My first A1c (and lipid) result since diagnosis

ExiledJack

Hey guys,

I hope you're all doing well. I just had my first blood test results since diagnosis in March and I thought I would share to show the effect of lowering my carbohydrate intake to 100g or less per day.

I'm 31 and was diagnosed with Diabetes in March and initially put on Novorapid and Lantus - I had C-pep and GAD antibodies test and confirmed as type 2. I made the decision to drop the insulin and now I take 1000mg Metformin twice a day, exercise daily and try to keep carbs below 100g a day. Sometimes I go over but usually I'm under.

• From March to August my HbA1c has fallen from 107 to 39 mmol/mol.
  • My total cholesterol has fallen from 5.6 to 4.7.
  • My HDL has increased from 0.7 to 1.0
  • My non-HDL cholesterol has fallen from 4.9 to 3.7.
  • My LDL cholesterol was N/A before and is now 3.3.
  • My triglycerides have fallen from 5.4 to 0.9.
  • My weight has fallen from 18 stone 2 lbs to 15 stone 6 lbs.
I'm really pleased with my progress but don't know too much about cholesterol and am hoping the above results are enough to stop me from having to take statins which were mentioned in March.

Any feedback is welcome.

Cheers.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wowsers well done you!

HbA1c is of course completely brilliant as for cholesterol the Trig/HDL number is usually looked at as an indicator of heart health ideally sub 0.87

Your has gone from 5.4/.7 ( 7.71) to 0.9 which is brilliant too.

Carry on like that and you'll be in great shape for life in the future.

ExiledJack

Wowsers well done you!

HbA1c is of course completely brilliant as for cholesterol the Trig/HDL number is usually looked at as an indicator of heart health ideally sub 0.87

Your has gone from 5.4/.7 ( 7.71) to 0.9 which is brilliant too.

Carry on like that and you'll be in great shape for life in the future.

Thank you. Really great to have a pay off from the effort.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hey guys,

I hope you're all doing well. I just had my first blood test results since diagnosis in March and I thought I would share to show the effect of lowering my carbohydrate intake to 100g or less per day.

I'm 31 and was diagnosed with Diabetes in March and initially put on Novorapid and Lantus - I had C-pep and GAD antibodies test and confirmed as type 2. I made the decision to drop the insulin and now I take 1000mg Metformin twice a day, exercise daily and try to keep carbs below 100g a day. Sometimes I go over but usually I'm under.

• From March to August my HbA1c has fallen from 107 to 39 mmol/mol.
  • My total cholesterol has fallen from 5.6 to 4.7.
  • My HDL has increased from 0.7 to 1.0
  • My non-HDL cholesterol has fallen from 4.9 to 3.7.
  • My LDL cholesterol was N/A before and is now 3.3.
  • My triglycerides have fallen from 5.4 to 0.9.
  • My weight has fallen from 18 stone 2 lbs to 15 stone 6 lbs.
I'm really pleased with my progress but don't know too much about cholesterol and am hoping the above results are enough to stop me from having to take statins which were mentioned in March.

Any feedback is welcome.

Cheers.

Great results, congrats!

Don't worry, not many gp's etc know much about cholesterol either. Your results are great. The trigs are a major improvement, fantastic. You're on a winning platform. Just need to keep doing what you are doing.

Reactions: ExiledJack

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Totally awesome! Way to take control!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What brilliant results! Well done.

Regarding 'the statins conversation', the choice to take them will always be yours. Medical professionals my suggest, and advise, sometimes they pressure, hint and attempt to manipulate with dire vague warnings, but ultimately, you make the ultimate decision on whether to take medication or not.