Medtronic 670

champ200581

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all
Anyone running the 670 with the guardian sensor, closed loop at present?

Hopeful for any thoughts & feed back as I've just signed up but we'll have to self fund the sensor- hope for change over mid June
TIA x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @champ200581 I haven't come across anyone yet using it, but tagging in another member @tim2000s who might know of someone, I'd be interested to hear feedback on this too :)

Reactions: champ200581

champ200581

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @champ200581 I haven't come across anyone yet using it, but tagging in another member @tim2000s who might know of someone, I'd be interested to hear feedback on this too :)
Thank you, it feels like I might be close to Mecca if it runs as they are saying it will it would be a relief to have something that takes some of the thought strain of it ‍♀️ here's hoping

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started pumping a couple of months ago. I had the option of the Medtronic 670G but chose the Tandem t:slim X2.
For now the 670G does more - it is a "hybrid closed loop" which should keep blood sugars from going too high or too low.
Within the next month or so the t:slim will have an option called Basal-IQ which helps prevent lows. Next year it will be updateable to a similar closed loop.
Both pumps need Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGMs) to do the clever stuff. Unless you are very lucky you will need to self fund this.
Most people agree that the Dexcom G6 CGM used with the t:slim is better than Medtronic's. I've used Dexcoms for a number of years & they are excellent

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using the 670G and cgm on automatic for a couple of weeks now. I was prescribed a cgm in 2015, due to reduced hypo -awareness.

I'm still getting used to the 670G system but it certainly looks like it is controlling my blood sugar better than the 640G system.

There are times when the pump tells me to test BG, and then tells me to test again. My poor fingers were objecting to this, but at pump training we were told to do exactly what the pump said.

With the 640G/Enlite sensor system, I could use a sensor for 12 days instead of just 6. The 670G/Guardian 3 system is so new to me and my skin is particularly sensitive at the moment, so I haven't tried to make the sensor last more than the set 7 days.

it takes time to get used to it, and it takes a lot of trust to let it get on with the job, but I think the 670G system is wonderful.

JenniW

Evening all
Anyone running the 670 with the guardian sensor, closed loop at present?

Hopeful for any thoughts & feed back as I've just signed up but we'll have to self fund the sensor- hope for change over mid June
TIA x

`Hi,
I am currently on the Medtronic 670 and have been now for over a month. The CBM is OK, I was on the Libre so going back to finger pricks is a little nerving. The pump asks me to collaborate x3 a day sometimes depending on levels of course.

I hate the sensors, they are brutal to put in because of the larger needle, then releasing the needle is a trick in itself. By this point the sensor has filled with blood and the transmitter fails to work.

They are expensive to fund (I do not fund my own) but I can go through at least 2 trying to get the right spot so no gushing happens.
There are no hypos on the auto mode, no highs either, this is good, the pump itself is impressive but the sensors need a lot of work to them before I would consider them.
My older pump was due the upgrade, I did my research and wanted so much to pull away from the nocturnal hypos, unfortunately for me, I have withdrawn from the sensors and using the pump in manual mode whilst finger pricking. Still no hypos and no highs but plenty of sore blood less fingers.

Sorry I don't have much to say about the sensor, but the pump itself is amazing, You just need the sensors to use it effectively. Right now, Im just getting by.

J

JenniW

I started pumping a couple of months ago. I had the option of the Medtronic 670G but chose the Tandem t:slim X2.
For now the 670G does more - it is a "hybrid closed loop" which should keep blood sugars from going too high or too low.
Within the next month or so the t:slim will have an option called Basal-IQ which helps prevent lows. Next year it will be updateable to a similar closed loop.
Both pumps need Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGMs) to do the clever stuff. Unless you are very lucky you will need to self fund this.
Most people agree that the Dexcom G6 CGM used with the t:slim is better than Medtronic's. I've used Dexcoms for a number of years & they are excellent

Hi

I've been researching the dexcom, its the no finger pricks I like along with the apple compatibility. Im looking to change from the Medtronic 670G, you're talking to an old insight pump and Libre user, the dexcom seems far more friendly than what Im on and where Ive been.

Cheers

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I've been researching the dexcom, its the no finger pricks I like along with the apple compatibility. Im looking to change from the Medtronic 670G, you're talking to an old insight pump and Libre user, the dexcom seems far more friendly than what Im on and where Ive been.

Cheers

Yes, my finger tips are very happy with the G6. I still do a few blood tests but a lot less than I used to.

champ200581

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all, I think I'll just have to go with it & I'm sure I'll cope- by the sounds ultimately it should get me a better night's sleep and wake up in range
Thanks for taking the time to reply

Gary61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I've been using the new 670g pump for 8 weeks now and have found it pretty amazing with regards controlling my blood sugars. Previously I used the Animas pump with a Dexcom sensor and I personally can't believe how much better the 670g is. I admit that it does take a little time to get you're head around it's operation and yes, it is a bit of a pain calibrating a new sensor for it, but the benefits I received from using it far outweigh the niggly things required with it.
I can honestly say that after 40yrs of being a Type1 diabetic, this is by far the best I've ever felt and for the first time ever I am not thinking about what my BS levels are almost the entire day. I now actually feel safe going to sleep at night knowing that my blood sugars will be practically a straight line all night.
Although I have given it a fantastic review, users must also be aware that it is only as good as how the user manages themselves with regards having a reasonable carbohydrate diet. It cannot compensate by itself for huge swings in BS but having said that, the rate of rise or fall is much shallower which allows for further adjustment if required. To give an example of this is that I have just come home from a 5* All Inclusive holiday where I really did push my boundaries and found the pump helped me enormously when force feeding myself all of that delicious food :)

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
I'm about to jump on the 670g bandwagon. Currently using a 640g so quite keen on following these threads.

Paulbreen

Hi all, I was just researching to see how people get on with the G670 CGM Pump .
I got mine last week and after a weeks training in the hospital (normal here in Germany) I thought it was pretty good, this is my first pump experience and this week I was using it on my own.
If I’m honest I’m not impressed with the sensor at all, it’s nearly impossible to change it on my own, what are everyone else’s feelings, experiences with the sensor especially
30 years type1, previous Libre and flexpens

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, I was just researching to see how people get on with the G670 CGM Pump .
I got mine last week and after a weeks training in the hospital (normal here in Germany) I thought it was pretty good, this is my first pump experience and this week I was using it on my own.
If I’m honest I’m not impressed with the sensor at all, it’s nearly impossible to change it on my own, what are everyone else’s feelings, experiences with the sensor especially
30 years type1, previous Libre and flexpens

Hello! I've been using the guardian sensors for a while, and before that the other Medtronic sensors, so have nothing to compare them to. At the minute I am running the guardian alongside the Dexcom to see if the T Slim would suit me and I can see that the sensor application is easier for the Dexcom - round the back of an arm, it's tricky one-handed with Medtronic. But I have learned to do so. But for me, the Medtronic sensors are exactly in tune with my blood testing machine and very, very accurate, I'd say more accurate than the Dexcom, but then, I've not been using it for long. the Dexcom seems to lag when the Medtronic already has changed the reading.

Reactions: JudyLee