What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
so i am so shocked with what has happened in Lebanon Beruit. I have family there and I do know one of my relatives have lost their apartment but luckily they were away on the day so were not home. and my family on my mother side have heard that no one has been hurt but not sure about my fathers side but must of my family are in the villages so pray that they are all okay. the country has been through so much it is very sad. can 2020 please start showing some healing to the world now I think it is time for the world to heal please Lord.

my meals last few days Wednesday breakfast/brunch wasn't feeling like I could eat so made an almond milk and a frozen banana chocolate shake
dinner for some reason had a craving for baked beans I haven't eaten them for years so went up the road and brought a few tins and had baked beans on cheese sourdough toast I just needed comfort food I think after hearing what happened in Lebanon.
Thursday breakfast slice of sour dough bread and scrambled eggs black coffee
dinner made butter chicken with basmati rice

not low carb meals of late and have noticed my psoriasis is flaring up again so I am thinking that I am overdoing the bread surprisingly my BSL have been okay and I've even lowered my diamacron to 30 mr

tonight watched the 2020 fat fiction movie on your tube it was interesting but a lot of fact checking needs to be made on some of the facts such as the low fat diet as it is my understanding is that the low fat diet actually in 1961 when fist introduced to USA was for people who had health issues such as heart health overweight and diabetes etc., it was not initially pushed as the diet for everyone and to seek medical advise when changing their diet. but somewhere along the way this was then changed when the American dietary guidance, initially intended for a clinical population, became part of public health nutrition policy that is when dietary changes for everyone started to become pushed onto everyone that the craze of low fat diet become the dietary guidelines and everyone started following this way of eating. another interesting fact is Ancel Keys study was fatally flawed upon multiple levels but he lived to 100 and died 2 months before he would of turned 101 years of age and followed a Mediterranean Diet.

lets help that as the years go on more studies and proof that lchf DIET are good for health and more doctors dietitians and guidelines start moving back to what we use to eat before HCLF diet took over the world.

So sorry to hear about the explosion in Beirut and that you have family nearby. Hope and pray they are safe. The pictures on the news were awful. Poor souls there.

Reactions: JenniferM55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much and, no, I don't carb count and dose accordingly. I just try to reduce carbs to a minimum and find I still need to take a fairly large dose of insulin.

Today, BG was better than usual and I've been working hard (for me) shifting furniture and dismantling an old IKEA chest of drawers. Then Neil decided he could fix it so I had to clean it instead of breaking it up. So, I've been on my feet for a long time and my legs and back are in agony. Started to feel really bad and decided to check BG. It had dropped to 4.2. 2 digestive biscuits and cup of tea made me feel better, so it should be up again. I'll check it in a little while.

I had sardines in oil at 2 pm with a couple of Atkins crackerbread slices, rather than Neil's salted fish. I just didn't fancy it, but the sardines seemed to work as well. Not hungry yet but I'll make my salad and have it some time this evening.

Ann, have you considered trying carb counting? That way you might have a better idea of what amounts you need for any given meal, to keep thing in a bit of a zone?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Elevenses: black coffee with strawberry carb killa bar.
Lunch: left over duck followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: cheese, mushroom and tomato omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Three meals today as woke up very hungry.

Breakfast was salami and chorizo followed by whipped creamy cheese.
Lunch at my boss’s house as we needed to work on a load of stuff. Had intended to order Nando’s but they weren’t delivering so had some scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese. Narrowly avoided some Elmlea going into the mix....
Dinner was mince fried with onions, 2 eggs and some grated cheese.

My cancelled New York trip (should have been in a couple of weeks time) has me thinking about all things stateside and my mind wandered onto @zauberflote . Wonder how she’s doing?

Such a shame about your cancelled NY trip. I miss @zauberflote too

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stayed away today from the news, it's so upsetting what's happening in Beirut! So sorry for all those involved and their loved ones.

Happy birthday to the two Birthday Girls :)

Morning was more or less the same as we've had all week, bacon and egg, plus one (Heck 97% pork) sausage. The butcher's sausage I had yesterday caused a bit of a glucose event, I'm pretty sure there must have been sugar in the sausage as the fat from the sausage looked like it had some burnt caramel in there.

Lunch was a sad 30g piece of Stilton that needed to be eaten!

Dinner: chicken breast, scored and sprinkled with lemon juice, with a mixture of cream cheese and Korma curry paste spread on top. The chicken was left for a couple of hours covered with tin foil before being baked in the oven. Managed to find the remains of a white cabbage, and peppers, they were sliced and mixed with a tiny amount of onion, a spoonful of mayo and Heinz salad dressing to make a make-do coleslaw.

