Confusing BG readings after carb heavy meal

andyslowrider

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I've been fairly diligently following the LCHF approach to managing my T2 since diagnosis in April and am making some good progress.

Yesterday, for a special occasion lunch, I decided to take a break from LCHF and indulged in a few carbs - some bread, a small portion of chips, a slice of cheese cake and half a shot of limoncello.

My BG before fist bite was 5.7, my reading two hours after first bite (which was 10 minutes after last bite!) was 9.9, 2 hours after last bite was 11.0. I know these last two readings are unhealthily high, but they were in line with my expectations. What surprised me was that 1 hour later my BG had dropped from 11.0 to 5.1 (I retested twice to double check!) and then 4.6 another 30 minutes later. Normally I only see readings in the low 5's or 4's after an hour or more of light to moderate cycling.

I didn't eat again for the rest of the day and my fasting reading this morning was 6.8, which is about 0.5 higher than I would normally expect.

Do any of you have any idea why my BG dropped so rapidly from 11 to 5.1? I know that the initial high reading is not good, but is the sudden drop something to be pleased or concerned about?

Thanks

Andy

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would assume your big drop was because the carb heavy meal forced your pancreas to produce a large surge of insulin, dropping your blood sugars from high to normal very quickly. This also happens to me sometimes after I have overindulged in carbs. I liken it to Reactive Hypoglycemia except that I don't hypo when it drops.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I agree with @Bluetit1802

It looks like your pancreas was grooving along in its low carb holiday (where it doesn't see much action because you don't eat many carbs), then you put some hefty carb portions down the chute (hope they were as delicious as they sound :D ) and your pancreas dithered around in surprised confusion for a while before finally getting with the programme and producing enough insulin to deal with the situation.

As for your reading the following morning, a difference of 0.5mmol/l isn't that much. Could be simply a variation between strip accuracy (meters aren't always that accurate), or it could be that your pancreas is still reeling from yesterdays rude awakening ;) and decided to have a bit of a lie in. :D