SD Codefree blood glucose meter

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watching with interest, as I've plumped for the GlucoRx Q. I liked the compactness of it, and it was the cheapest meter on Amazon (though not after factoring in that you only got 10 strips with it, when you seem to get 50 with most others) while seeming to be a reputable brand. I like it overall, and the strips aren't the most expensive (the oft recommended Tee2 ones seem to be dearer.) But even so, if I want to test 3 times a day, I'm looking at £20/month. I could probably save £5 a month or more on that by switching.

Maybe as I get this under control, I'll stop feeling the need to test first thing every day or after every main meal. Or maybe I'll get an everyday meter with cheaper strips, and keep this one in the car or my laptop bag in case I ever go away and forget to bring my main one. Though then you hit the issue of strip expiry, especially once the tub is opened.

Are expired strips really unreliable? Or is it a bit like expired Paracetamol: they're only willing to certify a particular lifetime, even though the realistic life expectancy is much longer.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Watching with interest, as I've plumped for the GlucoRx Q. I liked the compactness of it, and it was the cheapest meter on Amazon (though not after factoring in that you only got 10 strips with it, when you seem to get 50 with most others) while seeming to be a reputable brand. I like it overall, and the strips aren't the most expensive (the oft recommended Tee2 ones seem to be dearer.) But even so, if I want to test 3 times a day, I'm looking at £20/month. I could probably save £5 a month or more on that by switching.

Maybe as I get this under control, I'll stop feeling the need to test first thing every day or after every main meal. Or maybe I'll get an everyday meter with cheaper strips, and keep this one in the car or my laptop bag in case I ever go away and forget to bring my main one. Though then you hit the issue of strip expiry, especially once the tub is opened.

Are expired strips really unreliable? Or is it a bit like expired Paracetamol: they're only willing to certify a particular lifetime, even though the realistic life expectancy is much longer.
The technology uses a biochemical reaction with an enzyme in the test strip, and this is biodegradable so yes expiry date will be important.