Camping Help!

NaomiT

I'm 8 weeks post T2 diagnosis Living my best LCHF life, losing weight and feeling good. But....off to France for a fortnight camping. Already slightly gutted at not joining my family on the daily visit to the bakery, I'm pretty stumped on what to cook. Previous years its been lots of easy pasta & rice based meals, packets and jars and longer life veg as our camping fridge is tiny. Any suggestions /advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance. Naomi

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What about eggs? You could boil up a few at a time and store them in the fridge.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I can empathise with you! We used to do a lot of tent camping but now have gone 'posh' in a motorhome. In the olden days we lived on tins and packets of 'Smash' and lots of fry-ups.
In our MH we do have a small fridge and it's great but we do have to restock after about a week. However we do pack quite a bit of fresh veg when we go away and it lasts us pretty well. We pop it in a box and store it in the shade under the MH.
As far as your trip goes, much depends on what you can source locally. Bacon, sausages, cheese, meats. We make sugar-free jellies with a few bits of fruit in them and store in the shade. There's loads of low carb ways of creating tasty meals that don't require bread or pasta. Haloumi or any cheese fried with almond flour and parmesan coating, ditto cougettes.
I wouldn't worry too much - you'll be on holiday and a few high carb treats won't kill you. Just take it easy on them, enjoy and repent when you get home!

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 8 weeks post T2 diagnosis Living my best LCHF life, losing weight and feeling good. But....off to France for a fortnight camping. Already slightly gutted at not joining my family on the daily visit to the bakery, I'm pretty stumped on what to cook. Previous years its been lots of easy pasta & rice based meals, packets and jars and longer life veg as our camping fridge is tiny. Any suggestions /advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance. Naomi

Yes have plenty of eggs nuts and cheese sticks and olives

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Naomi - I feel your pain. Three weeks after diagnosis, I went off on a 9 month sailing trip, where one regular(ish) port of call was Deshaies, Guadeloupe, where Death in Paradise is filmed (https://i0.wp.com/www.spiritofargo..../2013/12/Des-view-of-anchorage-from-beach.jpg). Anchoring offshore, the tradition was waking early, cup of tea, then one of us rib it into the village to buy fresh bread.

From then on, the trip simply became breash bread and a trip to the charcuterie for cold meats and cheese. After a few days, we didn't bother with the bakery any more.

When sailing, our provisioning options were limited, due to the size of the fridge and freezer, but we did just fine, with finding efficient ways of packing the fridge and freezer, and finding ways to keep veggies in the shade, but in a breeze.

Have a fab holiday. The French have some great food, so I doubt you'll go hungry at all.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just back from 2 weeks camping in France, I must admit all that lovely fresh bread was very tempting, but I managed to stay on the straight & narrow 90% of the time. Lots of fresh fish/seafood and meat with salads for dinners and cold meats/cheeses for brunch

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just back from 2 weeks camping in France, I must admit all that lovely fresh bread was very tempting, but I managed to stay on the straight & narrow 90% of the time. Lots of fresh fish/seafood and meat with salads for dinners and cold meats/cheeses for brunch

That honestly sounds lovely and what France would be.........

NaomiT

Thanks folks! Feeling more positive that I can do this. Not been to France since I was a kid and all I remember is crepes and croissants the size of my head! Veg in a box in the shade is a great idea, lower gi fruit would be ok like this too I guess. Its nice to be 'talking' with people who wouldn't disapprove of brie for breakfast!!

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
If you can get hold of any greek yoghurt, bring chia seeds and maybe some roasted pecans with you..

NaomiT

Well, I'm back and overall feeling quite smug about how I managed. Over the two weeks I did cheat a bit: three plain croissants (tasted like heaven!), one savoury filled crepe, two macaroons, a very thin crust fresh pizza and probably half a small load of sourdough bread (mainly as a vessel for cheese). Apart from that, and a small amount of buckwheat noodles, it was veg, salad, meat and cheese, plus some fruit. Most of the cheating was in the second week, but I didn't account for all the extra exercise I was doing - got on the scales yesterday 2kg lighter!! Very pleased and encouraged to move more seeing how much exercise helped. Thanks again for the support. X

Reactions: Tony337

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My memories of camping in France are all the cheese, charcuterie, especially those lovely dried sausages and rillettes, huge fresh ripe tomatoes, salad, olives and then more cheese... don't really remember the bread much, because it was just a boring vehicle to carry the nice stuff. :D Now I use a fork instead.

I would struggle to resist the gorgeous prunes from the markets though.

Reactions: Flora123 and NaomiT

fisher55

It is hard to stay apart at all these delicious food during the camping, for these purposes I tried to cook myself. To organize a camping is a serious and long process. I always try to arrange everything in a best way. And in addition to a long checklist that I have I also need to cook meals for several days. It can be hard but this is the reality that we face when we are diagnosed by diabetes. One I was invited at a camping that was arranged by my friend. He told me that they cooked different food and I will have what to eat. But then when I saw these meals I realised that I had nothing to eat and I had to cook myself some food in the evening under the bright and long lasting lanterns.

Last edited:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Time to hire a barbecque. Grill a bit of halloumi or peppers, aubergines and curgettes.
A chia seed pudding can work if you can soak the seeds overnight in almond milk with some cocoa.
If you did happen to have the odd croissant please enjoy as that is part of the fun of going to France n'est ce pas? (eating too much toast and cereal in the UK sn't btw).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would normally be at the week long Sidmouth folk festival this week - the first week in August each year. This is the fist time in a very long time I have been at home.
Whilst camping out I would go to the butcher on the way back to drive out to the camp site, or to the fish stall or sometimes to the supermarket for salad and eggs/cheese. What is funny is how many people from big posh motor homes or tents the size of small bungalows go past sucking in the smells of my cooking or even come and ask me what I have got to eat that morning or evening and groan as I fire up my two small camping stoves and start to chop - but perhaps they are restricted to 'healthy' options

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might be worth taking some carb friendly snacks with you in case you are tempted. When we went to France I made sure I had a couple of loaves of LivLife bread with me just in case I was tempted by a baguette. As it happened I had to fight my family off as they kept eating it rather than the French stuff! So many lovely cheeses and meat to satisfy a low carb WOE

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How about some dried meats, such as biltong and jerky? Both are easy to store, low carb enough to be keto friendly, and don't need refrigeration. I'm quite partial to the pre-sliced packs of chorizo as a snack. These do need refrigerating (at least they're stored in the fridge in the shop) but they take up very little space.

Tins of tuna (in brine rather than oil.) I've always enjoyed just opening one of those, draining and eating the contents. I often do that for my lunch, even at home.

Pickled eggs could be an option, though the Internet seems to disagree over sugar content, so check the label. They're also an acquired taste (I have a bit of a love hate thing going on with them. They're kind of gross, but in a very moreish way.)

Reactions: HSSS