Help/Advice needed urgently

Suechin

Hello.

I was diagnosed with T2 steroid induced diabetes late last year. I have had no support and my GP is proving useless. I had H1 blood test 3 March and still waiting for results. Out of desperation I got a private one done. Result (Friday) 72.79mmol with a note to contact GP urgently. What does this mean? What is it in UK values?

The test was taken at 8.00am with last meal at 5.30pm day before.

Many thanks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Suechin
If the test you are talking about is an HbA1c and your result was 72.79 mmol/m then welcome to the wacky world of T2 diabetes.
Anything over 48 mml/m is in the UK considered to be "full on" T2 so I'm afraid you are now there.
However don't despair many of us have been there too and have recovered back to normal blood sugar levels by changing what we eat.
Remove carbohydrate from your diet as much as possible and recover your health.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look at the link in my signature. Are you still taking steroids?

You need a meter to monitor your numbers. We can help with a meter if you want.

I was a full blown T2 and got it sorted out in quick order
Then I got something else and was put onto steroids. I am weaning off them now but it was very wobbly for a while. Read around the forum and ask questions.

Suechin

Thank you for your quick replies. Unfortunately I am on steroids for life (Addisons Disease). I have a meter. So what, in layman terms, mean as in 8.4? My morning one is around 7.5 but by mid pm it can be 17ish. I get scared to eat in case it goes higher, I am not overweight been told I am slender.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What steroids and what dosage?

What are you eating in a typical day please?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So what, in layman terms, mean as in 8.4?
That was your blood sugar reading (measured in mmol/l) at that exact point in time, the HbA1c (measured in mmol/mol - ie different measurement) is an average for the last 3 months.

The convertor here https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html can convert between your HbA1c and average blood sugar reading (you're HbA1c result is the IFCC one (not DCCT))

Your average blood sugar result going on your HbA1c result has been 11.4mmol/L to compare with your finger prick tests. Obviously though this is just an average and averages can be very deceiving and not really that useful with knowing the range the results varied between - but the HbA1c does not tell you that, only finger prick tests (or continuous monitors) can tell you that.