What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your thoughts @DCUKMod, @Chook and @Antje77. Your thoughts are very helpful. Perhaps I should just totally ignore my diabetes nurse. She is the one who is alarmed by the high levels of insulin I am taking, and the one who recommends digestive biscuits and definitely NOT sweets or (horror of horrors, Lucozade). So - a rethink is in order.

Actually just realised that I am a bit short on the short acting insulin - I've used so much of it these last couple of weeks, so have sent in a rushed order for a repeat prescription. I should have enough to last for about 31/2 days - with any luck the prescription should arrive in 2.

FBG today 10.1. 11.4 by breakfast at 11 am (just after my cleaning lady phoned to say she couldn't come today after all, so I put everything back onto the floor and decided to eat - 2 rashers streaky bacon, 2 fried eggs and 2 Atkins crispbread (1.9 g carb each), after 44 units Humilin S.

3 pm - BG still 11.4 (must have got that right this time!) Had 2 more slices of the crispbread sandwiched with 2 more rashers of streaky bacon after another 44 units of Humilin S.

Later I will have some salad and one of the pickled eggs I made the other day - never tried pickled egg before, so it will be interesting. Will try another 44 units of Humilin S and see what happens.

Edited to add the bit about Lucozade.

Ann, just to say today is Friday. Will the 2 days still work out for you, over the weekend?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ann, just to say today is Friday. Will the 2 days still work out for you, over the weekend?

That's a very good point. I forgot today was Friday. Still - should be OK, I have enough left for just over 3 days at current rates. If the prescription isn't in the pharmacy on Monday, I will just ask them to let me have some in advance - they're very good that way. Just as well this isn't the Bank Holiday weekend or they would be shut on Monday.

Reactions: Chook and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Later I will have some salad and one of the pickled eggs I made the other day - never tried pickled egg before, so it will be interesting.
Let us know how it was, and if it was good, tell us how you made it! Those pickled eggs still have my curiosity going :)

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Brum bound and pretty certain I have the best picnic on the train.

Brunch was 20% mince fried with 2 eggs, onions and grated cheese.
Dinner was my picnic of cold carnivore pizza. Not sure I needed the cool bag as the a/c is fierce!

35E23D9D-6F81-4CB6-9BDF-7769292AB1B5.jpeg

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 1 boiled egg mashed up in a cup with butter. 4 streaky bacon roll ups with cheese. cup of earl grey and double cream.

Dinner - 5 carb prawn cocktail, followed by tandoori chicken and cauliflower cheese.

One small 100% dark chocolate egg filled with peanut butter washed down with double cream.

We went a walk to the loch again as it was lovely and sunny when we started out ... but then it started raining in the middle of nowhere and we ended up getting soaked! - oh I do miss my holiday abroad this year.:(

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely day with mum mooching around locally we thought we were in Spain with the current heat but, as mum said, at least we don’t have to board the plane to go back tomorrow! Special day - impt to make the most of it when your mum is lucky enough to be heading towards 90..... she’s convinced she wouldn’t be as well if she hadn’t reduced her carbs and consequently reduced her hbaca1 from 55 to 34 a few years ago because she saw my results. Her kidney damage too seems to have not worsened and previously it was deteriorating and of concern.
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg
Lunch cheese from my birthday hamper, a few lc crackers and celery.
Dinner lamb chop, stuffed mushroom and celeriac chips with bottle of prossecco mum had bought as part of my birthday pressie pudding a few spoons of Oppo ice cream and double cream.
Motorway bound again tomorrow to York’s to get mum back, unpacked and jobs done hoping to be back by Sunday evening. Unfortunately the M42 where we normally go is closed for whole weekend so journey may be longer!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Elevenses: black coffee with white chocolate phd bar
Lunch: M&S crispy bacon strips followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: chilli con carne with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and blackberries freshly picked from Mum’s garden :hungry:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch: one large piece of 90 sec mug bread topped with guacamole and a fried egg in butter. Was oh soooo good!
Snack 5 brazils
D: cheese and bacon burger at our local. Very good quality. Gave bun to son. 2 glasses white wine with water. 50g ice cream

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday Bed 7.2 FBG 6.9. @shelley262- belated happy birthday. You seem to have had a good birthday and a wonderful anniversary break. Happy birthday to you too @Annb. I had the boys all day Wednesday until 7pm. DIL has finally been permitted to restart work so she had to reopen her studio and get it disinfected before patients could come in later. It's cost her a fortune in PPE. Still, she had 12 appointments in 3 days.
B. TAG and a slice of LC toast with mortadella and coleslaw.
L. Nothing. Annual outing to Clark's for boys foot measuring and purchase of school shoes, trainers and black gym shoes. No 1 was a bit reluctant but the outing convinced him that people are behaving reasonably normally and he's been a lot better since then.
D. Taco Wednesday! I made a pot of chilli yesterday in the IP. I had it with DD tacos, guacamole and sour cream plus shredded lettuce and tomatoes.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Let us know how it was, and if it was good, tell us how you made it! Those pickled eggs still have my curiosity going :)

First bite was a bit disconcerting. Quite vinegary and odd textured white part. The yolk was also a bit firmer than a normal hard-boiled egg. Second bite was a bit better. By the time I'd finished the egg, I thought I could quite enjoy pickled egg once in a while. Obviously an acquired taste - very quickly acquired.

