What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carb content estimates please? View attachment 43231
Oh I thought it was just fruit, then i looked closer. Absolutely no carbs at all. There can't be carbs in anything so pretty... well not every once in a while.

Here boring lunch of one slice gouda wrapped round ham and 4 gouda and seed crisps trying to leave space for
D: at least 6 mini samosas done in new air fryer ( frozen samosas from Chinese supermarket fried in spray oil) with some sesame coconut crispbread we brought back from Asia. We were hosting 3 widowed neighbours to a garden meal instead of suppling them usual Sunday roast. Appetisers were followed by grilled prawns and curry marinated chicken with salads. Neighbour 2 supplied a Greek salad that was based on rice (eek!). Neighbour 1 provided deconstructed Summer Berry crumble so I could avoid the sugar (well I mostly did ;)) neighbour 3 provided wine (which I did NOT avoid). Testing proved difficult as meal ended up lasting 4 hours. But every minute was enjoyed.

Airfryer was useful as could safely leave appetisers to cook without being in kitchen. Too much wine drunk, but who cares? Will try to fast longer tomorrow. Was worth it for everyone's mental health.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast CWC, only time for one, nut granola.
CWC
Lunch smoked salmon salad with far too many cherry tomatoes. We are now oversupplied with those tempting little morsels as well. A peach. Water and tea.
Dinner 2 chicken thighs, carrots broccoli and courgettes. Water and Wine.
People came to buy some tools, I managed to offload a whole carrier bag full if runner beans and courgettes onto them, as well as a huge sunflower head full of seeds.
Stupidly started snacking, far too much cheese consumed. And some olives and some chocolate.
@zauberflote welcome back. Condolences for the loss of your mother. What a huge amount of upheaval in your life. Moving and surgery. And ofc the ever present threat of Covid-19. Hoping that things will be more peaceful and settled for you now and that you will have time to enjoy the wonderful new addition to the family.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all! Kind souls have coaxed me back here where I belong although I am exactly where @SlimLizzy was a month ago. Whingefestapallooza over here in the new world. I have so much to read here that I already give up!
High ("") points:
After a very short respiratory illness (probably not Covid; nobody at her facility caught it) my mom passed away Feb 27. She was deep deep into last stages of dementia and went Home. No services have been held yet; everyone would have to travel=not yet.
March 6 first grandbaby born by appointment. Long-awaited and hard-won little boy (insert Grannie babble here)
March 19 we closed on a house of our very own!
March 19-April 18 we moved ourselves (nobody breathing on my things please!)
A short break during which we did not get the carport cleared out and things are moldering out there.
June 4, hernia repair surgery in the little opening between virus surges. All going well but it was harder than I thought.
Last Monday a hurricane remnant, scary but not in reality-- a little wind, a little rain. It rained more Friday than it did Monday. Are we finished yet?

I stopped testing last fall; "too busy with other health stuff". Thought I had a kidney problem but so far dr thinks it's that I was drinking too much water. Labs this month will tell.
Started eating more of the right thing, where I'd merely been eating the right amount. Cardiologist tells me to stop losing weight (apparently BMI under 20 no longer a good BMI...)
Not in conscious response to her, bad-for-me foods join the menu. This continues. I am trying to behave but every day is Groundhog Day so far.
Mr ZF working from home. Puts Oreos on the shopping list. Annual three-chocolate-cakes-in-four-weeks fest for anniversary, father's day, his birthday. Also Ghirardelli brownies for depressed DIL. Then there was National Chocolate Chip Day. Mr ZF loves him his cookies. He will never have diabetes.... last bloods his BG was 82/4.6 a couple of hours after a bowl of raisin bran with a banana on top.
Oh right. My cardiologist will make me take statins if I don't keep my cholesterol down. Trying to stay off cream, butter, cheese. Was doing well but not now.

