What happened??

Shaj07

Hello I was diagnosed with RH about 7 years ago. So lately I have been feeling like **** after eating for the past several weeks no matter what I eat. Fasting glucose has been 99-110. Before I was usually in the 70-85 range. So of course I went to my doctor and he recommended a OGTT so I completed it today.

this test had me looking like a complete FOOL

fasting: 86
1hour: 84
2 hour: 77

I have not seen these reading in MONTHS and I’m shocked!! I also did not really have any symptoms after taking the sugary drink that I normally have with EVERY meal I eat ( whether good or “bad”). I’m kinda ****** because I feel like my problem was completely missed. What happened here??

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So lately I have been feeling like **** after eating for the past several weeks no matter what I eat.
Have you only tested your fasting sugars? Why not test when you feel like ****?

Shaj07

Also like to make note that when they took the 1hour they did both from the blood from my arm and a finger stick. Arm reading was 84 and finger stick was 100. This was literally seconds apart!!!

Shaj07

Have you only tested your fasting sugars? Why not test when you feel like ****?
No I’ve tested after eating. Either 1 hour or 2 hour which is normally when I feel horrible

One time was 180 ( 1 hr after meal and felt horrible )
Another time was 117 (2 hr after meal and felt horrible )

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Have you looked at possible food allergies/intolerances?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Arm reading was 84 and finger stick was 100. This was literally seconds apart!!!
I think this is within the normal variation in meter readings.
No I’ve tested after eating. Either 1 hour or 2 hour which is normally when I feel horrible

If you felt horrible at both 180 and 117, it doesn't look like the feeling horrible is related to your blood sugar level. Have you looked into possible other causes you feel horrible after eating?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi again,
Why was it only a two hour OGTT?
If you have been diagnosed with RH, then a two hour test is not the full story. It usually what happens after that, that a diagnosis can be found.

Those readings are typical rh, I take it your fasting was in normal levels?
The reason you feel awful is because of the rapid blood sugar boost from the meal. This is what is known as a hyper or a spike.
Because, if you do have RH, like me, your initial insulin response is poor and can't cope with the quick change, so your insulin overshoot happens and then drives your blood sugar down again. But this takes longer than the two hours.

Can you give us an idea what you are eating or drinking to get them results, there may be something that you don't know you could be intolerant to.

I would ignore the OGTT results, they don't look like anything I have come across.

Keep safe

Shaj07

Sorry all I didn’t realize that i I didn’t put in the original post that this OGTT was for PREDIABETES- so it was 2 hrs. but yes I do have RH currently(7years).
No I haven’t even thought about other possibilities. Even tho I’ve been going thru this for 7 years I haven’t been given a lot of information about the condition itself. Of course I’ve tried to look some things up but still it’s kinda hard. Maybe I’m intolerant or even sensitive to carbs?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Shaj07,
When I was first diagnosed, I did a lot of research into why my body reacts the way it does to carbs and sugar. I found out that my body is different to the majority of the population, instead of having a balanced response of hormones to food, my pancreas creates too much insulin, this is bad for your health!
Most doctors are not trained to know how it works, so the dietary advice is often to prevent hypos after eating, than stopping the reaction first.
If you have not read the sticky threads on our sub forum, I would also ask you to read them and Wikipedia on RH, it doesn't cover everything but it gives you the science.
RH can lead to prediabetes and T2, but your fasting levels would have to be higher than you have quoted.
I was misdiagnosed with prediabetes and T2, because I was getting huge spikes because of continuous eating of carbs, which kept me in higher blood levels all the time. It was only when instead of high glucose levels, I was tested whilst having a hypo in front of my doctor, did I get a referral.

If I can ask, what are you eating to get the different readings?

Keep safe