Total day's carbs 16.2g.

Thank goodness, Tesco delivers tomorrow!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Goonergal, post: 2293259, member: 368709”]

My cancelled New York trip (should have been in a couple of weeks time) has me thinking about all things stateside and my mind wandered onto @zauberflote . Wonder how she’s doing?[/QUOTE]

It would be lovely to hear from her and know how she is getting on.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all

Just waiting to hear if the co-worker that Mr C often shares work space with has got Covid. His wife tested positive (got the result late yesterday afternoon) and her husband now has to isolate for two weeks but not before he and Mr C were in the same office for eight hours on both Monday and Tuesday - ironically the meetings were about planning their strategy should any staff be tested positive. :nailbiting:

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers
Lunch: Laughing Cow on ryvita
Dinner: aubergine, tomato and mozzarella bake and green salad
I do hope everything is OK. I've not caught up on the posts yet so hopefully there is good news.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - greek yoghurt with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top and all the berries with double cream drizzled over the top. Cup of earl grey and double cream.

Dinner - leftover from yesterday - low carb pizza, mushrooms, onions, plum tomtato, added a fried egg and grated cheese over it all - thrown together a bit but tasty! 1 small 100% dark chocolate egg filled with peanut butter and the last of the very thick double cream.

As it was a nice night we went for a long walk to and around loch and there was swimmers there which was entertaining while we spectated and topped up our vitamin D ...

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys
Rang montezumas to find out where my order was but they couldn’t understand why it hasn’t arrived so have given me refund - quite sad I was looking forward to my bargain mini eggs! As they said that both two orders ie original and replacement orders have left montezumas to post office but never showed up in tracking system or get to me - where did they go?? But at least it will get resolved.
Good day too got my early morning swim wonderful although we now have to wear a mask in the corridor and changing room but luckily not in the pool!! Also took mum shopping and managed some great bargains and she’s thrilled with her new outfits.
Breakfast one slice of bacon, egg and a few mushrooms cooked in butter
Lunch some of my birthday cheese and celery and a few squares of 100% choc
Dinner beef, cauliflower cheese and roast celeriac with glass of red wine followed by sf jelly and cream.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Boring day, food wise.
Too hot to want to eat until I really got hungry so I had some ready made tapas shrimps at 4pm.
Late evening meal of yesterdays leftovers from the microwave at 10. Still too warm to really enjoy it.

However, I've delighted in picking a present for my friend. She has gastroparesis and was supposed to get a nasal J-tube yesterday. They tried twice and didn't manage to get it in the right place. Pretty horrible procedure too.
They'll try again tomorrow with live x-rays to see what goes wrong, if I understand correctly.

Anyway, she needs a hug badly so I've spent an hour or so picking the best fudge flavours to go in a gift box for her! She can eat anything bar lots of fiber, but only in very small amounts. She loves things like ice cream and cake, so to my thinking a calorie-dense comfort food like fudge to nibble on should be perfect!

Not for me (unless in the unlikely situation I'm having a hypo while being in the vicinity of fudge), but it goes to show how different conditions bring their own hardships and bright spots. Anyway, picking the best sounding flavours gave me at least as much pleasure as the eating would've done, and without the blood sugars to go with it :hilarious:.
Still, I'm glad they will be delivered directly to her place and not to me first :D

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
b: Greek yog, cream, seeds and 2 strawberries
Late lunch/snack: 8 brazils
D: hubby was following an online cook along so, later than usual. Roasted aubergine with avocado salsa on chilli grains. The boys had my grains and I had the spare aubergine half. Sometimes cooking for 3 works out well. Was very tasty but did have to top up with some cheese

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys
Rang montezumas to find out where my order was but they couldn’t understand why it hasn’t arrived so have given me refund - quite sad I was looking forward to my bargain mini eggs! As they said that both two orders ie original and replacement orders have left montezumas to post office but never showed up in tracking system or get to me - where did they go?? But at least it will get resolved.
m.
The day before my order was delivered we had another delivery from somewhere else and I asked the delivery guy if he also had my chocolate. "Chocolate" he said, looking very interested and rather too keen "no". I was then suspicious it would go missing as I have suspected him of taking shoes in the past, twice. Luckily Montezumas doesn't use Hermes and my chocolate arrived safely. I hope you don't have a chocoholic in your sorting office @shelley262 . These delivery guys are paid so poorly that things must be very tempting for them. I
I hope your reappears magically soon

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ann, have you considered trying carb counting? That way you might have a better idea of what amounts you need for any given meal, to keep thing in a bit of a zone?

