Metformin intolerance

Billy Shears

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it unusual, or even possible, to become intolerant to Metformin SR after taking it without problems for 11 years?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Intolerant in that it doesn't lower blood glucose levels or you are getting more pronounced side effects?

Billy Shears

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a "rushing off to the loo" suspected side effect of the slow release Metformin.

I've been a "mainly man" for 11 years, in that I try to eat mainly low carb combined with the 16/8 fast. It's when my HbA1c figures are quite good that I tend to slip and find myself eating the naughty but nice things and at the wrong time of day.

I've tried cutting out certain foods and drinks, one at a time, to see if I can pinpoint what's causing my stomach upsets but so far to no avail. So Metformin is now the main suspect, but I was wondering if it has affected other long-term users on here before I ditch the tablets for a week or two. I take a 1000mg Yaltormin SR tablet twice a day with food.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a "rushing off to the loo" suspected side effect of the slow release Metformin.

I've been a "mainly man" for 11 years, in that I try to eat mainly low carb combined with the 16/8 fast. It's when my HbA1c figures are quite good that I tend to slip and find myself eating the naughty but nice things and at the wrong time of day.

I've tried cutting out certain foods and drinks, one at a time, to see if I can pinpoint what's causing my stomach upsets but so far to no avail. So Metformin is now the main suspect, but I was wondering if it has affected other long-term users on here before I ditch the tablets for a week or two. I take a 1000mg Yaltormin SR tablet twice a day with food.
Gave me the squits for 3 weeks solid so I simply stopped taking it but that was almost 5 years ago.
Results in sig.

Hotpepper20000

Is it unusual, or even possible, to become intolerant to Metformin SR after taking it without problems for 11 years?
Metformin also can cause low B12. Especially after prolonged use.
After some blood work I found out I was low and started taking B12. It helped with my digestive troubles.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if there has been a reformulation and it is the change in the things mixed in or the coating which is causing the trouble.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Resurgam
The manufacturer may have adjusted something in the formulation which is affecting you.
We have had members post to say that their pharmacy provided a different brand from their usual one, with some unpleasant effects.

In your situation you may find things settle down, but if they don't you could try asking for another brand and see if that suits you better. It isn't necessarily that change is bad, just that it may take some adjustment.

As for whether it is possible to develop a reaction to something after years of use, then yes, most definitely it is. That applies to makeup, deoderant, foods, fabric softener, medications... you name it, its possible.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Resurgam
The manufacturer may have adjusted something in the formulation which is affecting you.
We have had members post to say that their pharmacy provided a different brand from their usual one, with some unpleasant effects.

In your situation you may find things settle down, but if they don't you could try asking for another brand and see if that suits you better. It isn't necessarily that change is bad, just that it may take some adjustment.

As for whether it is possible to develop a reaction to something after years of use, then yes, most definitely it is. That applies to makeup, deoderant, foods, fabric softener, medications... you name it, its possible.
My chemist sends whichever brand of Metformin SR is cheapest I suspect and it changes every month

Luckily not noticed a difference but makes you wonder

Taniae

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Billy

I have just stopped taking my metformin off my own back as I think it’s toxic for my gut. I have been on slow release for nearly 6 years and always have problems with my gut and running to the loo.
I am new to finger prick testing, also new to low carb , I have not seen any real changes in my blood glucose numbers since stopping the metformin so I am going to try and manage with diet alone.
My range is in the 6,s which I am happy with, I’ve brought my fasting levels from in the 9’s to 7 in 6 weeks which am am also happy with.
I am confident that if I build some exercise into the mix I will lower those numbers further.
Low carb is defo the way forward for me, yes I have found it challenging at times but need to keep saying it’s all for my health and well-being.
There are plenty of different meds out there that are available it’s just that I have chose to try without meds.
The stomach has been much improved with only being off the metformin for 10 days.
If your stomach settles without the metformin have a chat with your GP .
Good luck

Reactions: MrsA2