CHANGE NEEDED.....KETO TO PALEO????

tom2pin

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,

Ok so the past year I've been doing keto/low carb with good results controlling RH. BUT....I have such low energy and fatigue which never subsided. I also have MCAS so allergies are a huge problem and my concern is Keto/Low carb has altered my microbiome negatively (even though I eat tonnes of veg but no fruit).

So, i've spoken with my endocrinologist and he seems to think that trying a more Paleo style diet might be more beneficial. That way I can see if more carbs will help my situation.

Obviously I'll have to test glucose to see if any of the new carby foods spike me and keep a diary....but I need to try something different. Just wondering if anyone else with RH has had success with a Paleo diet?

Thanks as always

Tom

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,

Ok so the past year I've been doing keto/low carb with good results controlling RH. BUT....I have such low energy and fatigue which never subsided. I also have MCAS so allergies are a huge problem and my concern is Keto/Low carb has altered my microbiome negatively (even though I eat tonnes of veg but no fruit).

So, i've spoken with my endocrinologist and he seems to think that trying a more Paleo style diet might be more beneficial. That way I can see if more carbs will help my situation.

Obviously I'll have to test glucose to see if any of the new carby foods spike me and keep a diary....but I need to try something different. Just wondering if anyone else with RH has had success with a Paleo diet?

Thanks as always

Tom

If you have very low energy and fatigue, has your thyroid been thoroughly tested?

Are you losing weight on your keto diet, or staying static/gaining? If you are losing, it could be you're not quite eating enough.

tom2pin

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey thanks for your reply,

My Thyroid has been tested by my GP but they tell me it seems normal. I've lost a load of weight. I want to put weight on! I eat 3 keto/low carb meals a day and snack on nuts. (Not reached the point of fasting yet).

I definitely think I need to eat more carbs (hence the post) but am anxious to introduce higher carb fruit and veg (ie. Sweet Potato, Carrots, Beetroot, Apples, Berries etc).

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey thanks for your reply,

My Thyroid has been tested by my GP but they tell me it seems normal. I've lost a load of weight. I want to put weight on! I eat 3 keto/low carb meals a day and snack on nuts. (Not reached the point of fasting yet).

I definitely think I need to eat more carbs (hence the post) but am anxious to introduce higher carb fruit and veg (ie. Sweet Potato, Carrots, Beetroot, Apples, Berries etc).

I think the obvious answer is it is your choice, trial and error, test and record.
But if like me, I would try carnivore first unless you are vegan.
Or only eat fresh food! Obviously as low carb as possible and keeping control of your blood sugar levels. I do eat a slice of beetroot with my fresh salad. I do have a small apple every day, as well as small portions of berries. There are certain foods that will not cause a trigger.
It's up to you. Stay away from spuds!

Reactions: tom2pin

tom2pin

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the obvious answer is it is your choice, trial and error, test and record.
But if like me, I would try carnivore first unless you are vegan.
Or only eat fresh food! Obviously as low carb as possible and keeping control of your blood sugar levels. I do eat a slice of beetroot with my fresh salad. I do have a small apple every day, as well as small portions of berries. There are certain foods that will not cause a trigger.
It's up to you. Stay away from spuds!

Thanks for your reply as always mate. Can I ask why you'd choose Carnivore over Paleo?? One of my main concerns is to balance my gut bacteria. From what I understand, Veg and Fruit is important because of the fibre and resistant starch?

tom2pin

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure you are eating enough? What are you eating to compensate for the dropped carbs?

Yes I'm eating plenty, my Cholesterol is borderline high and I'm eating plenty of animal fats, Ghee, Nuts & Seeds, Olive & Avacado Oils.

I've been under a huge amount of stress both physically and mentally so that has most probably increased weight loss.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi mate,
Thanks for your reply as always mate. Can I ask why you'd choose Carnivore over Paleo?? One of my main concerns is to balance my gut bacteria. From what I understand, Veg and Fruit is important because of the fibre and resistant starch?

I think sometimes, just eating meat, can be beneficial, you don't have to eat a lot of it, to feel full. If you're like me, meat has become my go to food. It seems to suit me, but I also have salad a lot, as I can't eat a lot of vegetables for many reasons. What you are eating is fine and clearly you are trying to improve your dietary intake, to get the balance right.
Protein and saturated fat are the most important and I choose fresh meat and have the fat as well. I tend to eat a small apple every day and berries with full fat yoghurt. Gut bacteria will usually look after itself, unless there is a reason for extra fibre!
Currently my cholesterol is higher than I would like, but I have been through some traumatic stress in the last month and I gained weight, so I have had to tackle my diet back into ketosis. I would try and not stress too much about your food to much, if it has worked before, go back and give it another go. My anxiety is questioning everything I do, I would imagine it is doing the same to you.
Be kind to yourself, just eat as best as you think you need to, try and keep your blood levels in normal range, hopefully it will help you come to get your balance right.

Keep safe

Reactions: tom2pin