Freestyle libre

susan96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey,

Just looking for a bit of advice on the best way to get the sensors to stick for longer than a couple of days. Any help appreciated.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Well, we all have our individual technique.

Follow the destructions in the box.

Or, I place mine inside the arm, not afraid to use a razor on stray hairs? (Though the inside arm is smooth.)
Normally I do a change after a shower exfoliate the area the sensor is to be sited, dry. Then clean with the alcohol wipe.
Dry again with a hairdryer. Especially in winter warming the adhesion area up.
Prep the sensor then bang. Making sure the edges are firmly stuck down.

I've never personally lost a sensor prematurely to date. & tested the adhesion on on for 17 days till I got bored with a 3 day dead disk.

The above may sound like a bit of a faff. But most of the prep is done whilst bathing anyway.
I also don't use deodorant till the sensor is in place.

Hope this gives an insight.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I make sure I clean the area thoroughly with provided antiseptic wipes. After applying the sensor, I use a strip of kinesiology tape.

Reactions: M@ and Brunneria

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a patch of Hypafix Transparent over the sensor. It's the same stuff as Tegaderm, different manufacturer.

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I shave the patch on my arm and then let it completely dry, clean the area with the wipes in the box and then let it completely dry. After I insert the sensor hold I it down for about 30 seconds to make sure it's properly stuck.

I have lost one sensor but when I contacted Freestyle Libre about it they sent me a free replacement which was handy! It seems like there's a lot of trial and error getting these things to stay on unfortunately!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It seems like there's a lot of trial and error getting these things to stay on unfortunately!
I think its also very related to skin type (ie, oily, dry, hairy, smooth, whatever), because for me they stick to me like superglue with very little preparation, its a challenge to get off after 2 weeks.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Some good advice already given here. Definitely use the wipes in the box and allow to dry - fully. I use the insides of my arm as its a little flatter there. I really have to peel them off after 14 days, they stick to me like limpets

Reactions: kev-w

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the wipes, then 4 layers of Cavillon spray as I am allergic to the sensor. Then cover with Opsite Flexifix with a piece of lint In the middle. Change half way through. I started doing this for swim training and even though I have not been in the pool for 4 months I still do it. I am a little rough and tend to knock them, wether on the inside or outside of arm. It’s a bit of a palaver but works well. Luckily most of our waste in Leeds is incinerated and turned into electricity. So no worries about landfill @In Response Just expense!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use their wipes and put a 'Tegaderm' patch over it and I've not knocked one off yet, I've used a Miaomiao on top of that this year too.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another possible option. Is this sort of reusable & washable sensor saver jobbie.
Or in my case bespoke cut for the "bridge" of choice.. The one that came with the MM kit kept shifting with daily use..
Removable for bathing. (or just charging the unit.)
I've also noticed I don't get a "tide Mark" round the perimeter of the patch any more..

image.jpeg

Reactions: porl69