Is it possible to get a private Hba1c test or alternative?

Muddling Through

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure I read somewhere recently on here about being able to buy a testing kit or a private test for a Hba1c or an alternative?

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? I had one done recently at my GP and would like to do another one in 3 months however my GP will not repeat the test within a 12 month period, so I'm looking for other areas I could get this done and I'm sure I read about a similar case on here recently.

Thanks for any help.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

This company is reliable - have used them a number of times myself. Unfortunately their summer sale ended last night, but there are often discounts.

https://medichecks.com/

There is also a company called Thriva doing similar, but I have no experience of their service.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Our local wellness shop (food, yoga, physio and other treatments) also offers a HbA1c service. I have not used it but you may have something similar locally.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as Medichecks, I have used MonitorMyHealth. monitorMyHealth is run from the NHS labs at Exeter NHS Trust, in the evenings, and weekends, when the machines are not usually busy, so their prices are competitive, and you can be pretty confident you're looking at as near like-for-like as you can.

They're quick and efficient and easy to deal with.

For full disclosure, I haven't used their HbA1c tests, but have done several times for Thyroid tests.

They can be found here: https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/

Just scroll down to see the tests they offer.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure I read somewhere recently on here about being able to buy a testing kit or a private test for a Hba1c or an alternative?

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? I had one done recently at my GP and would like to do another one in 3 months however my GP will not repeat the test within a 12 month period, so I'm looking for other areas I could get this done and I'm sure I read about a similar case on here recently.

Thanks for any help.
You could always point your GP at the NICE guidelines which contradict what they say

Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 08.31.08.png

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2

Seems more and more GP's want to ignore these.

Muddling Through

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as Medichecks, I have used MonitorMyHealth. monitorMyHealth is run from the NHS labs at Exeter NHS Trust, in the evenings, and weekends, when the machines are not usually busy, so their prices are competitive, and you can be pretty confident you're looking at as near like-for-like as you can.

They're quick and efficient and easy to deal with.

For full disclosure, I haven't used their HbA1c tests, but have done several times for Thyroid tests.

They can be found here: https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/

Just scroll down to see the tests they offer.
Many thanks for this, I've just had a look and ordered one.

Muddling Through

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could always point your GP at the NICE guidelines which contradict what they say

View attachment 43104
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2

Seems more and more GP's want to ignore these.
Thank you! I have 'only' been diagnosed prediabetic so I fall out of this category. If however I don't action it quickly enough and do get diagnosed as T2, then I'll be quick to point this out. Thank you for the information.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Muddling Through

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thought I would update this, I ordered a full lipid profile and HbA1c from monitormyhealth.org.uk

What a marvellous service! Prices were very reasonable, I did the test at home on Monday, sent them special delivery for Tuesday (only due to RM delays) and my results were up on Tuesday afternoon in a very clear and easy to use format.

Even better - I'm no longer prediabetic!
My total cholesterol was 3.9, so I'm thrilled with the results and I intend to redo these every 6 month or so to keep me on track.

Since my original diagnosis a short time ago, I changed my eating habits quite dramatically, I'm now fairly low carb but the plan is to stick to it until Christmas, then look to gradually introduce carbs again, with the help of my BG monitor to see if I can bring it up to around 100g.

My palate has nearly completely changed, gone are the sugar cravings and bloating. I feel so much better and it brings with it a pleasant (and much welcomed!) side affect of weightloss.

Thanks to this community, it has helped me along my way and I intend to stay on the straight and narrow!