Pork Scratchings

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read pork scratchings can be ground and used in place of breadcrumbs. I'd like to have a go at making chicken goujons using the 'secret' Colonel Saunder's KFC spices. It'll be a sort of faux KFC. Plus scratchings are yummy on their own.

Does anyone know of where I can get a good supply, or recommend a brand? Most of the bulk buy on Amazon are either fried in oil or enhanced with a load of Es, and just when I think I discovered a brand; customer reviews put me off.

The best scratchings I've ever tasted was purchased in a butcher's shop in Tring, they were sold in a plain plastic bag, we were passing through at the time.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Reactions: Bex72

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read pork scratchings can be ground and used in place of breadcrumbs. I'd like to have a go at making chicken goujons using the 'secret' Colonel Saunder's KFC spices. It'll be a sort of faux KFC. Plus scratchings are yummy on their own.

Does anyone know of where I can get a good supply, or recommend a brand? Most of the bulk buy on Amazon is either fried in oil or enhanced with a load of Es, and just when I think I discovered a brand; customer reviews put me off.

The best scratchings I've ever tasted was purchased in a butcher's shop in Tring, they were sold in a plain plastic bag, we were passing through at the time.

Hi Jenny, do you have any Butchers near you? During the 'lockdown' I started using local Butchers more instead of supermarket meat and I saw plenty of pork scratchings and in one, even a sign saying 'ask if you want pork scratchings'. I half expected them to wheel out the actual pig. x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I often buy these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-UNSEASONED-Good-Old-Fashioned-Pork-Scratchings-no-seasoning-added/253870152256?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item3b1bd71a40:g:uzMAAOSwPsBeNAWK&enc=AQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu/n+zU5L90Z278x5ickkrDx+2NLp21dg6hHbHAkGMWPIOnLmB1SuVdxLqstOytjmSYfHFZ2o+Ou+i+W2yhElWf6LlyTXfWGZQoD3gRgIRvLP/MibDcaEUkCx00TZhBZusg0dBMczrGBqzCNHecwQStcNtYjsUSTdCoX97/JQTxdUxuzpuo4olhcy8FCCoggkwvFin/biqsD0EUC2WC9lx1NQtyaTizXrMcGS9SnHOXqhwfCtYib3c7Kd2Ccm/STscMdHfWKv3v7RbQ13UiQcXrZF9+LJ/SDB/gSlgFCHT5ImWEqj/prBRrO0YmFRL9gDVP7qo/a221pvOg2i1sgkTstNLUTCsA8fPUEnpgF8V2P9Yv98wU4MhHW9oNbW82KKkcRj2MV3YjkXzedB8hucF0LBkxSAitOSVCy2J2q+sLrz8PSvhQFfLYFSZIttdUIrfpyEr5Hoh2z880m7bekfFTi92MMefTVMHnwG1HNYmG6oF+a35jyaexDLwVBjLFkT6smht1GpH4C/5b0jn4aRHwTiLapixxclA42HKsac7ozYCDLtT+JOi92/j2mVFcYJPDrBkpbHbdV6j57gH3IDe1dQvysfpEnLsMuUVng7uaCwxVKG7lDVvDWq/5egs1yfwv3J7AaqplSjPK7G3PStKxX7XliGceDU0m2/0xispcbe+oRJ37VX3Upf62YEhvNZoUI1aHCTbF+WQTW0/tKSzTj5ocR1wS3W0AmfTCos3q/dKEfOOE4LR4Q0ygnIRCY1wF5Ks36vXokkbZmEvOZGo0iiWFnksRtKq28B6kXImw==&checksum=25387015225661aa0fdc69dc429a8cffa2111a041917

Contacted the guy who makes them who assured me the unseasoned version were cooked in lard rather than seed oils.
Word of warning though as a "breading" they tend to be a bit "claggy" the fat means they stick together.
For the panko breadcrumb like crunch you'd be better buying the pork puff type scratchings which are more skin without the fat and are drier (in fact so dry they make me cough when eating them). Something like these
https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/mr-porky-pork-crackles-115730011
They are less "clean eating" but the "nasties" in them are in pretty small quantities.
Hope that helps.. and yes I've done a fair bit of research...

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to be able to blitz them. Don't rely on a mortar and pestle or you will be there forever.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jenny, do you have any Butchers near you? During the 'lockdown' I started using local Butchers more instead of supermarket meat and I saw plenty of pork scratchings and in one, even a sign saying 'ask if you want pork scratchings'. I half expected them to wheel out the actual pig. x

Lovely... just phoned local butcher, they buy them in for 90p / 65g bag, by my reckoning that's about £13/£14 a kg. Always like to support local business especially these days. Thank you!