All I did was hard boil and then peel the eggs. Mix half white vinegar and half water with a half tsp salt. Boil it up. Put eggs in a sterilised jar and pour the vinegar mixture over them. Put lid on top and, when cool, put them in the fridge for 2 or 3 days before using.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb I can’t offer anything to your insulin puzzle but you have my greatest sympathy. I hope the pickled eggs have turned out well - just don’t eat them in a sandwich with chocolate spread!
@Nicole T my omelettes often turn out like that! Still taste good though.
@Goonergal Bon voyage and yes I agree your picnic looks great.
@shelley262 your mum is a legend It sounds like you’ve have a wonderful time with her. Good luck for the motorway trip tomorrow.
@MrsA2 I love the sound of your brunch. Definitely in my menu for this week.
Today I had black coffee all morning.
Lunch at my daughter’s unexpectedly - she made me a lovely salad with leaves, mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, olives, Parma ham and avocado. Lots of olive oil drizzled over.
Dinner was sea bass with garlic and herb butter, mushrooms, kale and broccoli. White wine.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.3 FBG 6.5. Only had the boys for a couple of hours today ( Thursday). School polo shirts arrived so time for annual labelling now. @annabell1 - awful what happened. Is your family OK?
B. TAG and 2 GF crackers with smoked mackerel pate.
L. Nothing
D. Rib eye, lettuce, tomato, avocado. 2 squares Godiva.

@Goonergal - sorry you've lost the New York trip.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Usual Friday shopping trip to buy the stuff Asda has inappropriately subbed or didn't have in stock. (Dog food? Really???).

For the Godiva 90% fans - in store Asda have it on 2 for £3 special offer - in my area they don't have it on the website at all

B&M have got Christmas present stock on display..... Noooooooo!!!

Breakfast: Longley cottage cheese with flaked almonds and carb free syrup
Lunch: Forgot
Dinner: Lo-dough topped with garlic butter and mozzarella then baked then topped with Oumph! kebab, salad and garlic mayo. Dessert will be raspberries from the garden
Not enough fluids today - must drink another couple of pints of water before dinner.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 6.5 - hopeful for a better day.
Waited around for my cleaning lady to come "about 10" before eating. Gave up at 11.30 and had 2 Atkins crackers with cucumber and mayonnaise (5 g carbs). Took a relatively high dose of insulin before hand. Of course, she arrived just as I was eating it! So I forgot to take my pills. Just had more insulin and another 2 crackers with some prosciutto and tomato. Just realised that I didn't take my pills then either, so must do that.

Tonight will be grilled aubergine with a cheese and tomato topping. A bit like a pizza with an aubergine base, I suppose.

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunchtime cob salad with h/m ranch dressing. Then Yeo Valley extra thick yoghurt (3.5g carbs/100g and easily holds its own against Greek yog) mixed with cream and a few blueberries.
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-italian-cabbage-stir-fry with a couple of glasses of wine.
@Annb the aubergine pizza sounds good. I still haven’t got round to @maglil55 ‘s parmigiana which I’ve been intending to do for weeks.
@Chook what did you think of the LoDough? B&M Christmas displays? Really? Good Lord.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

OMAD today as out walking most of the day. Train to Tipton and the Black Country Living Museum and then a walk back to the hotel in Birmingham along various canals.

Dinner was Nando’s take out. 10 wings with 2 portions of halloumi. Just had a sneaky packet of serious pig snacking cheese and am plotting tomorrow’s walk.

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunchtime cob salad with h/m ranch dressing. Then Yeo Valley extra thick yoghurt (3.5g carbs/100g and easily holds its own against Greek yog) mixed with cream and a few blueberries.
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-italian-cabbage-stir-fry with a couple of glasses of wine.
@Annb the aubergine pizza sounds good. I still haven’t got round to @maglil55 ‘s parmigiana which I’ve been intending to do for weeks.
@Chook what did you think of the LoDough? B&M Christmas displays? Really? Good Lord.

As I understand it, the Yeo ET Yoghut is just strained Greek Style yoghurt. ou can do that from IP yoghurt.

I strained mine a few times, but being terminally lazy, I couldn't be bothered with the additional faff every week.

Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

yesterday
Too hot to function, so didn’t.
B: kefir
L: 70%
D: Mexican mince with a dab of sour cream and another dab of guacamole. Did NOT jam up my joints with salsa! That lesson is well and truly learned.

It comes to something when it is too hot for the dogs to queue for a lap. Felt quite unloved.

today
Cooler and breezier, and much more pleasant
B: 2 GF tescos sausages. Not as nice as our usual choice
L: steak, eaten in the garden to an audience of worshipping hounds
D: Coronation chicken

Brief trauma when I left my phone on a table in the park while dog walking. But some wonderful, kind, honest and saintly person handed it in to the nearby kiosk. Bless them.
As traumas go it was mild and quickly over.
Thank you to all Phone Handers In whoever and wherever you are. Much appreciated!

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55