Repeat prescriptions rant

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
I had a txt today to say my Gp would not consent to my online pharmacy request for my repeat prescription, that I placed a week ago. Txt said that as I had not had my bloods and annual review then they could not process my meds. I had had my bloods done one week ago at the hospital.
I rang the surgery, to be told again that I needed my bloods done for my annual review. My annual review was done in March 2020 at my old Gp and then I moved house and doctors the week before lockdown. I said I have had my review at the old Gp. I also said I had my bloods done last week, at the new Gp request. They again said they had no results and as my meds may need to be altered they wouldn’t issue my repeat meds.
None of my meds are dependant on a blood test!! Lantus, fiasp insulin’s, creon and vit D as I have no pancreas, libre sensors, sharps box and needles! Oh and rosuvastatin.
I pointed out that my daughter might be suing next week after I have expired because I had no insulin! They went away and came back to say they had put the prescription through this time. I cannot book the annual review as they haven’t got any blood results. 3weeks ago the Surgery rang to do a meds’ review. What is going on?
Can they legitimately withhold my prescription? None of this is my fault.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
As long as you've booked an appointment time with them, even if you have to change it, they should be able to continue to issue repeat prescriptions in the meantime. This has been my work-around.

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had similar happen to me in the past. I had my annual check up and my GP checked my medication and deleted a couple of drugs from the list. When I next tried to get a repeat prescription I was told that even though the doctor had reviewed my medication he hadn't marked it as a medication review, so I had to waste my and the doctor's time by booking another appointment:banghead:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sounds like you do need that annual medication review. Note that doesn't have to be connected to your annual diabetes review but may be. The medication review which doesn't needs bloods can be done by phone if a GP/nurse calls whilst looking at you records and discussing your current meter readings etc. Your surgery is being very awkward and you may need to ask to talk to the Practice Manager.

Reactions: EllieM

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was expected to have at least an annual meds review for other issues long before i was diagnosed with T2. If they don't do one they have no way of knowing how you're responding to your existing treatment. However it does sound as though your surgery is being very bloody-minded and shouldn't be withholding vital medications.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Despite what my medical record says, I've never had a medication review.

OK, I'm pretty new (maybe just over 2 years) to having regular medication (for my thyroid), I have noticed a few times when I have had a telephone consultation (usually about the errant thyroid) that my medication had been reset for another 12 months.

I know that doesn't help you at all, but it jut goes to show how differently these things can be handled.

Do you need to actually see the Doc for the review to take place? Could the hospital release your blood results to you GP?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a txt today to say my Gp would not consent to my online pharmacy request for my repeat prescription, that I placed a week ago. Txt said that as I had not had my bloods and annual review then they could not process my meds. I had had my bloods done one week ago at the hospital.
I rang the surgery, to be told again that I needed my bloods done for my annual review. My annual review was done in March 2020 at my old Gp and then I moved house and doctors the week before lockdown. I said I have had my review at the old Gp. I also said I had my bloods done last week, at the new Gp request. They again said they had no results and as my meds may need to be altered they wouldn’t issue my repeat meds.
None of my meds are dependant on a blood test!! Lantus, fiasp insulin’s, creon and vit D as I have no pancreas, libre sensors, sharps box and needles! Oh and rosuvastatin.
I pointed out that my daughter might be suing next week after I have expired because I had no insulin! They went away and came back to say they had put the prescription through this time. I cannot book the annual review as they haven’t got any blood results. 3weeks ago the Surgery rang to do a meds’ review. What is going on?
Can they legitimately withhold my prescription? None of this is my fault.
All pretty stupid and frustrating for you. I am guessing this is a case of someone rigidly following rules without having a clue that with holding meds from a type 1 is liable to be fatal.
I always tick the box about having my reviews done with my consultant which seems to keep my meds coming without an interruption. Probably worth speaking or writing to the practice manager who we would hope to be more sensible than her 'computer says no' team!

Reactions: janeliz

ROE100

Hi

I have also battled with the GP Surgery but never have they refused a prescription - once they did just reduce the quantity ordered and asked me to call. When I got the last YOU MUST have a 'medication review' (sense it is more about lifestyle and funded for the GP surgery) which lasts over half an hour (but with work will mean 3 hours off needed so would have to book it as a half day holiday for a pointless appointment ) and not done by a doctor I wrote a email to the practice manager and explained my recent test results and recent meetings with doctors at the surgery. The advised ok but a doctor will call to go through a few things - doctor called as Covid19 had set in they advised yes they can see the results but because it wasn't logged correctly bsaically the computer said no. They also asked what about a few things like Statins - no thank you and that was that another year before I probably have to do the same.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine's playing silly buggers over my intermittent catheters. I used to get a roughly 4-6 months supply at a time (depending on whether I use the 3 a day I'm supposed to, or the 2 a day I generally do) but they've quartered that to approximately 4-6 weeks. I've been on the phone, and they refuse to change it. So now I have to reorder 8 times a year rather than 2, and be home for 8 deliveries a year rather than 2 as well. Bear in mind that I'm a long way off dead (I hope) and these things have a shelf life of about 2 years. Sending 6 months worth at a time makes sense to me. The supplier seems surprised at the restricted quantities, too.

It's frustrating because the supplier sent me some samples of a new type, and asked me if I wanted to change. Pros and cons to both, but I had a slight preference for the new ones, so asked them to swap them out. The others were working just fine for me, and if I'd left well alone, I'd still be getting a 6 boxes of 60 rather than 3 boxes of 30.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6 years in and never had a review. I see the consultant yearly and have never seen Gp for diabetes related issues. If I ever had an issue I would contact my hospital team immediately.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @janeliz, I see you've managed to sort it. My take is never mind about reviews/red tape/procedures and so on, they can be looked into AFTER you get your life saving medicine!!! Absolutely disgraceful, do they expect you to wait for around 6 days getting iller & iller because by day 7 you are likely to no longer need it. Anyone in this position should get down to their surgery immediately and refuse to leave without a prescription. I'd like to see them contacting the police to explain this one. Of course all of us should comply with reviews, I get that but blackmailing you like this?, complain bitterly, they have NO excuse. x

aard

I've never had a medication review. I request online and it gets approved. They literally have no idea if the dose they give me is working. And my meds are supposed to be at the very least annually reviewed.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My pharmacist does my medicine reviews which, in a way, is the best option because they understand the effects of the meds and how they interact with each other etc.

Reactions: Robbity

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For a Type 1 If you're looked after by the hospital diabetes centre then the medication revue isn't anything to do with the gp surgery and the surgery can't withhold your insulin, the gp is just required to sign the script.

It's always worth requesting a same day callback from a doctor and they'll do this if you present on the phone as 'urgent' then the doctor (in my experience and I've had this happen intermittently for over 30 years) is cool about it and signs the script.

Reactions: KK123

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My pharmacist does my medicine reviews which, in a way, is the best option because they understand the effects of the meds and how they interact with each other etc.
We have a small pharmacy attached to our surgery, and the previous two pharmacists knew regulars and would keep an eye on things, the last one also doing her own mini reviews. It's all been revamped recently and don't I think the latest one knows any of us from Adam...:banghead: