What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Happy birthday @shelley262
More fingers crossed for Mr C and his colleague @Chook

Just contemplating why I don’t eat lamb every day having devoured two delicious Barnsley lamb chops for dinner. Yum. Back to the butcher’s tomorrow.
Prior to that brunch was 2 Waitrose 1 free range Cumberland sausages, 2 Iceland burgers (not v nice, but that’s the end of the packet) and 4 small rashers streaky bacon.
And far too much double cream and Lindt 90%.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 Happy Birthday to the birthday girl - I hope you have had a lovely day and meal out - enjoy!:happy:

@Chook Fingers and everything else crossed for you that your hubby and you are ok - try not to worry but I know it is easier said than done at the moment.:inpain:

@Goonergal sorry to hear of your bad day - so sorry but it made me laugh - I could just imagine it - it happens to the best of us at times, even your boss - these times are sent to try us :banghead:

@Ann B - Take care Mrs

Brunch - f/f greek yoghurt with all the berries, cinnamon added and drizzled with double cream. Cup of earl grey with double cream.

Dinner - low carb pizza (base made with mozzarella cheese, eggs and garlic granules added) toppings were tinned tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and more cheese - it was absolutely delicious and I never thought I would say this but I actually prefer it to pizza made with dough - so cheesey - lovely jubbly. Basically all the same ingredients I use for my omlettes but I just cooked it slightly different - result. Nothing else as so full, I have left a quarter for tomorrow's breakfast and probably next time I make it I will probably eat half with a side salad and the same the day after - not doing it today as I already have tomorrow's dinner in and organised.

May/may not go walk tonight - depending on weather - it was heavy rain the whole day yesterday and so far same today but in the last wee while it has gone off so I will check out the forecast and decide.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all

Just waiting to hear if the co-worker that Mr C often shares work space with has got Covid. His wife tested positive (got the result late yesterday afternoon) and her husband now has to isolate for two weeks but not before he and Mr C were in the same office for eight hours on both Monday and Tuesday - ironically the meetings were about planning their strategy should any staff be tested positive. :nailbiting:

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers
Lunch: Laughing Cow on ryvita
Dinner: aubergine, tomato and mozzarella bake and green salad

Hug for you and Mr C, and hope he wasn't exposed to the virus. Feel sorry for his colleague, too. Keeping fingers crossed for you both.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What's happening about all these gastric upsets you are continually having Ann?

Just leaving things as they appear to be doesn't feel, to me in any case, like a sensible way forward - especially as a former bowel cancer patient.

To be crystal clear, I am not suggesting you are having another visitation by the Big C, but who knows? At the very least, it is not inconceivable that you are becoming increasingly malnourished by malabsorption issues, not to mention what sounds like purgative impacts of the upsets.

As someone who experienced significantly imbalanced electrolytes, due to extreme diarrhoea, as a result of naso-gastric feeding (not an uncommon side-effect in NG fed patients), I would not wish that on anyone. It impacted every single aspect of my life and almost killed me.

Surely these things need checked out.

To be honest? Not a thing happening. The only thing I have heard is that I have to redo the test for bowel cancer - no explanation, just do it again. I seem to have spells when everything upsets my stomach - last endoscopy I had - 2 years ago now, found some polyps in my stomach, which they removed and the colonoscopy (same time) found 2 there as well. They were not concerned about them - not far enough developed to be dangerous, but they removed them anyway. Now waiting for the system to get started again so that I can get checked again. The doctor I spoke to to get onto the list, assured me that one way or another, she would get me onto an early list, once they start up again - unless they find something to concern them in the bowel cancer sample test, in which case she will get me on straight away.

Felt very poorly today, but it was probably my own fault. I saw a gluten free loaf with fairly low carb content in the local shop and had a slice with Marmite for breakfast. Then had the last of the leek and coconut soup, with cream in the early afternoon. Then felt awful - indigestion but also pulse all over the place and a bit woozy. Checked, BG 9.9, so it wasn't that. Seems to me like a reaction to something - the list of ingredients in the bread looks OK, but I'd better throw it out.

It didn't help that Neil decided to get some more boxes of crockery down from the loft, so that I could pack unwanted stuff for a charity shop. Didn't part with much of it, so have spent ages washing stuff and finding homes for it.

