What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Lunchtime cob salad with h/m ranch dressing. Then Yeo Valley extra thick yoghurt (3.5g carbs/100g and easily holds its own against Greek yog) mixed with cream and a few blueberries.
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-italian-cabbage-stir-fry with a couple of glasses of wine.
@Annb the aubergine pizza sounds good. I still haven’t got round to @maglil55 ‘s parmigiana which I’ve been intending to do for weeks.
@Chook what did you think of the LoDough? B&M Christmas displays? Really? Good Lord.

Lodough is interesting! The first couple of times I tried it I really wasn't sure (thank you :) x) but the idea of it grew on me and I enjoyed it as a pizza and as a flatbread. I also liked it as the based for fake Hommity pie but I didn't like it as a wrap at all. I've got it on a four packs a month repeating order so need to think of other ways to eat it..

Can I ask, what is a cob salad?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it, the Yeo ET Yoghut is just strained Greek Style yoghurt. ou can do that from IP yoghurt.

I strained mine a few times, but being terminally lazy, I couldn't be bothered with the additional faff every week.

Yes I think it’s just the same. I bought it as I needed a starter for my next batch of IP yoghurt ( someone ate the whole lot of the last batch before I could save a couple of spoons to start the next one)

Reactions: Chook

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cracker with green pepper paté.
We had a small neighbour garden thing starting at 5, and I've just returned home at 11. In the mean time I've had red wine, cheese cubes, red wine, cold sausage, some berries, red wine, some crisps with a rather random 4 units of insulin, red wine, more cheese cubes and slices of cold sausage, red wine, a substantial piece of meat loaf one of the neighbours brought over after I expressed my envy of her going to eat meat loaf, red wine, peanuts, some more meat loaf with a tiny bit of noodles, red wine and peanuts. And red wine.
Pretty sure this suffices for an evening meal :)

I also learned what happens when you dissect an unripe walnut to find out what kind of tree your neighbours have in their garden instead of simply asking.
First your fingers turn as bright yellow as after handling turmeric, and after an hour or so they turn a dark brown. You won't be able to wash it off, at least not with hot water and dish washing liquid :hilarious:

117400539_10221530980338219_6852505090188277642_o.jpg

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 1 boiled egg mashed up in a cup with butter. I also had 4 small streaky bacon and cheese roll ups. Cup of earl grey tea with double cream.

Dinner - chicken with tasty side salad of lettuce, tomato, cucumber and also mixed olives, red onions, dollop of coleslaw and grated cheese sprinkled over the top. SF jelly and double cream.

I have had a very lazy day spent relaxing and sunbathing in the garden in between hanging out loads of washing.

Tonight walked again to the loch - it's so quiet and relaxing there, we never seen another soul tonight on our travels - so peaceful and so easy to social distance.

@shelley262 I hope you have had a nice time with your mum.

@Goonergal you must be so disappointed you have not got to NY - such strange times at the moment.

@maglil55 school uniform time takes me back to when my boys were young - it used to cost a fortune to kit them out.

@Antje77 you must try the pickled eggs.

@Chook scarey the shops are thinking about the C word already - the kids are not even back to school yet.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lodough is interesting! The first couple of times I tried it I really wasn't sure (thank you :) x) but the idea of it grew on me and I enjoyed it as a pizza and as a flatbread. I also liked it as the based for fake Hommity pie but I didn't like it as a wrap at all. I've got it on a four packs a month repeating order so need to think of other ways to eat it..

I felt the same about LoDough to begin with but I think it is a useful store cupboard stand by. I think the pizza base is best too, but quiche also works well. I also have a repeat order booked, but often pause it when I realise I’ve got a backlog.
Cobb salad is lettuce, tomato, avocado, chicken, cheese, bacon, egg all chopped into smallish bits. I loosely followed this ...it was very similar to one I had in London last week and really enjoyed. https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-cobb-salad-with-ranch-dressing

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cracker with green pepper paté.
We had a small neighbour garden thing starting at 5, and I've just returned home at 11. In the mean time I've had red wine, cheese cubes, red wine, cold sausage, some berries, red wine, some crisps with a rather random 4 units of insulin, red wine, more cheese cubes and slices of cold sausage, red wine, a substantial piece of meat loaf one of the neighbours brought over after I expressed my envy of her going to eat meat loaf, red wine, peanuts, some more meat loaf with a tiny bit of noodles, red wine and peanuts. And red wine.
Pretty sure this suffices for an evening meal :)

I also learned what happens when you dissect an unripe walnut to find out what kind of tree your neighbours have in their garden instead of simply asking.
First your fingers turn as bright yellow as after handling turmeric, and after an hour or so they turn a dark brown. You won't be able to wash it off, at least not with hot water and dish washing liquid :hilarious:

117400539_10221530980338219_6852505090188277642_o.jpg
Your neighbours are certainly a sociable bunch. I hope you got home to the right number of dogs this time.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your neighbours are certainly a sociable bunch. I hope you got home to the right number of dogs this time.
I am so lucky with my neighbours!
And yes, 2 dogs, 3 cats, and 3 chickens perching in the bathroom. I apologised to the chickens for forgetting to turn off the bathroom light before I left :D
(dogs and cats not perching in the bathroom of course!)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: greek yog, seeds and 2 strawberries
L: 2 slices of gouda wrapped around ham and 1 tbsp coleslaw
Then, because its so hot did some prep for a meal we are hosting tomorrow at the same time as preparing dinner. The idea was the oven would only be on once and then the kitchen would cool down while we were outside. Well it sort of worked except I forgot to test before eating and kept tasting what I was cooking. First time using sweetners making brownies and a cheesecake thingy. I have a sneaky suspicion that sweetners spike me, maybe not as much as sugar, but still more than the carb count says it should.

