Blood sugar metre

Shan-Marie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long did it take go get used to pricking your finger? I'm really new to this every time I set it up I feel sick and have bad anxiety. I eventually do it but it takes ages because I physically can't push the button. I know its not that bad but my finger stings for ages after

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you pricking the pad of your finger? That is where all your nerve endings are. Prick the side of the finger below the nail. Mine only hurts if I let the lancet go blunt.

Reactions: Shan-Marie

Shan-Marie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you pricking the pad of your finger? That is where all your nerve endings are. Prick the side of the finger below the nail. Mine only hurts if I let the lancet go blunt.
I will definitely try and do it on the side of my finger thanks so much for the advice.

Reactions: JMoli

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Check how deep the needle setting is and make it as shallow as possible to produce the minimum blood needed to test with.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it took me a good few days to get used to it. Its more of a knack. Sides are definitely better than centres or tops. Try washing hands in hot water before, the hot softens skin and makes blood flow easier.
I have one finger that just never releases enough blood.
And you don't have to change the lancet needle everytime, just don't share it with anyone. I'm just change it every month or so

It is so worth getting used to though, vital for blood sugar management and your ongoing health

Reactions: Gannet

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You may also find that you will need to vary the depth setting for different fingers, my middle fingers have fairly hard skin, but I have to use a lighter setting for the others.
It’s a big ouch if I forget!

ROE100

Hi Shan-Marie

I have always struggled with the finger pricker machine and also found when they used to also do a finger prick before the consultation I hurt like hell (Glad they have stoped this pointless test/check).

My suggestion is a bit off the wall but I have been doing it for plus 20 years (T1) is just using the lancet on its own. I use a very thin lancet Ultra-thin AgaMatrix 33 Guage however my fingers have no thickness to the skin so I just tap the side of the finger and normal enough blood appears. Note I normal test about 6 to 8 times a day. However this is a bit more mind over matter however with the finger pricker I quite often used to move my finger away before it made contact with my finger.

If you can't get your head round this option try a different finger pricker/lancet guage you don't need to use the same finger pricker manufacture as your meter.

Hope you find a solution.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mum was Type 2, and occasionally used to insist on testing me. I wasn't diabetic at the time, so they were always good results. But I was kind of used to Mr Stabby from that, and already aware that you're better pricking the side of a finger or thumb, rather than the pad. Even so, I cringed the first time I did it since starting a couple of weeks ago. But that went away after the first couple of tests.

I'm finding it highly variable. I have to have my lancet set for maximum depth to get a result. Sometimes I barely feel it, but get a good sample. Sometimes I feel a sharp prick (but nothing that makes me jump out of my skin) and even after over a minute of massaging, still can't get a droplet big enough to sample. It's kind of Russian Roulette as to whether you hit a nerve or hit a capillary, neither or both.

No soreness after the original scratch, but I've noticed that handling certain (e.g. salty) foods and substances afterwards can irritate the sample site, much as they would for a finger cut.

I'd liken it to getting a tattoo, except that you only get scratched once, rather than hundreds or thousands of times.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Luckily they have moved on a bit with the finger prickers..... my first one take a look at the name :hilarious::hilarious:

Taniae

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Shan-Marie
I am new to finger pricking as well , I wasn’t anxious about the actual needle but anxious about the result. I do meditation and my teacher gave me a strategy to try. She said just keep saying to yourself “I need to do this for my health and well-being “ and it’s worked. Keep saying it to yourself it may take your mind off the actual pushing of the button.
I only have my setting on the 2.5 needle depth marker and my fingers are never sore. Give it a go, good luck

Reactions: Nicole T and amcfad

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckily they have moved on a bit with the finger prickers..... my first one take a look at the name :hilarious::hilarious:

Mine too :p

But to @Shan-Marie, sides of your fingertips is best and most 'lancing devices' have a setting wheel where you can set the lancet to a shallower setting, I'd recommend looking at that and 'dialling' it down just enough to draw blood and it shouldn't hurt (as much) and too deep the finger can keep on bleeding for a while.

I still suck my finger as far as it goes :p

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ouch :nailbiting:
It sometimes takes me 3-4 times to get enough blood to test and I have been known to give up! Defeatist I know but, luckily being T2 diet controlled, it isn’t essential.

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found some lancing devices a lot better than others, the Accuchek fastclix is the best I’ve tried by a long way.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long did it take go get used to pricking your finger? I'm really new to this every time I set it up I feel sick and have bad anxiety. I eventually do it but it takes ages because I physically can't push the button. I know its not that bad but my finger stings for ages after

I find my little fingers hurts the least and bleed the best

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
I've just started too, it's not something to relish. I had anxiety using an injector for migraine years ago. I recall thinking that I'd do it on the count of 10... and then repeatedly counting to 10! I read advice on this website last night and there were tips on where to prick, i.e. don't use thumb or index and prick the sides not the middle.
I accidentally held upside down earlier and pricked a digit I wasn't expecting to!
Do you have anyone to give you support or do it for you while you are getting used to all of this.
Good luck and take care