Then he decided, since his shielding has ended, and he was going to the charity shop anyway, to go to a building supplies shop in Stornoway and get the shelving I have been asking him to sort out for me. That all had to be unloaded and, surprisingly, he immediately set about cutting it all into the correct lengths, dumping the cut shelves in my bedroom, leaning against the bed. Should be OK, I usually sleep on the other side!

I have a birthday coming up (75, but no free TV licence) and Neil has given me clip on lights to encourage my indoor pot plants to grow - our low light levels holds them back. They are infra-red and ultra-violet and cast a cerise glow over the room. Very attractive. I usually tell them all to forget my birthday - I don't need presents but both boys usually ignore me, arriving a day or so early, or late with something they "just saw and thought I would like. Definitely not a birthday present."

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook yet more fingers and toes crossed for you here. It must be a worry.
@shelley262 hope you’ve had a lovely birthday, I’m so glad you managed to spend it with your mum too.
@Annb hugs for all the unexplained upsets. It’s lovely that your boys ignore you and get you presents anyway. I hope you have a lovely birthday.
Today NE1 around 12:30 was ham salad with h/b egg and .... drumroll... a spoonful of potato salad! 1 x 30g spud from our garden cooked yesterday and chopped into h/m mayo and chives to make potato salad. Bg rose 0.8 at 2hrs. I thought that was acceptable until I tested at 4hrs it was now 0.9 higher than pre meal so it seems the reverting to normal is not happening quickly. Does anyone know if you are meant to reheat the potato to get the resistant starch. I just refrigerated overnight and ate it cold.
NE2 around 6pm was pork stroganoff cauli rice and spinach with 2 glasses red.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Elevenses: black coffee with brownie phd bar
Lunch: Babybels and pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC granola.
Dinner: night off cooking, still at Mum’s, Chinese takeaway crispy duck, three small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies (I confess I stole one piece of lemon chicken from Mum, my favourite pre D) followed by SF jelly, cream and strawberries.

Edit to add: I usually only post fasting bloods and HbA1c updates on the forum, but I was really chuffed with tonight’s reading, 4.8 before dinner and even with one more pancake than usual and a stolen piece of lemon chicken I was 4.7 afterwards :happy:

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They say the weather is going to be awful for at least a week, starting tomorrow. Tropical temperatures, and I really don't do well with heat.
So I cooked enough for 4 days to save myself doing that chore. Today I've eaten it looking pretty, next 3 days it will be thrown together and microwaved, which will be tasty as well :)

Cauliflower rice with a green beans dish with mushrooms, onion, red and green bell pepper, spring onions, and things like garlic, turmeric and black bean sauce. The meat is pork belly pieces from the oven, having been marinating since yesterday and baked today :hungry:.

117167770_10221504539357211_1580315621153580319_o.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back from Birthday celebs at pub wonderful day and great evening felt very safe all one way system and good social distancing plus they were excellent re advice for low carb food.
Breakfast smoked salmon with scrambled eggs on toasted chaffle
Lunch range of cheese - a very good friend of mine from school days in York’s sent me a cheese and gin hamper , she organised it from my fave cheese shop in Ludlow even though she lives up north - so so thoughtful I’ve got some lovely friends. Another wonderful friend had sent me a mixed cake selection box from DGF yum.......but they are stashed in freezer for now!
Dinner at pub after pre dinner Ludlow gin and soda water, then starter of prawn cocktail and salad leaves with no Marie Rose sauce just lemon and olive oil dressing and main of rib eye steak, cabbage and leek with big lump of butter,and a field mushroom with glass of prossecco. Just home and had decaff coffee with a hm lc truffle.
Planning an early morning swim tomorrow before mum wakes and later an afternoon shopping trip to m and s with her. Also need to ring and complain or investigate with montezumas who haven’t delivered my order made two weeks ago! Spoke a week ago and they said they’d resolve but it’s not appeared yet!!
Thank you for all your birthday wishes and wishes for your 75th @Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast smoked salmon with scrambled eggs on toasted chaffle
Lunch range of cheese - a very good friend of mine from school days in York’s sent me a cheese and gin hamper
Ludlow gin and soda water, then starter of prawn cocktail and salad leaves with no Marie Rose sauce just lemon and olive oil dressing and main of rib eye steak, cabbage and leek with big lump of butter,and a field mushroom with glass of prossecco. Just home and had decaff coffee with a hm lc truffle.
Now there's a birthday menu! And you have a very good friend indeed, sounds like the perfect birthday present!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fingers crossed indeed Mr and Mrs Chook .

