In denial, with hba1c of 79

curlynurse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So, Im completely in denial, last hba1c was 50, so rewarded myself, every day, with crunchy nut cornflakes, chocolates, everything I wanted, Gp rang me tuesday, Hba1c had not changed, so he said, found out today, it`s really 79! I know why it is, but Im very scared, and upset, does anyone have any words of advice for me???

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, Im completely in denial, last hba1c was 50, so rewarded myself, every day, with crunchy nut cornflakes, chocolates, everything I wanted, Gp rang me tuesday, Hba1c had not changed, so he said, found out today, it`s really 79! I know why it is, but Im very scared, and upset, does anyone have any words of advice for me???
Instead of trying not to eat the wrong things concentrate on eating the right things. Have bacon and eggs for breakfast, so you are not hungry for cornflakes, get some 85% chocolate, make some huge salads, have plenty of meat, fish and dairy, drink plenty of water. Make low carb a pleasure rather than something to avoid.

Reactions: Flora123

Robin101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In a nutshell the harsh reality is you need to reset. Many of us make false starts on what must always be a permanent change in diet and lifestyle. But it has to be permanent.
Your body has no idea you were celebrating, all it saw was carbs!!
It helps to identify what foods are worse for you. There are small but important differences in your reaction to foods.
For me bread of any sort, pizza, sausages, any milk chocolate are absolutly the bad boys (Lindt chocolate is amazingly bad!)
But I can eat Asda/Aldi cheap dark chocolate with little problem!
Cut out bread, potato, sugar, chocolate and any fast food and you will make a huge difference.

It's doable, but never fun and easy whatever folk say. Good luck though.... At least you are on the forum so shows a desire to do better

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @curlynurse , I'm sorry you're feeling down on your latest results.
Would it be possible for you to switch to different foods for snacking and breakfast? It would make a huge difference on your diabetes.
Are there foods you like a lot which won't make your sugar go up so much? Personally I like good cheeses or bacon and eggs a lot more than crunchy nut cornflakes, perhaps you have foods like that as well?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you got a meter so that you can test and see what foods suit you and your sugar levels? Like many forum members through testing I have learned what I can eat - either as much as I like, in moderation ie bread, potatoes, pasta etc or avoid if possible eg Scampi and tortillas and have maintained my Hba1c at non diabetic levels for approx 7 years on between 100 - 130g carbs per day - too many for a lot of members on here but it works for me.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you've tested in the diabetic range, then they should be asking you back for a second test, to confirm. Like any test, they can get the occasional misread, lab mix-up, contaminated sample etc., so they're supposed to do a second one to confirm. Mine were 75 and 76, I think. Maybe make some dietary changes now (though the test averages out the last 2-3 months blood sugar) but get that second test if you haven't already had it.

If your reading truly is 79, then you have diabetes by definition. The term describes a body that is not regulating its blood sugar properly, and one that is would never reach that level, no matter how much junk food you ate. The initial shock is a doozy (I'm only around a month past my own, and I didn't sleep a wink the night after getting the news) but it very quickly settles down to just being part of your everyday life. And if you can keep your levels down to pre-diabetic and non-diabetic, there's no reason why this would progress to any of the nasty complications that uncontrolled blood sugar can lead to. If you're lucky, you may even reverse the condition to some degree over time.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . . crunchy nut cornflakes, chocolates, everything I wanted

Simple, avoid that lot! The HbA1c of 50 was because of what you were eating up to that point. Unfortunately that doesn't mean that you can add some of your old favourites, and not see an increase. No need to be scared or upset, in your own words, "I know why it is".

So you know exactly what to do up to your next HbA1c, along with finding a GP who can read. LOL

Reactions: curlynurse

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I am sorry that you were given the wrong information. I can really empathise- I would love to reward myself with some of the food I used to eat. I don't because that food is not suitable for my body.

I agree with the advice about getting a meter- it is the best tool to allow you to make decisions on what your body can tolerate.

The next piece of advice is that I would suggest that you read the success stories part of the forum. That will show you that the news isn't all bad.

I'm assuming you are a nurse- so you probably know all the bad news but hopefully the success stories will show that there is some good news too.

My suggestion is to cut out as many carbs as possible. I find my cravings are lower the lower my carb intake is.

good luck. Let us know how we can help.