GAD Antibody result

Amyjane_

So I got my results back last Friday. I have positive antibodies. The endo stated that my antibodies were 156. Does this mean that this is the diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes? I have been diagnosed over 4 months now. I just want to buy some diabetes related things. So I want to know that I 100% have got it.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
We can't diagnose you on this forum. But it certainly supports type 1.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
So I got my results back last Friday. I have positive antibodies. The endo stated that my antibodies were 156. Does this mean that this is the diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes? I have been diagnosed over 4 months now. I just want to buy some diabetes related things. So I want to know that I 100% have got it.

The test isn't 100% foolproof because some non diabetics test positive for GAD antibodies and some T1 diabetics don't test positive. However, a positive result is often taken in context with other factors that lead to diagnosis such as excessivie weight loss, thirst, frequent urination etc.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally a positive GAD would indicate T1 and if an associated C-Peptide test showed low insulin production that would be a clincher.

Reactions: urbanracer

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally a positive GAD would indicate T1 and if an associated C-Peptide test showed low insulin production that would be a clincher.

Hi Daibell, when I was undergoing initial tests it seemed as if NOTHING was a clincher. It went like this, them: 'You have a low end of normal C Peptide'. me; 'Oh type 1 then', them; 'Not necessarily, you were already on insulin when we did it meaning your body didn't necessarily need to use its own, hence low Peptide'

Them; 'You have positive Gad antibodies', me; 'Oh type 1 then', them; 'Not necessarily, some type 2s have positive GADs & even non diabetics'.

Them; 'You went into DKA', me 'Type 1 then', them; 'Not necessarily, any type can get DKA'.

Well, you get the picture, in the end they said 'highly likely type 1' as it was a combination of everything that helped them 'guess' and guess WAS the word used albeit it must have been an educated one. x

Amyjane_

Hi Daibell, when I was undergoing initial tests it seemed as if NOTHING was a clincher. It went like this, them: 'You have a low end of normal C Peptide'. me; 'Oh type 1 then', them; 'Not necessarily, you were already on insulin when we did it meaning your body didn't necessarily need to use its own, hence low Peptide'

Them; 'You have positive Gad antibodies', me; 'Oh type 1 then', them; 'Not necessarily, some type 2s have positive GADs & even non diabetics'.

Them; 'You went into DKA', me 'Type 1 then', them; 'Not necessarily, any type can get DKA'.

Well, you get the picture, in the end they said 'highly likely type 1' as it was a combination of everything that helped them 'guess' and guess WAS the word used albeit it must have been an educated one. x

That’s bad!! that’s the same with me. It says on the letters. Likely type 1..

Rhys.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Amy,

Hope you are well. I am like you, I was diagnosed in April of this year. I was waiting a good month for my Antibody results, but we assumed I was Type 1 from the get go. My Results were GAD Antibodies 226 and IA2 28.

I am currently 4 months into type 1 next Thursday and just entered an extreme honeymoon period. I am currently off insulin completely for now, except for maybe 2 units of novorapid in the morning, as I do spike after my first meal to around 10 occasionally.

I am still in denial I think, but I have had 3 top doctors and nurses, confirm it for me. Honeymoon isn't helping, because my body is tricking me that I am back to normal. But these antibodies, will eventually kick in.

How are you with insulin at the moment? Have you entered a honeymoon? You mentioned you weren't taking much at the minute. You're not alone in your thinking, trust me. It just doesn't seem right to me either. I am currently told there is no need to do a C-Peptide, as it will show me probably producing a sufficient amount.

Have you had a C-Peptide test yet?

I do wish mine was a misdiagnosis and reading your comments, I hope yours is too.

If it's correct, you've got this. There are alot people here that have had it many many years and have given me lots of hope. I am also very confident, in the Beta Cell regeneration / multiplying studies by Professor Andrew Stewart and his team at Mount Sinai in the next few years.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
However, I am not someone who needs a label. I am happy to have treatment that keeps me alive and able to do everything I want.

Hi there, I couldn't care less about a label in and of itself either but the 'label' is important as it tells us whether we have a lifelong condition where we need to use life saving medicine for ever or a condition where we might be able to reverse/improve through diet alone etc. Not to mention all the additional resources available or associated issues that go with a diagnosis. I imagine the label is important to the medical profession, we all know of type 1s being treated as type 2s and people not getting the proper care because their 'label' is wrong.

Reactions: In Response

Amyjane_

Hey Amy,

Hope you are well. I am like you, I was diagnosed in April of this year. I was waiting a good month for my Antibody results, but we assumed I was Type 1 from the get go. My Results were GAD Antibodies 226 and IA2 28.

I am currently 4 months into type 1 next Thursday and just entered an extreme honeymoon period. I am currently off insulin completely for now, except for maybe 2 units of novorapid in the morning, as I do spike after my first meal to around 10 occasionally.

I am still in denial I think, but I have had 3 top doctors and nurses, confirm it for me. Honeymoon isn't helping, because my body is tricking me that I am back to normal. But these antibodies, will eventually kick in.

How are you with insulin at the moment? Have you entered a honeymoon? You mentioned you weren't taking much at the minute. You're not alone in your thinking, trust me. It just doesn't seem right to me either. I am currently told there is no need to do a C-Peptide, as it will show me probably producing a sufficient amount.

Have you had a C-Peptide test yet?

I do wish mine was a misdiagnosis and reading your comments, I hope yours is too.

If it's correct, you've got this. There are alot people here that have had it many many years and have given me lots of hope. I am also very confident, in the Beta Cell regeneration / multiplying studies by Professor Andrew Stewart and his team at Mount Sinai in the next few years.

Hey! I have no idea what the IA2 is, I haven’t had that done. They said when I was admitted that I was type 1 given the presentation I was in. I’m not in honeymoon period yet still needing insulin (probably won’t even go into honeymoon period) although I’m only on 1:8 all day and 12u in morning of levemir and 2u at night. No I haven’t had the C-peptide test yet. I don’t think there is any need to until a couple years down the line. My dad and uncle has it so more than likely it is type 1. I’m not too bothered if it is anyway - I just plough through .

Reactions: In Response

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey! I have no idea what the IA2 is, I haven’t had that done. They said when I was admitted that I was type 1 given the presentation I was in. I’m not in honeymoon period yet still needing insulin (probably won’t even go into honeymoon period) although I’m only on 1:8 all day and 12u in morning of levemir and 2u at night. No I haven’t had the C-peptide test yet. I don’t think there is any need to until a couple years down the line. My dad and uncle has it so more than likely it is type 1. I’m not too bothered if it is anyway - I just plough through .

Hi, they often do 2/3 lots of different antibody tests so you may have had it done but not known about it? Also, I think the honeymoon period just means at the start you may need lower amounts of insulin as you may still be making your own, it's not determined by taking NO insulin. x