Low blood sugar after a strenuous walk

kms85

Hi, has anyone else exercised after eating and found that their sugar drops alarmingly.
I'm very overweight but I'm trying to exercise but get held up having to boost my blood sugar.
Thanks in advance

Kelly

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi Kelly,

What levels are you seeing?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hi, has anyone else exercised after eating and found that their sugar drops alarmingly.
I'm very overweight but I'm trying to exercise but get held up having to boost my blood sugar.
Thanks in advance

Kelly
every time I do strenuous exercise, I shoot up to the 9s, then bottom out around 4: about 30 minutes afterwards . I usually don’t do anything special, maybe have a spoon full of peanut butter or a handful of almonds. I’m T2 tho...

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I shoot up to the 9s, then bottom out around 4: about 30 minutes afterwards

9 is on the high side but 4 is a normal blood sugar, low but not hypo.

Walking the dog often pushes my blood sugar, particularly if I have insulin on board, but I am T1 and all too used to hypos.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks in advance

Kelly

Are you on any medication for diabetes and do you know how low your blood sugar goes? If you get used to higher levels then hypo symptoms can occur at normal levels of blood sugars.

And welcome to the forums.

kms85

I'm not on any medication and the drop is from 8 to 4.3 after a short walk. It would go lower but I take dextro tablets to boost myself

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you getting symptoms of hypoglycaemia?

4.3 is well within normal blood sugar levels. There are many on here who would love to get to that level.
Can you maintain normal blood levels.?
Are you on a low carb diet?

Do keep walking, exercise, portion size and control are so important.