So. I will tell about the LC things I ate today, and you can assume that some of them were over-indulged, and that something feral has been consumed as well, and forgive me?
Meal 1 avocado, pecans in avocado oil (cardiologist said eat avocado oil...), an egg, 90% Lindt chocolate, and flax crisps with a mug of dilute soymilk. Favorite meal of the day, every day.
Lunch en famille (insert Grannie goo-goo here): chicken picked out of a chicken/onion/apple soupy thing, merlot cheese, cherry tomatoes.
Snack more pecans, celery
Supper to be, I think, a baked chicken thigh, wilted spinach with HM salad dressing, more flax crisps.
Hugs to EVERYBODY!!!!

Welcome back @zauberflote very sorry to hear about your mother but so pleased about your grandson.

Looking forward to seeing your menus again.

Reactions: maglil55

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke to a BG reading of 7.2 (tested twice, it's the highest for about 3 weeks), how was that possible when I went to bed with a 5.9 reading? Putting that down to the dawn phenomenon (even though I had a lie in) plus the high temperatures the day before and through the night.

Breakfast was smoked mackerel.

Dinner flash fried belly pork slices (previously baked till tender) with a small amount of sweet chilli dressing brushed on each slice for the 'lift'. Stir fried bean sprouts, sliced mushrooms and a spring onion in sesame oil. Seasoned with Chinese 5 spice. Would have used some soy sauce but I found I'd ran out.

(Just added soy sauce to my Tesco order, chuffed to find my favourite, Kikkomans, is only 3g carbs per 100ml, massively lower in carbs than other brands, or so it appears).

Felt a bit hungry around 3pm, so tried an experiment: 1 teaspoon of peanut butter (1.5g cars per 11g) raised my BG just 0.1 half an hour later. It did the trick, my 'protesting' tummy was tamed!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was quite good but another time I will fry the aubergine to make it fairly stiff - just grilled it was a bit too soft. Also should use less cheese - it was delicious, but unnecessarily cheesey. I used raclette cheese, which is very melty, of course, and it filled the pan with molten cheese through which I had to excavate the aubergine slices. I enjoyed it though - especially the bits that stuck to the pan, which I dug out afterwards.

Ooh yes the cheesy crispy stuck on bits are always the best.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
6.30 am FBG 8.5. Tea and co-codamol to get my legs working. Swelling not too bad this morning, so I sat with my feet up to stay that way. Went to sleep for 2 hours.

9.20 More tea. Will test again before I have some veg broth. Veg broth isn't very filling so I will have scrambled egg for lunch around 1.30/2.00.

Evening meal will be spiced, roasted brocolli and some chickpeas. Haven't worked out the carbs for that yet, but I expect it will be fairly high but shouldn't be too bad as long as I stay away from carbs for the rest of the day.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb
On another forum they have been discussing inflammation which is often linked to high insulin and high bg. I'm not sure if its a chicken and egg situation as to what happens first, but this book was recommended
https://www.google.com/search?kgmid...0&source=sh/x/kp/osrp&entrypoint=sh/x/kp/osrp

Also, could it be another longer lasting effect of covid (you are one of those who had it? ... or am I all wrong again, if so sincere apolgies)

I did the quiz from this site yesterday evening and got the result back straight away. It appears that there isn't a single area that I shouldn't be concerned about, one that looks as though it's getting bad and the rest are seriously bad. I just have a feeling that I don't trust this result or the site. I will buy the book - next month when I can afford to pay out for extras - tight month August - then I'll see what I think.

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi all! Kind souls have coaxed me back here where I belong although I am exactly where @SlimLizzy was a month ago. Whingefestapallooza over here in the new world. I have so much to read here that I already give up!
High ("") points:
After a very short respiratory illness (probably not Covid; nobody at her facility caught it) my mom passed away Feb 27. She was deep deep into last stages of dementia and went Home. No services have been held yet; everyone would have to travel=not yet.
March 6 first grandbaby born by appointment. Long-awaited and hard-won little boy (insert Grannie babble here)
March 19 we closed on a house of our very own!
March 19-April 18 we moved ourselves (nobody breathing on my things please!)
A short break during which we did not get the carport cleared out and things are moldering out there.
June 4, hernia repair surgery in the little opening between virus surges. All going well but it was harder than I thought.
Last Monday a hurricane remnant, scary but not in reality-- a little wind, a little rain. It rained more Friday than it did Monday. Are we finished yet?