Reactions: Antje77

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Contacted the guy who makes them who assured me the unseasoned version were cooked in lard rather than seed oils.
Word of warning though as a "breading" they tend to be a bit "claggy" the fat means they stick together.
For the panko breadcrumb like crunch you'd be better buying the pork puff type scratchings which are more skin without the fat and are drier (in fact so dry they make me cough when eating them). Something like these
https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/mr-porky-pork-crackles-115730011
They are less "clean eating" but the "nasties" in them are in pretty small quantities.
Hope that helps.. and yes I've done a fair bit of research...

Thank you, I was hovering over this supplier on Amazon, by the way they are £1.14 more expensive on Amazon than Ebay.

The company had a couple of bad reviews which put me off, but then again they are for the connoisseur :)

I'm glad you recommended, and I do think the fattier ones taste better. Good tip about Mr Porky Pork!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Does anyone know of where I can get a good supply, or recommend a brand? Most of the bulk buy on Amazon are either fried in oil or enhanced with a load of Es, and just when I think I discovered a brand; customer reviews put me off.

For use in place of breadcrumbs I’d recommend the ‘puffier’ type as they grind down finer and are drier than the fattier, harder varieties. I use either these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Awfully-Posh-Original-Puffs-Snacks/dp/B087HYL68X [just pork and salt as ingredients) or https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui...real-pork-crackling-co-golden-pork-crunch-35g

Try mixing in Parmesan with the ground pork crackling. Delicious.

The Awfully Posh pork crackling also works well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Awfully-Posh-Anglesea-Salt-Crackling/dp/B00BPRGJUW

Reactions: JenniferM55

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've bought these (unseasoned)

but they also do seasoned, which I prefer. When I can get pigskin in quantity I do my own.

I guess a butcher would be able to provide you some skin. I've tried making them a few times using the rind from some belly pork. The skin is really hard so you'll need a very sharp knife to cut the skin into strips, I couldn't get mine sharp enough, think in the end kitchen scissors worked best. The cooking fat needs to be really hot; it's painful as the skin tends to spit. I imagine if you cooked them outside on a BBQ or somewhere like that in a frying pan, as it's a really greasy job, it'll save your kitchen looking like it's a fish 'n' chip shop.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you got a decent recipe? Mine always end up flat and dried out...
Not as such. This method is the result of years of trial and error - I was doing this long before T2 diagnosis. I get the skin from the local butcher (who's also T2) rub it with a lot of salt and leave it to sweat for a bit. Longer the better. Then I put it fat side down in a tin dish in a gas oven at 4-5. I pour off excess fat (but not all). It's done when it's bubbled - there might be a technical term for it, don't know. Could be 2-3 hours sometimes. Turn the heat up high at the end for 10 mins to crisp it. I tend not to season it other than the salt as it tastes so good straight out of the oven. There is never any left over for experimentation.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess a butcher would be able to provide you some skin. I've tried making them a few times using the rind from some belly pork. The skin is really hard so you'll need a very sharp knife to cut the skin into strips, I couldn't get mine sharp enough, think in the end kitchen scissors worked best. The cooking fat needs to be really hot; it's painful as the skin tends to spit. I imagine if you cooked them outside on a BBQ or somewhere like that in a frying pan, as it's a really greasy job, it'll save your kitchen looking like it's a fish 'n' chip shop.

Yep, I have a very sympathetic local butcher. I don't use any extra fat, plenty in the skin already. I've found that a slow oven cook works best....

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, I have a very sympathetic local butcher. I don't use any extra fat, plenty in the skin already. I've found that a slow oven cook works best....

Do you get that crispy texture cooking slowly in the oven? I might have a go at making scratchings in a slow oven, cooking hot fat on top of the stove is always a worry.... firewise.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you get that crispy texture cooking slowly in the oven? I might have a go at making scratchings in a slow oven, cooking hot fat on top of the stove is always a worry.... firewise.
It does work. I made the mistake in the beginning of having the oven too hot - this bubbles the outside quickly but seems to keep a lot of moisture in the skin - it doesn't crisp and stays chewy. Dropping the heat to get all the water out works for me with a blast at max temp to finish off. The surplus fat is great for other cooking. I've never tried stove top, mainly because of the inevitable mess and the thought of trying to maintain that level of heat for hours...fires. Grilling outdoors might be worth a try.