D:last night, pork belly with cauliflower cheeses and courgettes straight from the garden. 30g melon and some cream for afters. To all set me up well to fast 24 hours...and I did it.!!!
Wasn't hungry in the morning, got pangs at lunch time but we were out so just carried on walking and drinking water. Had a herbal tea from the cafe at the end. Very proud of myself.
D 50g yoghurt before going to pub, then chicken curry no rice but did eat the poppadom. They were doing new low calorie mixers that didn't have any nutrtional info on the label so tried a ginger ale, but it just tasted of sugar water so changed to plain soda water instead. When we got home found the second ingredient listed is 'pure fructose' and each 200ml bottle is 8g carbs (40 calories) so glad I spurned it.

Best of all fasting and preprandial all under 6 and highest pp was7.2.
First time in 3 weeks I've seen any 5s at all

Have to be up early in the morning to take cats to vets for annual check, which always seems to be on hottest day of year. First job is to catch them...:cat::clown::cat:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
5.15 am. I've been up for an hour. Gave up trying to sleep at 4 am today.

FBG 5.5! Great for me. That's after a slight hike in the insulin last night, following suggestion from the diabetes nurse.

Just tested again at one hour and it is up to 6.5. I think I had better have breakfast early to stop it rising too far. That'll be scrambled eggs, which shouldn't be too bad for my sore stomach - currently feels just a bit empty kind of sore but where my gall bladder once was feels as though something is smouldering (literally), so I'd better be careful today.

I'll try to avoid lunch - but if necessary I may try Neil's trick of mackerel tinned in brine. Sounds pretty awful to me, but it works for him.

Then I'll be able to have an evening meal of a simple salad with some prosciutto.

I was going to try the pickled eggs I made a few days ago, but probably not a good idea today.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thank you for all the finger crossings and positive thoughts. At the moment Mr C's colleague has had a negative test but he has to go back for another one after five days as it might be too early for the virus to show up on a test. So the waiting goes on. His wife was diagnosed by a test while she was having those routine tests you get in the run up to any medical procedure (she's got something wrong with her digestive system so was having a camera put down). She had no covid symptoms at all. What was quite amusing is that they are both super fit (they frequently run marathons) and are really annoyed that all their super fitness didn't protect them from it.

Mr C and his colleague normally don't share an office but they had to at the beginning of the week for a two day meeting to work out a Covid procedure for their own depot and whether its possible to share staff with other nearby depots if their staff start getting it and also to review their working procedures to ensure social distancing. :meh:

@Antje77 - that looks gorgeous!! Good idea to cook up front for very hot weather

@MrsA2 - very well done on those lovely BG numbers

@shelley262 - lovely food and I'm so glad you had a good time

@Annb - many happy returns for your birthday. Do you do carb counting to calculate how much insulin to take?

@DJC3 - potato salad? NOOOOOOOO Now I'm going to think about it all day!!!!! :arghh:

@DCUKMod - Mr C's favourite home made tipples are black cherry brandy (or vodka) made with Sainsbury's frozen cherries (has to be Sainsbury's) and rhubarb and ginger run or brandy. I don't particularly like spirits - or, rather, they don't like me.

@Goonergal - I'm doing a veggie version of your Five Guys favourite dinner today :)

So....
Breakfast: omelette with carb free syrup (raspberry and lemon)
Lunch: bit of cheese (I would prefer to skip lunch but when I do my liver 'helpfully' gives me a glucose boost in the late afternoon)
Dinner: two very nice vegetarian burgers on a bed of grilled onions and mushrooms then topped with melted cheese - served with a sliced marmande tomato

This evening is the start of our weekend so a glass or two of red wine will be consumed

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
@shelley262 belated happy birthday, your meal and presents sound fab! @Annb early happy birthday wishes to you. Hope the sore tum gets better pronto! @Chook sorry the wait goes on. I personally think there’s an element of luck in getting Covid or not. We dont go out to work and apart from some medical appointments are not going to shops or going to stay anywhere. We are by nature very risk averse! I do think people have to respect other’s choices though.
Today breakfast was usual slice HiLo toast, butter, lots of tea.
Lunch as a Keto cheese scone sandwiched with Shropshire Blue, mug of broccoli soup.
Supper will be Chunky Cod *** and cauliflower florets.