I stopped testing last fall; "too busy with other health stuff". Thought I had a kidney problem but so far dr thinks it's that I was drinking too much water. Labs this month will tell.
Started eating more of the right thing, where I'd merely been eating the right amount. Cardiologist tells me to stop losing weight (apparently BMI under 20 no longer a good BMI...)
Not in conscious response to her, bad-for-me foods join the menu. This continues. I am trying to behave but every day is Groundhog Day so far.
Mr ZF working from home. Puts Oreos on the shopping list. Annual three-chocolate-cakes-in-four-weeks fest for anniversary, father's day, his birthday. Also Ghirardelli brownies for depressed DIL. Then there was National Chocolate Chip Day. Mr ZF loves him his cookies. He will never have diabetes.... last bloods his BG was 82/4.6 a couple of hours after a bowl of raisin bran with a banana on top.
Oh right. My cardiologist will make me take statins if I don't keep my cholesterol down. Trying to stay off cream, butter, cheese. Was doing well but not now.

So. I will tell about the LC things I ate today, and you can assume that some of them were over-indulged, and that something feral has been consumed as well, and forgive me?
Meal 1 avocado, pecans in avocado oil (cardiologist said eat avocado oil...), an egg, 90% Lindt chocolate, and flax crisps with a mug of dilute soymilk. Favorite meal of the day, every day.
Lunch en famille (insert Grannie goo-goo here): chicken picked out of a chicken/onion/apple soupy thing, merlot cheese, cherry tomatoes.
Snack more pecans, celery
Supper to be, I think, a baked chicken thigh, wilted spinach with HM salad dressing, more flax crisps.
Hugs to EVERYBODY!!!!

Hi @zauberflote - REALLY lovely to hear from you!!! Congratulations on the grandbaby Zauberflote and the new house - and I'm so sorry about your Mum. Big hug coming your way. xx

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I did the quiz from this site yesterday evening and got the result back straight away. It appears that there isn't a single area that I shouldn't be concerned about, one that looks as though it's getting bad and the rest are seriously bad. I just have a feeling that I don't trust this result or the site. I will buy the book - next month when I can afford to pay out for extras - tight month August - then I'll see what I think.

Rather than buying the book you could try googling to see if the basics of the plan have been put online somewhere. Also look around to see what other people think about it. You could also look at the reviews on Amazon. I've got a variety of these diet self help books and most of them are a basic concept hugely padded out with a load of unnecessary waffle.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Forgot to list my food!!! (Why dies auto-correct always want to change 'list' to 'lust' - very strange?!?!?

I'm having a hissy fit this morning. Dinner yesterday was Lo-dough made in to quesadillas with stuffed with mozzarella and black olives plus half a tomato made in to salsa. That was it. NOTHING else. BGs after dinner just kept rising... up to 9.4 at bed time then this morning my FBG was (insert rude word of choice) 11.4!!! I can see me having to go back on to insulin soon which I really don't want to do.

So, today

Breakfast: Longley Farm cottage cheese with carb free syrup and flaked almonds
Lunch: Not sure whether to have any - if I do it will be Longley Farm cream cheese on a ryvita or a bit of cheese
Dinner: Aldi black bean spaghetti (1.6g carbs per 100g) and pesto

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Rather than buying the book you could try googling to see if the basics of the plan have been put online somewhere. Also look around to see what other people think about it. You could also look at the reviews on Amazon. I've got a variety of these diet self help books and most of them are a basic concept hugely padded out with a load of unnecessary waffle.

I have been trying to do that. Either there are no useful reviews or I'm useless at finding them. That's probably why I buy so many dud books that prove to be useless when I get them. As you suggest - a basic (and often suspect) concept, padded out with lots of waffle. I might as well get this one as well, I've been having a book clearance recently anyway, so can accommodate one more.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
No idea but it looks stunning!
It was delicious. A smear of Crême Pat, to keep all the fruit in place and a pastry disc underneath that was so rich with butter it should have been dripping.
MrSlim was attempting to buy a low carb cake for me.
Ofc his was a Chocolate Religiouse. Choux pastry filled with chocolate flavour crême pat and chocolate glaze.
Massive carbs.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It was delicious. A smear of Crême Pat, to keep all the fruit in place and a pastry disc underneath that was so rich with butter it should have been dripping.
MrSlim was attempting to buy a low carb cake for me.
Ofc his was a Chocolate Religiouse. Choux pastry filled with chocolate flavour crême pat and chocolate glaze.
Massive carbs.

