What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I can't believe I said the C word so early in the year. :eek:
Visited my French friend last week and she very proudly showed me the new Christmas decorations she had been making. I was a bit horrified starting so early, but ofc was full of compliments for her creativity. A word I had just learnt.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a good day, food wise.
Early afternoon: cracker (yes, I remembered to open a fresh pack, which was the best part of todays food I think :hilarious:) with marmite and ham. Found out A: I don't like the combination and B: something went very wrong with the marmite portioning, making my cracker pretty much inedible. Nothing to do about it, as I had already injected for it and had the cracker on the run in the car.
Evening meal: No idea how I managed to screw this up, it was a low carb wrap with black pudding and bacon rashers. The bacon came from a different store and acted 'funny' while baking and it was very chewy and not very tasty. The black pudding I somehow managed to make taste very dry, and the wrap was a bit burnt. At least the tomatoes with cheese and mayonnaise I had with my wrap tasted fine.

I also expect I overdid the bolus for my meal (bit of rage bolusing) so I'm contemplating what to eat in the next half hour to avoid the hypo. Not easy, as despite not tasting very good, my meal was pretty filling.

But none of this matters much on rating the day, as I got to save a rather rare bird from the cat! Poes brought in a golden plover late last night, with a small wound on its leg. I put it in a cat carrier for the night with a bowl of water, some chicken food and some cat food (having no idea what kind of bird it was I thought to provide for everything, within the limits of my kitchen).
The bird was still perky this morning so I drove to the nearest bird sanctuary to have it treated for the cat bite or claw. It gets to recover on antibiotics in the sanctuary until it can be released again :happy:
It's such a pretty bird, with the spots on its wings looking like they've been painted on!

116626431_10221481369897989_1002639407613658722_o.jpg

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm being persuaded by Mr C to try making raspberry gin to put away for Christmas and maybe some raspberry brandy while we've got this raspberry glut. I've done it with cherries before (very successfully) and rhubarb with orange (not so successful).

Raspberry gin is delicious. Using the Sous Vide or Nitrous Infusion methods makes things a lot faster.

One of my nicest recent gins was using orange zest. It was delightful.

Thing about the the soft fruit infusions is the fruit is often also lovely - if incredibly potent!

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Elevenses: black coffee with Peanut phd bar
Lunch: a few M&S crispy bacon strips followed by Greek yoghurt, chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: salmon fillet with creamy peppercorn sauce and mixed veg followed by SF jelly, cream and LC vanilla raspberry granola.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It looks more like a chowder at present. It actually tastes fine without lime juice, so I'll leave it as it is and have it about 6 o'clock.

The "chowder" tasted really good, if a little grainy (coconut flour) and I had a bowl of it. Felt quite full. Then stomach started feeling quite sore, then felt sick so had to go and lay down for half an hour while I recovered. Not a good result.

Reactions: DJC3

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Starting not to feel too guilty when indulging in 5-6 rashers of bacon and 2 fried eggs for breakfast. It suddenly dawned that I'm only replacing the slices of bread I would have had with the extra rashers. Somehow 6 rashers of crispy bacon sounds so decadent.

Dinner, fish pie... chunks of salmon, smoked haddock, and cod poached in double cream with diced pieces of extra strong cheddar cheese stirred into the mixture which was then tipped into a pie dish. Mixture topped with creamed steamed cauli, with more cheese spread on top, then baked. So much lovely fat, but I couldn't finish it. My dog would have loved to finish my meal, but I daren't give it to him lest it sets off his irritable bowel. Carbs for dinner added up to 8.8g.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy I feel for you, it must be really hard to resist all the little bakers come sandwich shops in France - when we were in Toulouse last year visiting one of my son's while he stayed there for 9 months as part of his uni course, the city was full of them (my husband and son loved it right enough as neither are diabetic) and also I really struggled as they didn't cook the meat/steaks well done as I would have them, there was still pink in the middle and I couldn't eat it - although, I was odd one out again, the boys said it was just me and they were maybe right enough. Toulouse was a lovely city apart from the food for me.

@Annb and @Goonergal virtual hugs to you both.

@Chook you made me laugh dreaming of pickled eggs! Also, I'd love your extra raspberries would save me a fortune on my Morisons shopping.

