Low or High

ReggiePerrin

BANNED
Hi or is it Low?
I am new here and was watching a TV program last night on losing a stone in 21 days. Using a low calorie diet. Or was it a low carbohydrate diet. But then some people say a good diet is high carb and low fat. Which is correct as it is very confusing.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be dr Mosley fast 800. So it’s very low calorie (and as a result carbs are also low) and only a short term measure. Some people find it a good kick start to losing weight and getting blood sugar control. To me it sounds awful and a recipe for hunger. At the end of it you need to find a sustainable long term plan which most of us in here use low carb, some lower than others. Many of us just go straight to that method.

High carb will never be good for a diabetic. Look at what a high carb diet has done to our nation, and possibly yourself too, and what you see won’t be doing the vast majority any metabolic favours.

Reactions: JenniferM55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
His original 800 calorie diet was low cal. The one he was doing last night was both low cal and low carb. He finally said low carb about 40 minutes in. There weren't enough details to say exactly but he now seems to be following the short sharp shock theory.
On this programme they are only doing 4 weeks so little chance of doing any major harm. It may end up promoting low carb for the longer term.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi or is it Low?
I am new here and was watching a TV program last night on losing a stone in 21 days. Using a low calorie diet. Or was it a low carbohydrate diet. But then some people say a good diet is high carb and low fat. Which is correct as it is very confusing.
Reggie, alot of people on here follow low carb, or its even lower carb cousin called keto as it seems to work especially well for people with blood sugar and insulin issues

Have you been diagnosed with anything?

ReggiePerrin

BANNED
Reggie, alot of people on here follow low carb, or its even lower carb cousin called keto as it seems to work especially well for people with blood sugar and insulin issues

Have you been diagnosed with anything?
Not yet. I got a 57 the other day. I have to go back for another blood test soon.

Reactions: MrsA2

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hi or is it Low?

I don't think a high carb/low fat diet is healthy for anyone in general. This approach has seen rates of obesity and type 2 diabetes just continue to surge. High carb is a burden on the pancreas which then secretes high amounts of insulin and insulin resistance can then develop. Fatty live also. They seem to go hand in hand. The foods that require the least insulin to process are protein and fat.

Low carb is sustainable, low calorie was never meant to be a sustainable diet for obvious reasons, it's starving the body. Low carb can be anything from 130gs a day or less, some prefer keto and some prefer carnivore. It depends on what works best for the individual regardless. You need to experiment to find what makes life easiest for you. You also need to give each experimental approach time to see what happens. A few days or a week isn't enough to find the answer.

There is a red link below which contains some great advice on food choices and what to avoid.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I think you need to move away from the idea of a 'diet'. The term implies something that is a temporary fix. If you do get a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes iy means that your body cannot process carbs like someone without diabetes. I think a calorie restricted diet can help (maybe) with losing weight and if it also restricts your carbs that will bring your blood sugar levels down but it needs to be sustainable. You probably will never be able to process carbs even if you lose lots of weight. So my suggestion is to start your new way of eating.

You will need a meter- that is the tool that will let you know how much carbs your body can tolerate. This is the information you need to lower your blood sugar levels.

you need to be able to eat this way for the rest of your life if you want to avoid more medication or the complications from diabetes. I love carbs but my body cannot tolerate them the way my husband's body does. I miss them but honestly the fewer I eat the less the cravings are. If I could I would eat a diet composed mostly of carbs- I can't. I ate low calorie for many years without losing weight- and yes I can count calories. I've lost a lot of weight going low carbs and not counting calories. But one of the most significant things is that without carbs I am much less hungry. I can just stop and feel satisfied.

Good luck and welcome.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Dr Mosely blows with the wind with regard to diet. He used to follow High-carb/Low-fat more recently the 800 Calorie diet sometimes with fasting. He's starting to think low carb and give it another year he will have caught up and it will be Low-carb. If only he followed this forum to find out what 1000s find works best. So, Low Carb is the way to go with enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou. Also, I have been prescribed levothyroxin. Doc says it will speed my metabolism up which will help.

Were you prescribed levothyroxine to speed up your metabolism, or for another reason? How long have you been taking it?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The T-SHIRT level I think it was, was high. I have to take them for 6 weeks then have another test.

Best of luck with that. What dose have they started you on? It's rarely quite right, first time around.

if you have thyroid questions, and would like to learn more about your condition, I recommend the following forum. There are lots of experienced folks on there: healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk

ReggiePerrin

BANNED
Best of luck with that. What dose have they started you on? It's rarely quite right, first time around.

if you have thyroid questions, and would like to learn more about your condition, I recommend the following forum. There are lots of experienced folks on there: healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk
I meant to type TSH level. 75 micro grams. They say they will check my bloods again in 6 weeks and review. I must say I feel less tired now.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I meant to type TSH level. 75 micro grams. They say they will check my bloods again in 6 weeks and review. I must say I feel less tired now.

Jolly good. How long have you been on it?