Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm familiar with the bars.
They aren’t my cup of tea, but I don’t think they are necessarily misrepresented.
They’ve got what, 3g sugars?
The rest of the carb content is polyols, which for most people have nil or minimal blood glucose impact. There are various artificial sweeteners that are polyols.

of course, some people get a rather unfortunate intestinal reaction from large quantities of polyols, but that is a whole other thread ;)

Reactions: JenniferM55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems that whether they impact your blood sugars varies. @Rachox eats them without issue. I tried one and it shot me up in double figure BG levels. Taste wasn’t to my liking either, very synthetic - for that amount of rise I’d choose something different.

Reactions: JenniferM55

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never heard of polyols, something I'll research. I just saw they were 13g carbs a bar.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They contain xylitol so I won't have them in the house. Can be fatal to fur babies. And polylols seem to spike me.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal yes indeed I do eat and enjoy Carb Killa bars. As @Brunneria explained above they are sweetened with Polyols which are sugar alcohols though they are neither sugar or alcohol! Polyols are a carbohydrate but are not converted into sugar like many other carbohydrates that us low carbers avoid. Some people as Goonergal says are adversely affected by them but I find that my blood sugars are ok with them. The ‘impact’ carb count is calculated by subtracting the grams of polyols (blue arrow) from the total carb count (green arrow) in the example below, so in this case 4g carbs per bar.

EDIT TO ADD as @xfieldok says xylitol is poisonous for pets but not all flavours use that particular polyol, so if you have pets and want to try one just check out the ingredients for one with a different polyol.

34378AD0-B78C-4296-9BA6-8CCBFA88240A.jpeg

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal yes indeed I do eat and enjoy Carb Killa bars. As @Brunneria explained above they are sweetened with Polyols which are sugar alcohols though they are neither sugar or alcohol! Polyols are a carbohydrate but are not converted into sugar like many other carbohydrates that us low carbers avoid. Some people as Goonergal says are adversely affected by them but I find that my blood sugars are ok with them. The ‘impact’ carb count is calculated by subtracting the grams of polyols (blue arrow) from the total carb count (green arrow) in the example below, so in this case 4g carbs per bar.

EDIT TO ADD as @xfieldok says xylitol is poisonous for pets but not all flavours use that particular polyol, so if you have pets and want to try one just check out the ingredients for one with a different polyol.

View attachment 43247
I see the words "laxative effect" in that picture. I think one problem is that some bgl meters misread in reaction to some polyols, especially Malitol. 29% polyols content seem to be excessive especially if they are supposed to be inert.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 43247
Sorry if I am being thick here but are they only 4 carbs for the full bar?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry if I am being thick here but are they only 4 carbs for the full bar?
Theoretically yes 4g impact carbs, that is total carbs minus carbs from Polyols (21 - 17 = 4). Everyone trying these should test before and after eating one to see what their personal reaction is in terms of blood sugars.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m another one that spikes on these bars. I’d also add that not all polyols are the same or have the same effects. Maltitol is used in many bars and is the one that spikes me badly, and a fair few others, as well as being the worst culprit for digestive upsets. Xylitol is usually better on both frontS but toxic to dogs. Erythritol is generally the best with fewest undesirable effects as it is processed differently to many other polyols and rarely effects blood sugar. Obviously individuals may not like the taste of some and, rarely, people have allergies too to consider.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Theoretically yes 4g impact carbs, that is total carbs minus carbs from Polyols (21 - 17 = 4). Everyone trying these should test before and after eating one to see what their personal reaction is in terms of blood sugars.
Many thanks for that - I would have to test but I think 4 carbs would be ok - I must give them a try - it is what I have been looking out for.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Malitol is hydrogenated starch, usually from corn oil (generally in the form of High Fructose Corn Syrup HFCS). So in effect it is a transcarb, i.e. a fake carb that our body does not recognise so cannot process. It is considered safe for consumption it has the formula C12H24O11. It is recorded as having an effect on blood sugar levels but not as much as sucrose. Although classed as a sugar alcohol, it is not related to the ethanol / methanol family.

Malitol is linked to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and has laxative properties.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took some of them with me to a tournament once and ended up giving them away and sticking to the freebie Nature Valley protein bars. Agree for me they just tasted a little bit artificial but I don’t remember particularly spiking with them... just didn’t like the taste!

totally agree with @Rachox to try and monitor to see what impact they have on you - that goes for pretty much anything really!

Reactions: Rachox

Neil2020

I bought some "low sugar" bars and found they had about 20 carbs per bar in them. Eventually saved them for when I was hungry and didn't have access to other foods and ate half a bar.

I have found Aldi's chocolate nut bars work for me. Approx 6 carbs per bar and feels like a treat.

Reactions: Gracie204 and DJC3

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought some "low sugar" bars and found they had about 20 carbs per bar in them. Eventually saved them for when I was hungry and didn't have access to other foods and ate half a bar.

I have found Aldi's chocolate nut bars work for me. Approx 6 carbs per bar and feels like a treat.
I second that. I use them and test out ok.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Neil2020 do the Aldi ones have a brand name? Do I just look for nut bars? Sorry to trouble you

Reactions: DJC3

Vicstick

Agree - the Aldi nut bars are great. Carb killer bars not good for me - spike & loo visits. Bought some freeist cola bottles which I lived to regret as well....

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the Aldi bars. A good size too. I’ve just discovered Fattbars. Various options available. 1g, 2g and 3g per bar. Haven’t come across a flavour I don't like. A little chewy but I love this about them.

For info:

https://www.fattbar.com/shop/apple-cinnamon/

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just watch your teeth with the Aldi bars. I find them hard and chewy, which is nice, but I did lose a filling on one