using fb group low carb in the U.K. it’s low carb as well as keto and non judgemental compared to a lot of the hardcore keto ones I’ve dipped in - and out - of.

Being U.K. based helps a lot whichever group you choose for carb calculation methods and product/shopping options.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And you don't want to be weeing out vast volumes of ketones, instead you should be using them as your main source of fuel.

And if I am weeing them out, consistently? What does that mean?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And you don't want to be weeing out vast volumes of ketones, instead you should be using them as your main source of fuel.

And if I am weeing them out, consistently? What does that mean?
Not yet fully fat adapted most likely. It takes more time than ketosis to achieve.

Hotpepper20000

I think the great thing for me with KETO and low carb is the simplicity.
Protein, above ground vegetables and full fat dairy.
I didn’t buy fancy flours and low carb pasta. I lost 60 pounds And have had a A1C under 40 for 2 years with out being too detailed about it all.

Reactions: JenniferM55

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try this face book group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/kickarseketob1tches/

Run by my mate Daisy and knowing her it should be fun , irreverent and non judgemental.

I hope the link will get through the censor if not then PM me.
I took a look. Fun and irreverent and non judgmental certainly. I’ll stay for a while.

A bit light on the actual keto though, particularly for a beginner trying to learn about it. Also very American based so potentially confusing re net and total carbs and not much use for U.K. relevant info.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took a look. Fun and irreverent and non judgmental certainly. I’ll stay for a while.

A bit light on the actual keto though, particularly for a beginner trying to learn about it. Also very American based so potentially confusing re net and total carbs and not much use for U.K. relevant info.

I'm sure if you ask you'll get lots of useful info..surprised by the American stuff as Daisy is English and lives in France. Obviously not being a KAKB I'm not personally a member.!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure if you ask you'll get lots of useful info..surprised by the American stuff as Daisy is English and lives in France. Obviously not being a KAKB I'm not personally a member.!
There’s other nationalities there so not exclusively American but the section I scanned through looked US heavy. Agree it seems friendly so I’m sure questions would get a positive response, just other groups are more....”food focussed?”...and possibly more serious (less fun) Some days I’m more K, more KA or more B than others ;)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal
Thanks for all that. I'm not skilled enough to quote all the relevant bits but it is helpful and positive thank you.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the great thing for me with KETO and low carb is the simplicity.
Protein, above ground vegetables and full fat dairy.
I didn’t buy fancy flours and low carb pasta. I lost 60 pounds And have had a A1C under 40 for 2 years with out being too detailed about it all.
I find the food simple, if there's no pernickity rules. I just wish I would have the same weight loss and bg lowering that you've had!
I'm hoping when the bg comes down and i lose bit more that I can settle into steady woe, but at the moments need to find something that gets me progressing downwards.

Hotpepper20000

I find the food simple, if there's no pernickity rules. I just wish I would have the same weight loss and bg lowering that you've had!
I'm hoping when the bg comes down and i lose bit more that I can settle into steady woe, but at the moments need to find something that gets me progressing downwards.
It does take some time for it all to come together. Everyone’s different.
I still have some weight to loose but I am happy with my BG.
Do you have a BG meter?