This is a diet question; Is it safe to use Slimfast when type 2?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Far better to eat proper satisfying low carb food that fills you up and still leads to weight loss and greatly improved blood sugar levels.

Reactions: Flora123

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of slimfast shakes equal my total daily intake of carbs, so it would not be something I'd ever think of using as it just doesn't make sense.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
If you’re looking for a protein drink, I use isopure zero carb.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are looking for a more ‘natural’ meal-replacement shake, I have used Purition in the past. Mostly when I was starting out on LCHF as a convenient lunch or breakfast option at work. But these days, what with working from home and only eating one or two meals a day now, I have stopped using them in favour of real food.

I should say, this is not from any doctrinal standpoint, just because I prefer food! I really ought to use them up before they expire, I suppose.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding the Isopure Zero Carb, some people (me!) find that whey protein can have a significant impact on blood glucose, so always worth checking it out and not assuming that zero carb means zero blood glucose impact.

I think the Purition Vegan shakes are good. Not that I have them more than once in a blue moon but Mr B has them sometimes. They are whey, soy, gluten free, which ticks a lot of boxes. Plus the sweetener used is stevia. The pistachio flavour is delicious.
The protein they use is pea, hemp and rice, and it is something like 6g carbs per portion, with lots of fibre to slow the impact of those carbs.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just to point out that Isopure Zero Carb has 0.3g of carbs per portion which I think would have far less effect on blood sugars than some thing with with 6g of carbs per portion so the assumptions you can't make for Isopure Zero Carb you can't make for any other protein supplement either.

Reactions: LaoDan

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It s safe to use Slimfast for diet when type 2?
If the reason for choosing Slimfast is to make it easier (convenience and not having to count calories) then a better route would be to skip a meal (usually breakfast) and fast until you are ready for a lunch which fills you up but is low on bread,pasta and rice.
Slimfast is low cal and you may lose weight but I doubt if it will get any further forward with keeping weight off or teaching you how to eat for the rest of your life. Most people do shakes to lose weight quickly but they are often repeat customers!
The only exception for type 2s is that if you are taking insulin or anything that increases insulin production you might risk going low in which case have a chat with a diabetic nurse or your gp.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
The isopure doesn’t raise my blood sugar at all, I’ve been having it for months, hence my recommendation. Of course you need to test you.

the toasted coconut flavor, with a tablespoon of coconut oil, or coconut cream is amazing lol

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Advanced Nutrition SlimFast Creamy Chocolate Smoothie Mix is mixed with eight ounces of skim milk and contains 190 calories, 3 grams fat, 0.5 grams saturated fat, 19 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fiber, 13 grams sugar, 20 grams protein.

SlimFast Keto chocolate flavour has zero added sugar and only 2g of net carbs per serving.

Is it safe well yes is it desirable depends on which one the normal shake with 19g of carbs per serving or the keto version with 2g of carbs per serving and your personal preference.

As long as has been said if on blood sugar reducing meds you are aware that reducing your carbs may cause hypoglycemia.