Type 2 New to taking metformin

Shan-Marie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I've started taking metformin this week. It makes me feel so sick and have a bad stomach how long does it take to get used to it? And also since starting it I feel hungry all of the time which I was hardly ever hungry before. Did anyone else experience this

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I've started taking metformin this week. It makes me feel so sick and have a bad stomach how long does it take to get used to it? And also since starting it I feel hungry all of the time which I was hardly ever hungry before. Did anyone else experience this

I had stomach problems, although I did have IBS symptoms before anyway. The metformin certainly seemed to exacerbate it. I believe there is a slow release version which seems to have fewer side effects it might be worth asking about.
In the end after reading round a lot on this forum, and reducing the amount of carbohydrates I eat, I actually stopped taking metformin altogether and my HbA1c is now in the normal range. ( IBS also cleared up after changing to LCHF) It might be worth asking your doctor if you could try managing your T2 with diet alone for a few months?

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I was put on metformin, it’s the first drug they tend to try. the slow release version is kinder to your stomach, so worth asking for it. It’s taken exactly the same. Most people have gastro problems as a side effect, for a few weeks. For me it was constant so I stopped taking it. The hunger may be linked to nausea you are feeling? I hope you start to feel better soon.

Reactions: Shan-Marie

mouseee

I had a couple of weeks of a poorly stomach but it sooner went. They taking it after food for a bit as it seems to be gentler on the stomach.

Shan-Marie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had stomach problems, although I did have IBS symptoms before anyway. The metformin certainly seemed to exacerbate it. I believe there is a slow release version which seems to have fewer side effects it might be worth asking about.
In the end after reading round a lot on this forum, and reducing the amount of carbohydrates I eat, I actually stopped taking metformin altogether and my HbA1c is now in the normal range. ( IBS also cleared up after changing to LCHF) It might be worth asking your doctor if you could try managing your T2 with diet alone for a few months?
Okay thank you I will deffo try asking about the slow release version if it gets no better. Im only taking one metformin in the morning and I feel awful already but the aim is 4 a day :(. Im glad you don't have to take the metformin anymore thanks for the advice

Reactions: DJC3

Shan-Marie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was put on metformin, it’s the first drug they tend to try. the slow release version is kinder to your stomach, so worth asking for it. It’s taken exactly the same. Most people have gastro problems as a side effect, for a few weeks. For me it was constant so I stopped taking it. The hunger may be linked to nausea you are feeling? I hope you start to feel better soon.
I will deffo try and ask because im only taking one tablet in the morning at the moment but the drs want me to take 4 a day and I just dont think I can stomach it. Thank you

Reactions: Rose22

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve written this before but have had absolutely no response either way. I’ll try again. My brother, a long standing type 2, recommended I took a high quality pro biotic tablet when I started Metformin as recommended to him when he started taking it. We both found it warded off stomach problems. I don’t think it was a coincidence but who knows. It would be interesting to hear if it works for anyone else. Metformin has several beneficial side effects so I have never minded taking it.

Shan-Marie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve written this before but have had absolutely no response either way. I’ll try again. My brother, a long standing type 2, recommended I took a high quality pro biotic tablet when I started Metformin as recommended to him when he started taking it. We both found it warded off stomach problems. I don’t think it was a coincidence but who knows. It would be interesting to hear if it works for anyone else. Metformin has several beneficial side effects so I have never minded taking it.
Thanks for the advice I will give it a try