I didn't mean that I don't count carbs. I do. That's to make sure that I stay well below the 20 I try to allow myself as a maximum each day. It doesn't always work, of course. It's at its worst when I get so fed up with trying to get BG down and failing and then I think I'm on the wrong track and the diabetes nurse could be right when she says I should be eating more carbs. Then I eat something that puts my carbs up, despite insulin - like a digestive biscuit or a slice of bread and even, a few weeks ago, a breakfast roll (crazy- I didn't even enjoy it!). That brings me to my senses because my BG goes right up to the top of the meter.

The issue seems to be that whatever I eat, be it zero or very low carbs, I still need a lot of insulin to keep BG around the 10 mark. But I can't tell for sure, because on the odd day, like today, BG is lower than usual and then drops too far, so then I have to have some carbohydrate, without insulin, to bring it up to a reasonable level. Then, of course, it bounces back up and goes too high. Which is what has happened this evening. Breakfast today contained 3.6 g carbs and lunch contained the same. I didn't need an evening meal. So total to that point was 7.2 g carbs. Then BG dropped too far and I had 2 digestive biscuits, without insulin. One doesn't seem to do the trick and 2 seems to be too many. BG right now is 14.1. Other days, I'll eat approximately the same amount of carbs and BG won't drop below 10 or 11.

I did have a c-peptide test, which indicated that I am making insulin, so it's not that. And it's not that I don't respond to insulin at all, just that it takes a lot of it to have any effect and I am unwilling to take more and more ad infinitum. So, I guess, I am the problem.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't mean that I don't count carbs. I do. That's to make sure that I stay well below the 20 I try to allow myself as a maximum each day. It doesn't always work, of course. It's at its worst when I get so fed up with trying to get BG down and failing and then I think I'm on the wrong track and the diabetes nurse could be right when she says I should be eating more carbs. Then I eat something that puts my carbs up, despite insulin - like a digestive biscuit or a slice of bread and even, a few weeks ago, a breakfast roll (crazy- I didn't even enjoy it!). That brings me to my senses because my BG goes right up to the top of the meter.

The issue seems to be that whatever I eat, be it zero or very low carbs, I still need a lot of insulin to keep BG around the 10 mark. But I can't tell for sure, because on the odd day, like today, BG is lower than usual and then drops too far, so then I have to have some carbohydrate, without insulin, to bring it up to a reasonable level. Then, of course, it bounces back up and goes too high. Which is what has happened this evening. Breakfast today contained 3.6 g carbs and lunch contained the same. I didn't need an evening meal. So total to that point was 7.2 g carbs. Then BG dropped too far and I had 2 digestive biscuits, without insulin. One doesn't seem to do the trick and 2 seems to be too many. BG right now is 14.1. Other days, I'll eat approximately the same amount of carbs and BG won't drop below 10 or 11.

I did have a c-peptide test, which indicated that I am making insulin, so it's not that. And it's not that I don't respond to insulin at all, just that it takes a lot of it to have any effect and I am unwilling to take more and more ad infinitum. So, I guess, I am the problem.

In my lay opinion, I don't think how many units is all that important, it's the blood glucose score that matters. If you need 50 units to remain healthy, taking 5 might be "nicer", but totally ineffective in achieving the objective.

That at some point in the past you still produced natural insulin is just that - in the past. It could be informative to understand how that may or may not have changed over time, but I don't think Docs like to rerun these tests too often.

As I understand from reading lots of posts by insulin users, hypos are a way of life; whether often or less often, but tunning at the higher numbers for longer periods can cause big problems.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Annb .

I agree with @DCUKMod - when it comes to insulin basically you need what you need. Carb counting when it comes to calculating insulin is absolutely vital. Either you take a fixed dose and eat enough carbs for that dose OR you decide what you are going to eat, calculate the carbs and your insulin requirements for that quantity of carbs. Its a nuisance and a bit time consuming at first but it does work. Because we are all different in our insulin requirements you need to experiment with how much insulin you need - in addition I used to need different ratios of insulin to carbs depending on the time of day and you might be the same.