Later posting as not long back from my walk - turned out a sunnier evening than day here today. so.....

Brunch - f/f greek yoghurt with all the berries drizzled over with double cream. Cup of earl grey and double cream.

Dinner - Salmon done in a garlic lemon butter with large side salad and dollop of coleslaw.

2 Mini 100% dark chocolate mini eggs filled with peanut butter and couple of teaspoons of extra thick double cream (not going to buy it next week and try and shed the few extra pounds I am carrying at the moment) and I will try and cut back on the other creams next week also. :banghead:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Good day with mum managing to get out with her for a short walk and a visit to a charity shop and lots of new stuff for her she’s delighted. Hoping to take her shopping again tomorrow.
Mum like three small meals so went in that direction too - it’s easier!
Breakfast one rasher of bacon and fried egg
Lunch cheese, celery, a few lc seeded crackers and salted walnuts
Dinner Cajun chicken with salads and glass of soda water with splash of dry white followed by sf jelly and cream.
Planning early morning swim in am before mum wakes luckily she emerges late for breakfast so no rushing! Also means I’m able to fast 16 hours - less time than prefer but a small compromise.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Having a hungry - and clumsy - day today.

Breakfast was smoked salmon and cream cheese.

Mid-morning was air fried crispy bacon and sour cream. That’s where the clumsy bit comes in. Trying to eat and do a video call at the same time. Oops, not just a spillage but full on flying ramekin as my hand slipped resulted in sour cream all over 2 walls, the carpet, my chair and laptop stand. Tips for removal from wall (paint is NOT the washable kind) and carpet gratefully received!

‘Lunch’ was some whipped cream.

Dinner was two small beef short ribs done in the Instant Pot and eaten early while I await a boiler engineer to check out my ailing boiler.

Still hungry........

NOOO! What a pain! I wish I’d been on the other end of your video call though - what on earth did they think was going on?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Mid-morning was air fried crispy bacon and sour cream. That’s where the clumsy bit comes in. Trying to eat and do a video call at the same time. Oops, not just a spillage but full on flying ramekin as my hand slipped resulted in sour cream all over 2 walls, the carpet, my chair and laptop stand. Tips for removal from wall (paint is NOT the washable kind) and carpet gratefully received!

Dinner was two small beef short ribs done in the Instant Pot and eaten early while I await a boiler engineer to check out my ailing boiler.

Still hungry........
Poor you it would be dairy often a problem re smell not just appearance - carpet will be an issue you may need deep cleaning! I spilt milk in car boot once and despite thorough clean smell was persistent. Good luck thinking of you.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Starting not to feel too guilty when indulging in 5-6 rashers of bacon and 2 fried eggs for breakfast. It suddenly dawned that I'm only replacing the slices of bread I would have had with the extra rashers. Somehow 6 rashers of crispy bacon sounds so decadent.

Dinner, fish pie... chunks of salmon, smoked haddock, and cod poached in double cream with diced pieces of extra strong cheddar cheese stirred into the mixture which was then tipped into a pie dish. Mixture topped with creamed steamed cauli, with more cheese spread on top, then baked. So much lovely fat, but I couldn't finish it. My dog would have loved to finish my meal, but I daren't give it to him lest it sets off his irritable bowel. Carbs for dinner added up to 8.8g.

I understand your reticence about the increased bacon, it took me ages too. Now I just rejoice in such a happy quirk of fate that allows it.
Your fish pie sounds delicious but hugs for the dog with IBS!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal

i am sorry to say that I laughed - it was a wonderful mental image - until I realised that you will end up with grease marks all over your wall.
Do you think you will need to redecorate?

today:
B: bovril and a lc hot choc
L: ham and cream cheese rollups and half a bar of Godiva oranf choc :wacky:
D: the weirdly disappointing turkey mince I made. Only 2 portions left o_O

