oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
Hello forum,

This is a new issue over the last few months.

I had a wart develop, Plantar's I think. No discomfort or pain. Looks more like another condition as I"ve had a plantar's wart many years ago which was painful. This doesn't or feel like that at all, just like a deep callous.

So, I bought Salicyclic Acid 17% wart remover liquid and putting it on twice a day as instructed. It's peeling away.

Anyone else have this issue? The instructions say that diabetics with poor foot blood circulation shouldn't use it, but I don't get numb feet and soak them regularly in Epsom Salts and hot water and wash my feet regularly.

Anyone have experience and or insight? Thanks,

Gary

Last edited:
Reactions: hels

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @oldnevada .
Well done for the regular footcare. Though with any issue apart from the hygiene and nail care that I do myself, I would have a check with podiatrist. Also have podiatrist do annual check to avoid problems developing.

Also check your footwear isn’t causing friction calluses., would always pay the podiatrist to deal with anything out of the ordinary.

Reactions: oldnevada

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got a couple of these on my left foot. A few years ago, I went through having them frozen off by my GP. It got rid of some, but made it so painful to walk for several days afterwards that I just learned to live with the ones that remained. I've had some success with one removal product, though most of those did nothing for me.

I probably should get them sorted, but I won't be having them frozen off again.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It reads as though the GP was a bit over enthusiastic with the freezing. I had some really bad verrucas which the dr said was just hard skin - I really do not have much luck with my drs. As I worked in a laboratory where I had access to liquid carbon dioxide, I just made a steel rod really cold and used that. It got rid of all of them over a few weeks - I only did a small area each time as it covered most of the underside of the heel.
If there is no problem with the blood supply to your feet there should not be any problem with healing - I managed to step on one of my quilting pins which gave me a bit of a fright - it went in deep!!! but in a few days the small mark it made had gone and there was no swelling or anything concerning.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It reads as though the GP was a bit over enthusiastic with the freezing. I had some really bad verrucas which the dr said was just hard skin - I really do not have much luck with my drs. As I worked in a laboratory where I had access to liquid carbon dioxide, I just made a steel rod really cold and used that. It got rid of all of them over a few weeks - I only did a small area each time as it covered most of the underside of the heel.
If there is no problem with the blood supply to your feet there should not be any problem with healing - I managed to step on one of my quilting pins which gave me a bit of a fright - it went in deep!!! but in a few days the small mark it made had gone and there was no swelling or anything concerning.
They deeply blistered the skin every single time, and made walking unbearable. To the point where I was seriously considering using disabled spaces when parking to go shopping, because every single step hurt that much. I didn't actually do it though. I just toughed it out. When the blisters finally came off, they left deep craters in my feet, with very immature skin exposed at the bottom. To be fair, they did get rid of quite a few of them with this process.

There are probably 50 Shades fans who'd pay good money for this. Turns out you can get sadomasochism free on the NHS.

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi! thanks Nicole T and Resurgam, thanks for the insight.

This must be a verrucas then, because it doesn't hurt. It's just like a hard callous The plantar's wart I had when I was in my twenties did and it looked a lot different. The doctor first cut it out, but it came back. The second treatment was a spider venom which really did get rid of it. But he told me out flat, not to let anyone cut it out again... but, it never came back. He was a great doctor. Thanks, folks!

Reactions: Nicole T

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @oldnevada .
Well done for the regular footcare. Though with any issue apart from the hygiene and nail care that I do myself, I would have a check with podiatrist. Also have podiatrist do annual check to avoid problems developing.

Also check your footwear isn’t causing friction calluses., would always pay the podiatrist to deal with anything out of the ordinary.
Thank-you Pipp!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have something similar which just appeared over the last couple of days on the inside of my foot just up from the sole,there are 2 or 3 small blisters or warts? - are disappearing a bit so going in the right direction and have never been sore at all - I wondered if they could be verrucas - not something I have had before but then I thought I have not been anywhere to catch verrucas such as swimming pool etc. does anyone know if they can just appear like mine have or do you have to catch them from somewhere where someone else infected has been?

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! thanks Nicole T and Resurgam, thanks for the insight.

This must be a verrucas then, because it doesn't hurt. It's just like a hard callous The plantar's wart I had when I was in my twenties did and it looked a lot different. The doctor first cut it out, but it came back. The second treatment was a spider venom which really did get rid of it. But he told me out flat, not to let anyone cut it out again... but, it never came back. He was a great doctor. Thanks, folks!
I think 'plantar wart' and 'verruca' are just different names for the same thing. They're just regular warts, but because you're walking on them, they grow into the skin on the underside of your foot, rather than creating the characteristic lump of a normal wart.