Anyway ended up trying 1 courgette fritter, 4 halloumi chips in breadcrumbs and chicken breast with salad. The first 2 are this weeks lidl special. The first was tasty, the second rather bland and not worth the carbs. 2 glasses red wine. PP bg was 8.3.

Looking forward to trying the desserts tomorrow, and testing for them. The recipes were easy.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I think it’s just the same. I bought it as I needed a starter for my next batch of IP yoghurt ( someone ate the whole lot of the last batch before I could save a couple of spoons to start the next one)
You can always freeze a starter, for emergencies, such as hungry housemates.

Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyway ended up trying 1 courgette fritter, 4 halloumi chips in breadcrumbs and chicken breast with salad. The first 2 are this weeks lidl special. The first was tasty, the second rather bland and not worth the carbs.
I made halloumi chips with a coating of egg and pork scratchings, after flattening the pork scratchings between baking sheets with a bottle. (Using a kitchen implement for crumbling them is obviously easier but I don't have one.)
It tasted very good, although not a good idea if you have non meat eaters for dinner!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb the aubergine pizza sounds good.

It was quite good but another time I will fry the aubergine to make it fairly stiff - just grilled it was a bit too soft. Also should use less cheese - it was delicious, but unnecessarily cheesey. I used raclette cheese, which is very melty, of course, and it filled the pan with molten cheese through which I had to excavate the aubergine slices. I enjoyed it though - especially the bits that stuck to the pan, which I dug out afterwards.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made halloumi chips with a coating of egg and pork scratchings, after flattening the pork scratchings between baking sheets with a bottle. (Using a kitchen implement for crumbling them is obviously easier but I don't have one.)
It tasted very good, although not a good idea if you have non meat eaters for dinner!
Yes, this is on my list of dishes to try. Sounds much tastier than the bought version and I have spare scratchings as I have discovered I don't like them whole :yuck:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What a difference a day makes!! Dense white cloud with occasional light rain showers and a LOT cooler. The rain seems to be carrying dust in it so I'm having to re-do the white wash that was drying outdoors.

@Antje77 That evening with your neighbours sounds lovely - was there enough red wine??? Mr C says the brown stain from the chestnut comes off with Swarfega.

When I cook halloumi I just cut it to whatever shape I want then grill it. No oil or coating. I think the Aldi halloumi fries completely put me off the idea of coated halloumi.

Breakfast: Usual Sunday brunch - chaffle (83g grated cheddar/mozzarella mix plus a small egg mixed together and cooked for 4 minutes in a waffle maker) 100g baked beans, 2 fried eggs and mushrooms
Lunch: Will not be needed
Dinner: Lo-dough pizza - with mozzarella and a few black olives and a tomato side salad

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I see frequent mentions of Lodough and I had assumed that it was some kind of bread mix but looking at their web page it appears only to be one bread product - a kind of pizza base. Is this what people are using for various purposes? It might be worth getting hold of some because it is a bit of a shame not being able to make pies, flat bread etc.

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday bed 6.1 FBG 6.7. Only outing today was to get DIL to her studio for appointments and a trip to Lidl. No boys today. They stayed home with Dad. Lidl has a load of Street Food this week. Not all of it is suitable for a low carb diet but I found some which suited me.

B. TAG and 2 GF crackers with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing
D. Lidl Street food and more - spicy cauliflower bits, chicken wings and ribs minus the sauce, sausage bits in a spicy sauce. Hubby also had cheesy chips with a chilli cheese sauce (sigh).
2 squares of Godiva.

For all of you asking after @zauberflote, she sends lots of hugs & . She's going to try to come back to the thread. She's had quite a few months. Her Mum passed away, first grand baby arrived and they closed on a house and had to move super quick. She's fine though and said to let everyone know.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mrs T 123 - school uniform still costs a fortune but as grandparents now. No way Mum & Dad would manage with the income drop. @Annb - Lo Dough is pretty much what you fo to it. It is bland on its own but a very good store cupboard standby as @DJC3 says. I like using 2 sandwiched together to make quesadillas. Good pizza base too. @Brunneria - I'm a paprika oil halloumi person too.
Saturday bed 6.7 FBG 7.
B. TAG & 2 GF Crackers with pate.
L. Nothing off to Tesco with son and boys.
D. Cooked a free range chicken on the spit. Had it later with lettuce, tomato, burrata, coleslaw and avocado. Way too muggy to be cooking. A wee prosecco and 2 squares of Godiva.

@Antje77 you do have sociable neighbours. Glad to see you didn't end up with extra pooches.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@maglil55 Thank you for finding out about @zauberflote - I do miss her posts.

@Annb I'm quite new to Lo-dough but, like you, I was missing flatbreads. Its very versatile and in their website they have a recipes section and a little recipe leaflet was included in my order. You could just order the one pack to try it out (there are two disks of it in each pack). It is not in any way filling but it is very handy as a carrier for other foods like pizza and was a real winner as a sub for pastry in my fake Hommity pie.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ooohhhh @maglil55 - quesadillas - brilliant idea! I'll have that for dinner instead of pizza. Thank you for the suggestion

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55