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 good to hear your mum is safely settled at your home and you have a good routine worked out. Full marks for going swimming first thing before she gets up!
@Chook never too early for the C word! I still have my ‘C’ lights up I liked them so much We never took them down. I’m very excited at the thought of raspberry gin. I’ve made it before but always with a ton of sugar, It hadn’t really occurred to me that the sugar wasn’t necessary.
Today’s food has been....
NE1 roast veg ( aubergine, courgette, pepper and mushrooms) with crumbled feta. Then DGF salted caramel brownie and cream
NE2: chicken Provencal https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-provencale lettuce h/m mayo. Red wine
The girls dug up the first of their crop of potatoes. Cooked as requested by parboiling, crushing and adding garlic, olive oil and butter before shoving back in the oven to crisp up. It looked and smelled heavenly and I have saved a spoonful to reheat tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Goonergal just a quickie.... There's some yellow stuff called 'Elbow Grease' from Home Bargains which is brilliant for getting grease off clothes and marks off walls where dogs have rubbed against them. It says on it that it's an all purpose de-greaser. I don't know where else you can get it. It seems to work on most surfaces.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm being persuaded by Mr C to try making raspberry gin to put away for Christmas and maybe some raspberry brandy while we've got this raspberry glut. I've done it with cherries before (very successfully) and rhubarb with orange (not so successful).

I said the C word the other day...only 5 months to go :joyful:
The last of our raspberries always go into alcohol, for Christmas the year after next!
Sometimes its vodka, sometimes brandy, or in cheap years a mix of red wine and brandy works well and is a bit lighter. All have sugar added, unfortunately

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to bed last night determined to fast all day today, so, youve guessed it, woke up starving and all I could think of was food. Strange really as I have happily been 2mad and 18/6 fro a couple of weeks and this was only 12!!

Managed to hold out for couple of hours but succombed to brunch of cheesy scrambled eggs, avocado and a bit of Manchego on the side thinking I'd turn the failed fast into omad, but no ! when cooking for family a small portion of a faux paella fell into a dish for me. Surprisingly it only raised my bg 1.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Weird weather. I always check with the Met Office weather app the night before when I want to do a wash and dry it outdoors - and its generally pretty reliable - so last night it showed today as dry with light cloud and a moderate breeze - and when I got up it was like that - but now its a howling gale with driving sideways rain. My (now) very, very wet washing is dripping on the line! No way am I going out in that rain to get it in. :arghh:

@Goonergal - I hope you find a way to get rid of the grease marks - nothing worse than having that kind of accident after having had so recently decorated.

@DJC3 - I try to put off thinking about C until mid September (I've still got fairy lights up too - they are on my kitchen dresser).

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup
Lunch: Laughing Cow on ryvita - Mr C polished off the rest of the Longley cream cheese - I will definitely get more (lots more)
Dinner: the remainder of the (fake) Hommity pie I made a couple of days ago with a sliced marmande tomato from the greenhouse. The fake Hommity pie has definitely gone on my list of yummy meals I can eat without too much of a BG rise.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Saturday breakfast avocado, bacon fried eggs plunger coffee ended with some really bad heartburn as forgotten to take my somac before eating breakfast. Dinner made t-bone steak brussel sprouts potatoes and green beans with pepper and mushroom gravy
Monday breakfast made pancakes had them with fresh cream butter tried sugar free maple favoured syrup which is disgusting and 2 cups of coffee Lunch Havarti cheese sopressa salami salada biscuits dinner: Had left over t-bone steak brussel sprouts and mushroom gravy and small glass of horseradish vinegar with some pear mango orange and passion fruit smoothie
Tuesday breakfast boiled egg pancake zucchini ricotta slice and some sopressa salami Dinner made a stir fry with left over t-bone steak broccoli cauliflower and cabbage and some basmatti rice. some chocolate with almonds

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evenin’ All,

2 sausages and kefir for breakfast
Forgot to eat lunch
Goulash at 6pm then wensleydale and cashews at 8pm

had a fab dog scamper (well, they scampered, I used the scooter) this morning.
It is an absolute delight to join them on pack walks again.

spent the afternoon feet up, sewing masks. Enjoyed that too. Also pleased with the results. I always forget how much I enjoy sewing.
I have no idea why but, last night I was dreaming about feeding kefir to the grandsons!

Reactions: DJC3 and Brunneria

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Still hungry........
You could try a damp erasure sponge very gently or, if that fails a very mild vinegar solution and a damp cloth. If you have the original paint you can touch the area up again after cleaning if necessary. Hubby managed to get something on our wall and that's the method I used. The danger with an oily mark is if you don't get it out it may seep though a repainting job.