Type 2 needing to convince others I really am diabetic!

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I will try to distance myself from her and keep things on a less personal level. She doesn't understand the difference between prediabetes, and diabetes that is diet controlled. She frequently tries to give me biscuits or cake if we meet for a cup of tea saying one won't hurt. I clearly need to stick up for myself a little more and not allow her to trample on my feelings. I guess I'm feeling disappointed in her as we've known each other for 30 years. Thank you all for your concern and help - I'm so glad I posted this as I don't feel it's my fault any more now.

Maybe there are some tips in this youtube from Dr. Cywes the #CarbAddictionDoc for you? Think we could all do with some 'Arrogant Integrity' - after all I'm sure your friend wouldn't ply you with a drink if you're a recovering alcoholic, nor perhaps offer you a cigarette if you're trying to stop smoking.... giving up carbs is the same, carbs appear to be killing us! I'm all for Arrogant Integrity, I'm going to start practising it in my world! Dr Cywes explains...

Reactions: AloeSvea

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@wend50 A 30 year friendship is not something thrown away lightly just be honest with your friend and tell her that this is one topic you would prefer to be off limits from now on as it is in danger of fracturing your relationship and you don't want that, I had a friend of thirty odd years we had over the years many heated discussions and disagreements but they always came secondary to our friendship which never wavered if your friend is a true friend she will understand and take more notice of your feelings and stay clear of the subject.

Because if she values your friendship as much as you obviously do hers she will understand and desist if not then she clearly is no true friend.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@wend50 - When I was diagnosed, I decided to tell only those who really, really needed to know, so that was my partner, my close family and any health care professionals to whom it mattered. Everyone else? Nope.

Obviously, like the rest of us, I had to tweak my diet a bit to get the numbers down, but when people asked why I wasn't eating or drinking x, y or z, I just said I'd had some blood tests done and they showed certain things I was eating and drinking weren't doing me any favours, so I'd given them up for now.

Almost 7 years on "for now" is still the case, but to be honest, after an initial raised eyebrow or two, nobody bothers any more. The odd acquaintance I haven't seen for a while might asking in passing if I'm still of biscuits (or whatever), and I just explain I got used to it and decided just not to bother with it/them any more.

Generally, in my opinion, most people are curious, as opposed to deeply interested. I just can't be bothered to feed their curiosity and get a hard time in return.

Of course, it isn't the right approach for everyone, but it seems to have worked OK for me.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am not sure why you need to convince anybody that you are diabetic. If you don't want to eat cakes or biscuits just say "no thank you" politely but firmly. If your neighbour doesn't believe you are diabetic, that's up to her, I can't see that it affects you.
I’m with you Mr Pot. What does it matter if she doesn’t believe you’re diabetic? Assuming you get on well in other ways, just turn down her offers of unsuitable food with a smile and no explanation and keep up your good work. My otherwise lovely mother in law believes I’m diabetic but still offers me pudding, potatoes etc on the basis that a little bit won’t hurt!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
When I was told by my employer to self isolate at the start of lockdown my son told me "but you are only a bit diabetic"…......... :banghead:

border collie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@wend50

I’m sorry your friend is not being supportive. There are a lot of misconceptions about diabetes and it sounds like she doesn’t understand or maybe doesn’t want to understand it. I’m new to the forum but have had type2 for four years. I progressed from diet only to needing tablets very quickly because I was ashamed of telling my friends that I had it, and ate the wrong things.

When I finally told them that I needed to make better choices, they were initially sceptical and I have to admit that I made them feel guilty for not being supportive by telling them that I was trying to prevent needing insulin in the future and I couldn’t do that if I was constantly made to feel bad for refusing a homemade brownie or not going drinking with them.

It took a while but they are my biggest supporters now, and will even find lower carb recipes or go swimming with me when I’m unmotivated.

I hope your friend will get it in time and be the support you need to get through.