baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Sorry in advance for this bit of a rant.

I'm one of the fortunate ones in that lockdown was good for me. My mental health improved and for the first time in a long time I feel like I'm actually taking control of my diabetes.

However, and I'm sure many others feel the same, I am terrified to return to work.
  • There's no screens between desks that mean we work face to face.
  • No break rooms so all food breaks and management will need to be done at that desk.
  • Nobody will be wearing masks.
  • All cleaning and sanitising is up employees.
I just feel hopeless about the situation. Did I mention I'm in the North West where we're having a spike of cases? I already spoke to my GP about not returning to the office, I can do my job perfectly well from home, but they won't get involved with the situation.

I don't think there is any solution to this, I just wanted to vent and complain a bit so if you made it this far thank you!

X

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your post doesn't make clear whether you are describing the old conditions that you used to work in, pre-Covid, or the conditions that you anticipate working in once you return.

Most of the offices and work environments I have heard of seem to be implementing all sorts of measures, as specified by government guidance - such as screens, one way systems, reducing the number of people in at any one time, and so on. Many employers are finding that they simply cannot fit the full number of workers into the existing office space, and are expecting large numbers of staff to continue working from home for the foreseeable.

I suggest you contact your employer and find out how they are implementing the government guidance on social distancing at work, and what measures they are taking. If they are not following government guidance, then you may be entitled to wear a mask, and ask for a risk assessment. Obviously, different jobs and work situations will vary, but you can find the govt guidance for your type of job on the www.gov.uk website, so that you know what to expect.

Regarding your point about sanitising. To be honest, I would be MUCH happier doing it myself, rather than leaving it to someone else. At least then I would know it had been done properly.

Reactions: baby_angel

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your post doesn't make clear whether you are describing the old conditions that you used to work in, pre-Covid, or the conditions that you anticipate working in once you return.

Most of the offices and work environments I have heard of seem to be implementing all sorts of measures, as specified by government guidance - such as screens, one way systems, reducing the number of people in at any one time, and so on. Many employers are finding that they simply cannot fit the full number of workers into the existing office space, and are expecting large numbers of staff to continue working from home for the foreseeable.

I suggest you contact your employer and find out how they are implementing the government guidance on social distancing at work, and what measures they are taking. If they are not following government guidance, then you may be entitled to wear a mask, and ask for a risk assessment. Obviously, different jobs and work situations will vary, but you can find the govt guidance for your type of job on the www.gov.uk website, so that you know what to expect.

Regarding your point about sanitising. To be honest, I would be MUCH happier doing it myself, rather than leaving it to someone else. At least then I would know it had been done properly.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'm happy to clean my space for the same reason as you but I can't clean the whole office and I'm not sure it's being done as frequently as it should be.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, those are the conditions I know I am returning to. Other people are already in the office and have told me what the work situation is like. I've checked government guidelines for my line of work and I'm confident that the secure guidelines are not being met, face to face working all day with no PPE for example doesn't seem secure to me.

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: Daphne917 and ert

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I have grave doubts about the validity and weight of that statement..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depression and anxiety easily can trigger diabetes in the future. Because stress first does cortisol hormone extraction and that does make things go bad. This is related afterwards, after years in most cases to get this sickness.

could you please provide some evidence for that statement?
The reason I am asking is because I doubt there is a human alive who has not experienced some form of depression and anxiety, so to establish it as a causative factor in developing either T1, or T2, or any other type of diabetes would be challenging, so I would be interested to see some proper evidence.