As for the long acting/background, if I remember correctly i started at 10 units then carried on increasing it by 2 or 3 units a day until my average BGs were at a good level. Don't worry about the amount, you really do need whatever you need. It's a long time ago but if I remember correctly it took some time to work out the best dose for me - at least two weeks - and when it finally stabilised at a good place it seemed to me to be a huge dose but my diabetes nurse was happy with it.

@DCUKMod is right about hypos BUT if they happen a lot then you need to step back and look at the amount of carbs you are eating and check that your insulin to carbs ratio is correct for that time of day for you.

Last thing.... if you need to treat a hypo you need to use something that hasn't got fat in it because fat slows down the rate the glucose is absorbed. So for instance rather than say pizza, biscuits or buttered toast use jelly babies or Lucozade and follow up with a proper meal as soon as you can.

I hope you don't think I'm being intrusive in your diabetes management, I don't mean it that way - just that sometimes we all need a helping hand and your DN doesn't seem to be particularly helpful. xx

Edited to correct autocorrect 's weird corrections.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good morning all - its uncomfortably hot already here in Yorkshire.

Breakfast: Longley cottage cheese with flaked almonds and raspberries
Lunch: some cheese to nibble
Dinner: what we call 'Mum's Salad' - lettuce, radishes, tomato, spring onions, cucumber, beetroot with egg mayo, grated cheese and sliced beef for Mr C and quorn savoury eggs for me. Plus a couple of naughty new potatoes slathered in melted butter. All to be eaten in the garden with a glass or two of Prosecco and / or red wine.
Pudding will be raspberries.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I do hope everything is OK. I've not caught up on the posts yet so hopefully there is good news.

ATM we are just waiting for his second test. Mr C phoned him yesterday and neither he or his wife have any symptoms. I watched that programme about Covid by the Van Tulleken twins last night - I thought knowing a bit more about it would help but it definitely hasn't! It was worth watching though.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The issue seems to be that whatever I eat, be it zero or very low carbs, I still need a lot of insulin to keep BG around the 10 mark.
What do you feel is a lot of insulin? I need 82 units of my basal everyday, regardless of if I'm having a very low carb day or a highish carb day. On top of that comes the mealtime insulin of course.
I'm not worried by the amount of insulin I take, although it's quite a high dose, because it keeps my bg more or less in range.

then drops too far, so then I have to have some carbohydrate, without insulin, to bring it up to a reasonable level. Then, of course, it bounces back up and goes too high.
If you go high from what you ate to treat a low, you've eaten more than you needed to treat the low. If this happens to me I try treating the next low with less carbs. Of course it doesn't always work out as planned.

I agree with @Chook on the choice of hypo treatment. Digestive biscuits will act quite slow to raise your bg so it's easy to eat too much of them because at first your bg doesn't go up.
According to google a digestive buiscuit typically has 9.3 grams of carbs. So now you know that eating 18.6 grams of carbs is too many to get you out of your hypo. What about trying with sweets or such next time, and count them for the amount of carbs you want to try?

Good luck!

Reactions: maglil55

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2 rashers of bacon for breakfast. Mushroom omelette for lunch. Except by the time I'd extracted it from being stuck to the bottom of the pan, it was more like scrambled eggs with mushrooms.

I think I'm going to give up testing after (practically) zero carb food. It just seems like a waste of strips. Save them for mornings and before and after a carbier evening meal.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your thoughts @DCUKMod, @Chook and @Antje77. Your thoughts are very helpful. Perhaps I should just totally ignore my diabetes nurse. She is the one who is alarmed by the high levels of insulin I am taking, and the one who recommends digestive biscuits and definitely NOT sweets or (horror of horrors, Lucozade). So - a rethink is in order.

Actually just realised that I am a bit short on the short acting insulin - I've used so much of it these last couple of weeks, so have sent in a rushed order for a repeat prescription. I should have enough to last for about 31/2 days - with any luck the prescription should arrive in 2.

FBG today 10.1. 11.4 by breakfast at 11 am (just after my cleaning lady phoned to say she couldn't come today after all, so I put everything back onto the floor and decided to eat - 2 rashers streaky bacon, 2 fried eggs and 2 Atkins crispbread (1.9 g carb each), after 44 units Humilin S.

3 pm - BG still 11.4 (must have got that right this time!) Had 2 more slices of the crispbread sandwiched with 2 more rashers of streaky bacon after another 44 units of Humilin S.

Later I will have some salad and one of the pickled eggs I made the other day - never tried pickled egg before, so it will be interesting. Will try another 44 units of Humilin S and see what happens.

Edited to add the bit about Lucozade.