Prediabetes Prediabetic

burleybrown

I dip in and out of prediabetic levels over the years. Usually get the numbers down quickly by diet etc. Recently can’t get below 5:9 to 6:2 first thing in morning. How long should I let this go on before going to doctor ?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
As others have already told you in the other thread you started, your numbers are not too bad.

I am sure that there are things you can try before resorting to doctors and medication.

What types of food are you typically eating in a day?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You said in your other thread you were diagnosed prediabetic about 3 years ago. Have you had any other HbA1c tests since then? The normal guidelines are that you should be checked every 12 months. When else do you check your own levels? Before and after eating? As it stands, your morning fasting levels are fine. Yes, they could be lower, but our morning fasting levels are not a very reliable marker as to what is happening throughout the day as many things can affect them.

burleybrown

As others have already told you in the other thread you started, your numbers are not too bad.

I am sure that there are things you can try before resorting to doctors and medication.

What types of food are you typically eating in a day?

I’ve been following the 800 calorie 8 week Dr Molesly diet. I’ve used it before when I’ve wanted to lower levels and always worked but this time I seem to be stuck

burleybrown

You said in your other thread you were diagnosed prediabetic about 3 years ago. Have you had any other HbA1c tests since then? The normal guidelines are that you should be checked every 12 months. When else do you check your own levels? Before and after eating? As it stands, your morning fasting levels are fine. Yes, they could be lower, but our morning fasting levels are not a very reliable marker as to what is happening throughout the day as many things can affect them.

When a well woman check showed the higher level three years ago they told me I was probably prediabetic so I bought
Myself a meter. I only use it first thing. Should I use it during the day too?

burleybrown

When I go onto diabetes website they say 5:5 and below is normal. That’s what was worrying me about my 6:3 and it being stuck around there.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve been following the 800 calorie 8 week Dr Molesly diet. I’ve used it before when I’ve wanted to lower levels and always worked but this time I seem to be stuck

When it comes to managing diabetes, forget calories.

You need to be looking at the nutrition panels on food packaging and keeping an eye on the carbohydrate contents. (Ignore the 'of which sugars' bit).

Sugar is one member of the carbohydrate food group. So is bread, pasta, rice, potato to name a few. These foods are high in carbohydrates and all carb's turn into glucose in the body. Most fruit has fructose in it which is a simple sugar

This is why I asked you what you eat on an average day, you can be low on calories and still relatively high on carbohydrates.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I make lots of home made soups with lots of veg. Now I’m wondering - too much carb?

Possibly.

If you consult Dr Google, you can type in, how many carbs in carrots (for example) and get a lot of useful info.
upload_2020-8-11_12-53-58.png

Our wonderful NHS gives a reference intake of 260grams of carbohydrate per day.
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/what-are-reference-intakes-on-food-labels/

But we have members who have Type 2 diabetes in remission by eating just 20g or even less. Don't go mad trying to get to this level tomorrow! I would suggest that you start off by keeping a food diary and working out what your carbohydrate intake is, you may already be a lot lower than 260grams.

Reactions: burleybrown

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Don't worry about meter readings first thing in the morning due to the overnight liver dump of glucose. It's better to check 2 hours after typical meals. A diabetic will not usually be able to be under 5.5 mmol. If you stay below 8.5 mmol 2 hours after a meal that should be fine - lower is always nice.

Although the 800 calorie diet will help it's not optimal as Calories are irrelevant and Carbs are what matters. One day Dr Mosely will catch-up!

Reactions: burleybrown

burleybrown

Possibly.

If you consult Dr Google, you can type in, how many carbs in carrots (for example) and get a lot of useful info.
View attachment 43259

Our wonderful NHS gives a reference intake of 260grams of carbohydrate per day.
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/what-are-reference-intakes-on-food-labels/

But we have members who have Type 2 diabetes in remission by eating just 20g or even less. Don't go mad trying to get to this level tomorrow! I would suggest that you start off by keeping a food diary and working out what your carbohydrate intake is, you may already be a lot lower than 260grams.

You’ve been so helpful. Thank you

Reactions: urbanracer