Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi just new on here tonight just been diagnosed with type 2

and my heads all over the place what not to eat and what to eat

Just looking on here to get some info

Starstruck111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m prob not the best qualified as my type is controlled with insulin and my understanding is newly diagnosed t2’s would be on medication. I think the key is low carb, so all the good stuff is out. Plenty of meat and veggies and healthy high fat foods. Hope your doing ok though x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there @Sweet enough font need sugar and welcome to the forum.

It can be a confusing time when first diagnosed, but the good news is you’ve come to the right place for help and support. Lots of friendly folk on here!

You mentioned you’re not sure about what to eat. As @Starstruck111 says, addressing diet by reducing carbohydrates is very important to reduce blood sugar levels. You might find the dietary information in this link useful: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/ and the dietdoctor.com website is great place for information and food ideas.

It would also help others to give the best advice/support if you update your profile to say whether you’re taking any medications for your diabetes as this can impact on food choices.

In the meantime I’ll tag @JoKalsbeek for her useful food information.

Edited to add tag.

Last edited:

KarenGG

It is confusing and a little scary, I was diagnosed in March, this group has been a great help, read through everything and it won’t be so scary.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi just new on here tonight just been diagnosed with type 2

and my heads all over the place what not to eat and what to eat

Just looking on here to get some info
So much for taking a break i guess.... Just one quick link-share then: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html Sorry it took so long, i was off for a while. And will be again.

Just know you're going to be okay. There's hope here.
Jo, signing off again. ;)

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
For your long term health you need to cut out as many carbs as possible so very little or nothing of the following:
Bread
Rice
Pasta
Potatoes
Sugar
Flour

Obviously anything made with the above is not good for you. Watch out for fruit as much if it is too high in natural sugars (any sugar source is not good for you, there are no ‘healthy’ sugars for diabetics). No fruit juice or smoothies.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For your long term health you need to cut out as many carbs as possible so very little or nothing of the following:
Bread
Rice
Pasta
Potatoes
Sugar
Flour

Obviously anything made with the above is not good for you. Watch out for fruit as much if it is too high in natural sugars (any sugar source is not good for you, there are no ‘healthy’ sugars for diabetics). No fruit juice or smoothies.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks

just Woukd lofe to know a few options for breakfast , lunch and dinner
Many folk just skip breakfast and fast til they are hungry. At the weekend I do ‘treat’ myself to something that resembles my carb-laden past, because leisurely, carb-tastic weekend breakfasts were really important to me back in the day and I enjoy maintaining the habit in a LCHF way. So I might have home-made keto scones, drenched in melting butter, or sweet (with an appropriate sweetener) or savoury chaffles (low-carb waffles made with mozzerella - you don’t taste the cheese unless you up the volume with something with more flavour!) Chaffles are a great snack or light meal. Of course anything bacon and eggy is fine, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, kippers... I believe some people on here make a keto ‘porridge’. So there is loads of choice, if you care to research it - but most of it does require a bit of assembly and cooking.

My go-to lunch, on the days I eat it, is salami or other cold meat, good cheese and a couple of tomatoes. Dinner is usually protein (chicken, pork, beef, fish, omelette) with some green veg, or some sort of one-pot meal which I make in bulk and freeze - ‘pasta’ sauce, curry, fish stew, meat stew, chilli. All usually followed by some fruit (strawberry, rasps, blueberries) and double cream or full-fat Greek yoghurt.

All tested by my meter and consumed in quantities that cause me no issues. :cat: