Proposed new tax

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
According to the Times, the Department for Transport are proposing a new tax on webshops as someone suggested the extra deliveries cause more pollution.
Like many other disabled people I rely on online shopping., so this is a tax on disabled people.
I use Ocado which is a web only shop so will be directly hit with such a tax while shops that do local deliveries would not. Yet the evidence is that overall Ocado is probably less polluting that large supermarkets that blast out air conditioning, heating, lighting, etc, and act as an intermediary stop for anyone shopping online from them. Other 'shops' this is aimed at are Amazon and Ebay based shops.
I would prefer HMT to sort out their tax affairs instead.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/web-shoppers-face-levy-on-deliveries-to-cut-pollution-j7xm3b3bl

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
According to the Times, the Department for Transport are proposing a new tax on webshops as someone suggested the extra deliveries cause more pollution.
Like many other disabled people I rely on online shopping., so this is a tax on disabled people.
I use Ocado which is a web only shop so will be directly hit with such a tax while shops that do local deliveries would not. Yet the evidence is that overall Ocado is probably less polluting that large supermarkets that blast out air conditioning, heating, lighting, etc, and act as an intermediary stop for anyone shopping online from them. Other 'shops' this is aimed at are Amazon and Ebay based shops.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/web-shoppers-face-levy-on-deliveries-to-cut-pollution-j7xm3b3bl
Hi @TriciaWs Are you on Facebook or Twitter? Although I'm not, I might suggest you publish your findings. It's amazing how rapidly sympathetic followers begin to cause HM Govt to about turn. I totally agree with you!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @TriciaWs,

You are absolutely correct. I had a student, who did his Bachelor thesis specifically on this topic ... and yes, regular brick and mortar retailers cause more pollution, especially factoring in that people go to several shops (and very often by car) to get all their shopping done.

Guess we can't expect government employees to do as much research as this before deciding on a new tax, can we?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @TriciaWs,

You are absolutely correct. I had a student, who did his Bachelor thesis specifically on this topic ... and yes, regular brick and mortar retailers cause more pollution, especially factoring in that people go to several shops (and very often by car) to get all their shopping done.

Guess we can't expect government employees to do as much research as this before deciding on a new tax, can we?

I used to be a statistician in the Govt Stats Service, retired 10 years ago just before the purges. I did research, public consultations, plus impact analyses for others.
Occasionally naivety would lead people to omit essential areas/facts but not so often as now.
This government first ignored the rules on consultations several times, ignored official parliamentary reproofs no matter how public, then used covid to dismantle the rules. The few impact analyses they actually publish now are a joke, a sick joke on us.
Often it is, or has elements of, naive as they made more and more experienced staff redundant or persuaded them to leave. But the general move is for less consultation, very short deadlines and less effective publication so fewer know.

However, this time I got a a very fast bounce from DfT on my FoI, claiming this is a HMT issue so I must start again.
Not true.
I now suppose this one is not accidental.

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach
Boris Johnson is trying to prevent a recession by getting people into shops, pubs and cafes, even if it risks their lives. Many people, having gotten used to online shopping are reluctant to travel to towns and cities to shop. My husband went to London last week. Caught a rush hour train back. Would normally be sardine time, Three people in his carriage. He thinks if he makes online shopping more expensive, he will force us into supermarkets. I can't see Amazon and supermarkets laking it laying down.