Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

JRT

Reactions: NoSugarBabe

JRT

If you remember "Tomorrow's World" then probably nothing like the predictions.
I do,and I must admit how they imagined we would live now is quite entertaining. I also remember(just) when Space 1999 seemed very distant! I'm sure there are many things that exist now that we could never have imagined 40 years ago. All that having to get up and change channels,all three of them!

Max68

I do,and I must admit how they imagined we would live now is quite entertaining. I also remember(just) when Space 1999 seemed very distant! I'm sure there are many things that exist now that we could never have imagined 40 years ago. All that having to get up and change channels,all three of them!

Haven't seen a Hoverboard or a Time Machine made out of a DeLorean as yet! Although I could certainly do with the Sports Almanac as I could win enough knowing the results over the next few months to stay at home and not worry!!! ;)

Quite a bit from Star trek has become reality though. If Boris was the Captain of The Enterprise I am sure he would insist on the clinically vulnerable wearing red shirts as those poor fellas were right in the front line!!! ;)

Reactions: NoSugarBabe and JRT

lindisfel

Expert
If Boris were Captain Kirk he would have a Romulin special advisor who insisted on having leave to go home before every battle.

But seriously the BBC report the current expansion of the virus in some areas is coming with the message to the young of, "Don't kill your granny!" ,because of poor attitude to distancing.
D.

Last edited:

JRT

Haven't seen a Hoverboard or a Time Machine made out of a DeLorean as yet! Although I could certainly do with the Sports Almanac as I could win enough knowing the results over the next few months to stay at home and not worry!!! ;)

Quite a bit from Star trek has become reality though. If Boris was the Captain of The Enterprise I am sure he would insist on the clinically vulnerable wearing red shirts as those poor fellas were right in the front line!!! ;)
Ah for a time machine! Many years ago my daughters watched a programme about a watch that could freeze time and I remembered thinking how useful that could be! I do remember a case of some very clever criminals who took just a small amount out of millions out of umpteen accounts ,maybe 50p. They made a fortune as people rarely miss such a small amount! Obviously they weren't that clever or wouldn't have got caught!
At least with a Star Trek scenario there might be an option of Boris and Co being beamed up,preferably to an unknown planet and left there!
I wonder what he would do if he could magically turn back the clocks? Would he genuinely make different decisions or just more carefully cover up his mistakes and corruption?
Sadly I think it's the latter.
Theres been quite a bit of publicity about Tory corruption in news this week. Everything from PPE, building regulations, track and trace almost to much to keep up with.
I did take time to listen to independent SAGE who agreed that first priority should be to get childeren back in schools. To do this safely we need to reduce infection by having an efficient track trace and isolate system. This needs to be done through local authorities as they know the area,they can go to people directly,people are more likely to engage. It's how it's done in countries who have coped much better with the virus. To be honest it's even how they do it in the movies!
Why arent we doing it? Well either the government is stupid. Alternatively if such matters were on a local level Boris couldnt hand lucrative contracts to his chums for acquiring PPE or endless Track and Trace programmes.!
I'm sure people remember in April that lots of UK businesses were offering to help whether by making PPE or ventilators, they were finding they were contacting the government but no one was getting back to them. Incompetence or a case of it was a foregone conclusion?
Certainly in the case of track and trace and putting it back in hands of local government it would require substantial investment from the government. Unfortunately local government has been stripped bare in the past decade. In an effort to provide essential and frontline services everything is cut to the bone including public health,environmental health etc. Long serving and experienced workers are no longer there.
I think this is part of the problem in effectively dealing with the virus due to austerity the services we need,social care,NHS, police,army,education were barely coping before the pandemic. Remember the call for retired health care professionals even though they were often in high risk group?
Last week a factory up North had an outbreak. A testing unit was sent in. The testing service is contracted to a large private company. They tested the day shift but refused to do the night shift as not in contract. It took a week to resolve the issue.
Contact tracers are struggling. People are either refusing to answer phone or if do not giving contacts. This seems to be for several reasons. A major factor is lack of support if have to isolate. There is no financial support unless your employer provides sick pay. If part of zero hours/ minimum wage job sector you simply cant afford to be away from work. A 5 week wait for Univesal Credit no help.
So the Government need to give the money it has spent on ineffective world beating programmes back to local authorities if we have any hope of keeping ahead of the virus. This should be happening now, in fact weeks ago,if schools are to open safely. Even Mr Whitty said choices will need to be made. I'm not sure the Government have the inclination to make the right ones.
Are they capable of learning from their mistakes?
About a month ago Hancock announced any care home staff and residents would have access to tests needed on a weekly basis. I must admit I thought this was happening. Certainly it's happening in my daughters care home,every Monday. Last week he announced testing was on hold until September. I was a bit bemused by this,wondered if the situation now under control etc. This week Hancock said it was due to limited access to tests. Hmm. Is that because of rise in infections elsewhere? Apparently the system never really got off the ground. Some care homes got access to tests,some only sporadically, some none at all despite pleas to helpline numbers etc. The testing programme in care homes isnt paused until September it will start then.! Meanwhile any staff and residents who have symptoms can access a test. Sorry but once it's in a care home...
To my surprise my daughters care home apparently is continuing with tests. I must admit I wondered how they were accessing them. They are a national agency so wondered if maybe that gave them more clout. I know social care is a mix of small independently run homes,very few local author8ones,charity ones etc. I knew some were owned by massive international companies. I didnt realise it was 89%. Indeed my daughters is owned by a pan European company who also own pizza express, hobbycraft, pret a manger. She did say she wondered why they got Hobbycraft vouchers!
I think it also throws new light on Boris blaming care homes to. It never was about greedy home owners skimping on PPE.
So Max. Unless a massive miracle happens I cant see much changing by September. In some ways your situation reminds me of another person on here at the start of all this. He was working in a job where he spent all day in and out of peoples homes. He was worried about the risk,worried about keeping a roof over his head and how to approach his employer. Of course three weeks later all of this was taken care of by lockdown and furlough. Until then he was at risk.
I think Max you are in a similar situation. All you can do is buy time as best you can until the government are forced to act