Some hurt and some don't. The ones I've got right now don't bother me in the slightest, which is one of the reasons I'm not massively fussed about getting rid of them. The treatment is infinitely more painful than living with the condition.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I had 'verrucas' treated by a podiatrist. Because I'm diabetic, she didn't want to freeze the skin in case the feeling didn't return, and chose to 'burn' them out with silver nitrate. This is how I discovered I'm allergic to silver, the entire bottom of my foot peeled off with the dressing, leaving raw flesh. Not recommended.

I suggest you try any new treatment on a small test patch to begin with.

Regular soaking with Epsom salts may condition the skin so an over the counter remedy is pretty feeble against your warts. If you're not getting anywhere with removal, you should be able to access an NHS podiatrist.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had verrucas a couple of times (thank you public swimming pools).
Both times were before I knew what was going on with my blood glucose. The first time I used that paint on stuff - took an eternity to work. The second time I used an aerosol thing where it froze a tiny sponge which you pressed to the verruca. A few days later it fell off. Very effective.

Would I use the aerosol again, now that I am more aware of the risks of diabetic feet? Nope. Not unless I had approval from a podiatrist. I wouldn't bother consulting with a doc. I bet all you would get is 'not my area of expertise, make an appt with ..... instead.'

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I had verrucas a few years ago, the podiatrist said to just leave them and they would go away on their own and they did, fortunately they weren't sore or painful though

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a verruca twice. Once I had it treated with caustic liquid and dressed, then trimmed weekly (I think) by the podiatrist.

Several years later when I got unlucky again, the podiatrist (different one) suggested using a different tactic first, befre considering caustic liquids and scalpel.

In essence, cover the verruca with zinc oxide sticking plaster. Not dressing, just the sticky, sticky stuff, then leave it for around a week. After a week, change the plaster. When you remove the plaster wash and soak the foot and if the wart is raised, consider using a callous file, gently, just to smooth it off, the replace the zinc sticky plaster, with fresh sticky plaster, and repeat.

After a few weeks the wart will either have disappeared or one day it will be stuck to the plaster as you remove it.

Effectively, you are starving the wart of oxygen.

It worked beautifully for me, and far nicer than risking a burn on the foot.

If you can, have a podiatrist have a look at it. Better safe than sorry with our feet.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
They deeply blistered the skin every single time, and made walking unbearable. To the point where I was seriously considering using disabled spaces when parking to go shopping, because every single step hurt that much. I didn't actually do it though. I just toughed it out. When the blisters finally came off, they left deep craters in my feet, with very immature skin exposed at the bottom. To be fair, they did get rid of quite a few of them with this process.

There are probably 50 Shades fans who'd pay good money for this. Turns out you can get sadomasochism free on the NHS.
There should be no blistering or deep wounds. The treatment was far too severe and caused tissue damage far beyond what is necessary. Whoever did it was either unskilled or a sadist.

Reactions: Nicole T

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

My last change and application last night, it seems to be reducing rather nicely.

Reactions: JenniferM55

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Update for this plantar's wart treatment.

The 17% Salicylic Acid treatment worked quite a bit. but the solution dried up even in the closed bottle.
Pharmacist suggested being that my BG is low and stable, to try the 40% Salicylic Acid, but to be careful about the healing.
This version goes on as a little disc, cover with a moleskin, then change in 48hrs, repeat.. But if there is no healing, to stop and tell my M.D.

Last edited:

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Update using Dr. Scholl's Clear Away 40% Salicylic Acid.

Shrinking considerably now. No discomfort.

Reactions: JenniferM55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@oldnevada - I'm delighted you are making progress, with the support of your pharmacist, however, I just need to mention again how dangerous this treatment can be for some people.

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@oldnevada - I'm delighted you are making progress, with the support of your pharmacist, however, I just need to mention again how dangerous this treatment can be for some people.
Right! my pharmacist clearly cautioned me. I have to keep a close eye on it. The treatment gets changed every 48hrs after a soak in hot water and dried. So far the wart disc is shrinking with no sign of infection or discomfort.

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
For those watching. This plantars' wart continues to shrink. Dressing changed every 48hrs.

This treatment is Dr. Scholls' ClearAway Wart Remover (Bayer.)

As my pharmacist says, this treatment is not for everyone.

I'm just fortunate, it seems.