My FBG and bg generally has come down a bit in the last two days which I am very glad about. Not really sure but I am back on high dose sublingual vit c Which I believe helps me.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
so i am so shocked with what has happened in Lebanon Beruit. I have family there and I do know one of my relatives have lost their apartment but luckily they were away on the day so were not home. and my family on my mother side have heard that no one has been hurt but not sure about my fathers side but must of my family are in the villages so pray that they are all okay. the country has been through so much it is very sad. can 2020 please start showing some healing to the world now I think it is time for the world to heal please Lord.

my meals last few days Wednesday breakfast/brunch wasn't feeling like I could eat so made an almond milk and a frozen banana chocolate shake
dinner for some reason had a craving for baked beans I haven't eaten them for years so went up the road and brought a few tins and had baked beans on cheese sourdough toast I just needed comfort food I think after hearing what happened in Lebanon.
Thursday breakfast slice of sour dough bread and scrambled eggs black coffee
dinner made butter chicken with basmati rice

not low carb meals of late and have noticed my psoriasis is flaring up again so I am thinking that I am overdoing the bread surprisingly my BSL have been okay and I've even lowered my diamacron to 30 mr

tonight watched the 2020 fat fiction movie on your tube it was interesting but a lot of fact checking needs to be made on some of the facts such as the low fat diet as it is my understanding is that the low fat diet actually in 1961 when fist introduced to USA was for people who had health issues such as heart health overweight and diabetes etc., it was not initially pushed as the diet for everyone and to seek medical advise when changing their diet. but somewhere along the way this was then changed when the American dietary guidance, initially intended for a clinical population, became part of public health nutrition policy that is when dietary changes for everyone started to become pushed onto everyone that the craze of low fat diet become the dietary guidelines and everyone started following this way of eating. another interesting fact is Ancel Keys study was fatally flawed upon multiple levels but he lived to 100 and died 2 months before he would of turned 101 years of age and followed a Mediterranean Diet.

lets help that as the years go on more studies and proof that lchf DIET are good for health and more doctors dietitians and guidelines start moving back to what we use to eat before HCLF diet took over the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I haven't even opened the packet yet, but this is the plan for tonight. 10.5g of carbs in the entire packet and I will be sharing with my son. Regular rice for him, and I'm going to give the cauliflower stuff a go.

I've had these Aldi curry kits before, and they're good.
IMG_20200806_162644.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Three meals today as woke up very hungry.

Breakfast was salami and chorizo followed by whipped creamy cheese.
Lunch at my boss’s house as we needed to work on a load of stuff. Had intended to order Nando’s but they weren’t delivering so had some scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese. Narrowly avoided some Elmlea going into the mix....
Dinner was mince fried with onions, 2 eggs and some grated cheese.

My cancelled New York trip (should have been in a couple of weeks time) has me thinking about all things stateside and my mind wandered onto @zauberflote . Wonder how she’s doing?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty dull food day, mostly using leftovers.
NE1 chicken salad with a leg left iver from the Provençal we had a couple of days ago. Followed by DGF brownie and cream.
NE2 Tuna salad using last courgette from a friends garden julienned and tossed in olive oil s&p No leaves, 2 cherry toms, Hb egg. I have a glass of wine in hand now.
@Annb hug for sore stomach again
@Chook - this black cherry brandy, sounds delicious! Do you just chuck the frozen fruit into a bottle of brandy and shake every now and again for a few weeks?
@annabell1 my thoughts are with you and your family after the Beirut horror. I hope they are all safe. Baked beans are definitely comfort food.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - many happy returns for your birthday. Do you do carb counting to calculate how much insulin to take?

Thanks very much and, no, I don't carb count and dose accordingly. I just try to reduce carbs to a minimum and find I still need to take a fairly large dose of insulin.

Today, BG was better than usual and I've been working hard (for me) shifting furniture and dismantling an old IKEA chest of drawers. Then Neil decided he could fix it so I had to clean it instead of breaking it up. So, I've been on my feet for a long time and my legs and back are in agony. Started to feel really bad and decided to check BG. It had dropped to 4.2. 2 digestive biscuits and cup of tea made me feel better, so it should be up again. I'll check it in a little while.

I had sardines in oil at 2 pm with a couple of Atkins crackerbread slices, rather than Neil's salted fish. I just didn't fancy it, but the sardines seemed to work as well. Not hungry yet but I'll make my salad and have it some time this evening.