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know if contact chasers leave answerphone messages? I had a string of unknown numbers call me over a few days a couple of weeks ago. I never answer unknown numbers. I assumed it was utility companies as electricity account contract was up for renewal, and they are persistent buggers, but now I wonder as the calls have died off.

lindisfel

Expert
Does anyone know if contact chasers leave answerphone messages? I had a string of unknown numbers call me over a few days a couple of weeks ago. I never answer unknown numbers. I assumed it was utility companies as electricity account contract was up for renewal, and they are persistent buggers, but now I wonder as the calls have died off.
Hi,
On line you can find out from a site, I think it's , Who rang me? If the number is a pest or kosher.
regards
D.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The number that the NHS contact tracers use is 03000135000 so if you see this it is not a scam. Apparently they all use this.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

This is why there is a problem contacting those who have been in contact with a positive Covid case. Some people never answer unknown numbers and are therefore never traced. Always try to check who the unknown number is before dismissing it. It could save some lives.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The number that the NHS contact tracers use is 03000135000 so if you see this it is not a scam. Apparently they all use this.
thank you. Yes I checked and you are right so it wasn't NHS track and trace..

I used 'who called you' to check the other numbers and none were known but a couple of them had been checked multiple times before. I always assume, if the caller really wants to talk to me they will leave a message. None of these wanted me that much, this time.

Max68

Just to update you all on a reply I received this morning from my MP after I sent that email a couple of weeks ago. Not expecting much to be honest but I'll add on here anything I hear.

"Thank you for your approach. I understand your worries and I have taken the decision to forward on your email to the Department of Health and Social Care to comment on your specific situation.

I have informed them this is an urgent email and separately raised our concerns with the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State and Minister for Prevention, Public Health and Primary Care.

I will inform you as soon as I have correspondence."

Reactions: JRT

Tannith

BANNED
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-infection-rates-young-people-22504114#source=push
Coronavirus infection rates for young people surging - with biggest rise in under-5s
Public Health England data shows the infection rate among children aged five and under has jumped by 40%, with experts claiming it could be down to the reopening of schools and nurseries.....

The rate has increased by 35% in the 15-44 age group in England since July 5, a day after "Super Saturday" which saw thousands return to pubs for the first time in months.

Public Health England data shows that, in that age group, 11.9 people per 100,000 population caught coronavirus in the week ending August 2, compared to 8.8 per 100,000 five weeks ago.

A rise of infections in children aged between five and 15 was also reported, with a 32% increase from 2.8 to 3.7 per 100,000 in just over a month.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-infection-rates-young-people-22504114#source=push
Coronavirus infection rates for young people surging - with biggest rise in under-5s
Public Health England data shows the infection rate among children aged five and under has jumped by 40%, with experts claiming it could be down to the reopening of schools and nurseries.....

The rate has increased by 35% in the 15-44 age group in England since July 5, a day after "Super Saturday" which saw thousands return to pubs for the first time in months.

Public Health England data shows that, in that age group, 11.9 people per 100,000 population caught coronavirus in the week ending August 2, compared to 8.8 per 100,000 five weeks ago.

A rise of infections in children aged between five and 15 was also reported, with a 32% increase from 2.8 to 3.7 per 100,000 in just over a month.

So

Its more correctly "positive test results" not infections or cases - we have no idea how many false positives (or negatives for that matter) there are.

Hospitalisations and deaths continue to fall which is a huge positive. We have not seen the predicted "surges" in deaths post many mass gatherings outside.

The more we test the more cases we find (hardly illogical) yet fewer are admitted to hospital and fewer die.