I've got a husband like that. Ginormous great Eccles cakes from the local baker oozing stickiness are 'healthy' because they've got fruit in them.

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't realise it lead to a website or a quiz, I thought it was just to a book others had talked about. I'm sorry if its false info. It was just women saying how much keto had relieved various symptoms including inflammation and water retention.
I am pleased you had the sense to check it out further. Go with your gut feel. Its not worth buying something that may not work or be of interest. Sorry again if I raised hopes

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't realise it lead to a website or a quiz, I thought it was just to a book others had talked about. I'm sorry if its false info. It was just women saying how much keto had relieved various symptoms including inflammation and water retention.
I am pleased you had the sense to check it out further. Go with your gut feel. Its not worth buying something that may not work or be of interest. Sorry again if I raised hopes

Not at all. It will be interesting to read the book and see what it is about for myself. It just seems so ...American. Sorry to be chauvanistic but I find American self-help books (and fiction) don't sit well with me - apart from the odd one or two authors, that is. Just read a novel by Mitch Albom which goes completely against my earlier statement. I think he is American. Great writer.

My broccoli is currently roasting in the oven covered in butter and spices; chickpeas to add in a short time. I just worked out that the serving I will have will amount to about 20g of carbs. That will put me over my limit for today with the uncounted carbs in my soup breakfast. Ah well. Can't win them all.

Reactions: maglil55 and MrsA2

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not at all. It will be interesting to read the book and see what it is about for myself. It just seems so ...American. Sorry to be chauvanistic but I find American self-help books (and fiction) don't sit well with me - apart from the odd one or two authors, that is. Just read a novel by Mitch Albom which goes completely against my earlier statement. I think he is American. Great writer.

My broccoli is currently roasting in the oven covered in butter and spices; chickpeas to add in a short time. I just worked out that the serving I will have will amount to about 20g of carbs. That will put me over my limit for today with the uncounted carbs in my soup breakfast. Ah well. Can't win them all.

Big hug coming your way!

I've had to cut back on pulses - chickpeas, cannellini beans, butter beans, lentils, any kind of pulses - I love them all but sadly they really don't agree with my T2. My weekly big treat is 100g of reduced sugar baked beans and I only have them if the rest of the meal is virtually carb free. :shifty::meh:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not at all. It will be interesting to read the book and see what it is about for myself. It just seems so American.
I've just had a look and yes! Really heavily salesy.
I have a rule to beware any site That Uses Lots And Lots of Unnecessary Capitals :facepalm:

Reactions: DJC3

Onlinecaroline

Awaiting a diagnosis but thought it is better to be proactive so today’s food

Brunch - Cheese Omelette with streaky bacon and cup of tea with a splash of milk

Dinner - Cajun Chicken made with cream cheese, mushrooms, a red pepper, Cajun spice and a little onion. Served with bare naked noodles (1g carb) and some asparagus

Snacks - 15g of peanut butter and a square of sark chocolate.

It will total at about 22g carbs I think. This is my fourth day and I’ve kept it under 30 each day but just wanted to see if it seems ok?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Awaiting a diagnosis but thought it is better to be proactive so today’s food

Brunch - Cheese Omelette with streaky bacon and cup of tea with a splash of milk

Dinner - Cajun Chicken made with cream cheese, mushrooms, a red pepper, Cajun spice and a little onion. Served with bare naked noodles (1g carb) and some asparagus

Snacks - 15g of peanut butter and a square of sark chocolate.

It will total at about 22g carbs I think. This is my fourth day and I’ve kept it under 30 each day but just wanted to see if it seems ok?

Welcome! Looks like you have hit the ground running. :)