Any tips on reducing numbers?

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Feeling hungry! “Should you be eating that?” “ You get it because you eat wrong”
If high = 9 this morning pre breakfast, what do I do to lower the number? Yes to water and exercise but what can I eat that’s a sure fire lowerer of numbers?

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I eat a high fat low/zero carb food, like smoked mackrel, my BG drops a bit. Maybe I'm just strange :bored:

Reactions: Chatterbox

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Feeling hungry! “Should you be eating that?” “ You get it because you eat wrong”
What do you eat that with JenniferM55 ? I was thinking fresh air?

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fresh air's good :) - two mackrel fillets cooked in butter, served with the cooking butter poured over top, and maybe a knob or two of butter on the top!

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some poeple find that fasting in the morning can make their blood glucose keep on rising, or at least not falling.
Others find that fasting leads to numbers drifting downwards.
Your meter will quickly show which group you fall in.

If going without breakfast leads to higher numbers throughout the morning, then you can experiment to see what works best for you.
In my case, a protein and/or fat breakfast leads to a nice drop in readings. The mackerel mentioned above is good, likewise kippers would work for me. Also bacon and egg, or even just a cup of coffee with a dash of cream. Another option would just be a slice of cheese or ham, or both ;)

I used to get +3 or 4mmol/l rising numbers if I fasted in the morning, which I learned to counter with a coffee with cream, or a proper breakfast.

Gradually, over 3 or 4 years low carb, then keto, then carnivore, my morning readings became less volatile, and now I am in the happy position of being able to fast all morning and only see a rise of 1-1.5mmol/l by around 11am, which then drifts downwards til I eat.

However, I am delighted to report that a protein/fat breakfast will give me a 1-1.5mmol/l drop - which is obviously a much better short term result than if I fast completely.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some poeple find that fasting in the morning can make their blood glucose keep on rising, or at least not falling.
Others find that fasting leads to numbers drifting downwards.
Your meter will quickly show which group you fall in.

If going without breakfast leads to higher numbers throughout the morning, then you can experiment to see what works best for you.
In my case, a protein and/or fat breakfast leads to a nice drop in readings. The mackerel mentioned above is good, likewise kippers would work for me. Also bacon and egg, or even just a cup of coffee with a dash of cream. Another option would just be a slice of cheese or ham, or both ;)

I used to get +3 or 4mmol/l rising numbers if I fasted in the morning, which I learned to counter with a coffee with cream, or a proper breakfast.

Gradually, over 3 or 4 years low carb, then keto, then carnivore, my morning readings became less volatile, and now I am in the happy position of being able to fast all morning and only see a rise of 1-1.5mmol/l by around 11am, which then drifts downwards til I eat.

However, I am delighted to report that a protein/fat breakfast will give me a 1-1.5mmol/l drop - which is obviously a much better short term result than if I fast completely.

That's interesting @Bruneria, your experiences resonates with me, skipping breakfast does appear to make my BG higher, I put it down to the '-/+15% tolerance' of the strips.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting @Bruneria, your experiences resonates with me, skipping breakfast does appear to make my BG higher, I put it down to the '-/+15% tolerance' of the strips.

If it happens consistently then it transmogrifies into 'a trend' ;)

Reactions: JenniferM55

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could always be your poor old body simply trying to dump as much stored sugar as it can while you aren't sticking more in of course. Depends on where you are on the journey.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Could always be your poor old body simply trying to dump as much stored sugar as it can while you aren't sticking more in of course. Depends on where you are on the journey.

Could be... I went to bed the other night with BG reading of 5.9 and woke to a 7.2 (tested twice) could hardly believe it, maybe I was dreaming about something high in carbs which spiked a reaction, bit like faux sugar can do :woot:. Or maybe it was that dawn phenomenon. Our bodies are amazing!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could be... I went to bed the other night with BG reading of 5.9 and woke to a 7.2 (tested twice) could hardly believe it, maybe I was dreaming about something high in carbs which spiked a reaction, bit like faux sugar can do :woot:. Or maybe it was that dawn phenomenon. Our bodies are amazing!
Highly likely to be one or the other or maybe both!

Reactions: JenniferM55