Does that start to give us an indication of the real nature of the now re-named "coronavirus" no longer COVID-19 or SARS-COV-2 note.

PHE are a joke.

Max68

Yep saw that and not surprised as it's hardly rocket science. Makes me laugh when you get all these "experts" saying risk of transmission is low in schools. Er,,,, bar being open to key workers children and vulnerable and those with care plans schools were mostly closed in the physical sense between March and July and now it's the summer holidays so of course transmission would be low!! It's when you open them for all and sundry come September you will see the rate go up. I would love to see the Government with egg on it's face again but not at the expense of illness and deaths, me included!!

I've kind of accepted now that unless I win the lottery I am back in September and will almost certainly pick it up at some stage, which as I said before practically makes all my efforts at lowering my risk since March pretty pointless.

I can't take my pension out without a massive tax hit and I've got no other income options bar a pay packet. The irony is that my mother is very wealthy but is in care with dementia. I know that the mum of two years ago would loan me a few grand but even though I am Power of Attorney I cannot even request a loan through the Court of Protection and even if I could the backlog with the COP will be horrendous.

So as I live alone, and it sounds morbid, I have taken out an LPA for myself with my sister given instructions in the event that I fall ill or worse. I had a will anyway but I also have had to make two documents for my sister generally telling her account numbers, phone numbers, cancellation policies of all my affairs and my mum's affairs so she can deal with both in the event that I end up in hospital or worse. Hopefully I won't obviously but you have to be prepared. Horrible thing to have too write and even more horrible telling my sister that this is what she will have to do in that event. So the lack of concern from the Government re the forgotten clinically vulnerable to Covid has far reaching repercussions not just for us but our families.

Sorry for such a dour - half glass empty post!!

JRT

In some ways it feels more uncertain than ever. More tests,more cases. Less deaths but is that because those that are are more at risk of dying from Coronavirus are remaining super cautious? I do wonder how those that were shielding are finding things.
As always time will tell.
Interestingly I watched a documentary on Porton Down last night. It was made in 2016. At one point the commentator was discussing Ebola and solemnly spoke of an outbreak where 10000 died. Hmm

JRT

Yep saw that and not surprised as it's hardly rocket science. Makes me laugh when you get all these "experts" saying risk of transmission is low in schools. Er,,,, bar being open to key workers children and vulnerable and those with care plans schools were mostly closed in the physical sense between March and July and now it's the summer holidays so of course transmission would be low!! It's when you open them for all and sundry come September you will see the rate go up. I would love to see the Government with egg on it's face again but not at the expense of illness and deaths, me included!!

I've kind of accepted now that unless I win the lottery I am back in September and will almost certainly pick it up at some stage, which as I said before practically makes all my efforts at lowering my risk since March pretty pointless.

I can't take my pension out without a massive tax hit and I've got no other income options bar a pay packet. The irony is that my mother is very wealthy but is in care with dementia. I know that the mum of two years ago would loan me a few grand but even though I am Power of Attorney I cannot even request a loan through the Court of Protection and even if I could the backlog with the COP will be horrendous.

So as I live alone, and it sounds morbid, I have taken out an LPA for myself with my sister given instructions in the event that I fall ill or worse. I had a will anyway but I also have had to make two documents for my sister generally telling her account numbers, phone numbers, cancellation policies of all my affairs and my mum's affairs so she can deal with both in the event that I end up in hospital or worse. Hopefully I won't obviously but you have to be prepared. Horrible thing to have too write and even more horrible telling my sister that this is what she will have to do in that event. So the lack of concern from the Government re the forgotten clinically vulnerable to Covid has far reaching repercussions not just for us but our families.

Sorry for such a dour - half glass empty post!!
Our posts crossed over Max. No apologies needed. I have seen elsewhere that teachers have written wills etc. It does feel like we are on a run away train at the moment with everything going full steam ahead. Yes economy dreadful, schools need to open etc. I do however feel that the probably relatively small group that are faced with a perfect storm with regard to risk are not even on governments radar,if we are we are unimportant.

Reactions: Jbicheno

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Just shows you how relative risk can be made to sound very dramatic (32-35% increase in infections with its implication of a 2nd wave or more likely, more testing) when the absolute numbers are very small and meaningless in terms of hospitalisations/deaths either amongst children or the adults they rarely infect...The recent school studies have been based on schools open in other countries in Europe and Australia during term times and not just for vulnerable kids.
As for the young (15-44) living their lives by going to the beach or out on marches the increase in infections has not resulted in increased deaths or hospitalisations in any age group and in fact we've been dipping under the expected mortality curve for a few weeks now possibly indicating that the very vulnerable have been taken or are still shielding.
It seems that neither side on this debate trusts the government - either you never believed the disease warranted the drastic measures taken or you did believe it and so it now makes no sense to believe it is safe to come out again.

Reactions: Jbicheno