Do Hand Sanitisers affect finger prick blood tests?

Paul Buckton1

I am Type 1 Insulin dependant. Finally returning to restaurants and pubs after Lockdown on the Eat out to Help Out scheme. Observing all Covid guidelines including using Hand Sanitiser on entry of the establishment. Once I have ordered my meal I do a test and work out the required amount of insulin. Does anyone know if the Hand Sanitiser affects the reading on my blood tester?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Good question Paul, I think that if you waited a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate and for your hands to feel dry you would probably be ok. The only way to find out for Shure would be to do two Tests one without sanitizer and one with and see if the results were vastly different.
Oh and welcome to the forum

Reactions: Antje77

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

Cloggs84

I am Type 1 Insulin dependant. Finally returning to restaurants and pubs after Lockdown on the Eat out to Help Out scheme. Observing all Covid guidelines including using Hand Sanitiser on entry of the establishment. Once I have ordered my meal I do a test and work out the required amount of insulin. Does anyone know if the Hand Sanitiser affects the reading on my blood tester?

I personally would check my bloods before going in the restaurant and again after to compare and see how it’s affected with hand sanitizer.

P.Lockwood

I have tested with and without hand sanitiser many times and I have always notice a very slight difference between them both, not massive but it can sometimes put you over your threshold.

Jade1478

A few years after I was first diagnosed (although that was 15 years ago) I was told that hand gels had in impact on my sugar levels and that i should stop using them. Also, I didnt realise recently I was buying fun hand wash (like carex bubblegum and lovehearts) for my kids, to encourage extra hand washing, that they can also have an affect on sugar readings too.
I use hand gel if im out and about at the moment but will try to wash my hands properly if I'm able to before a test

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
My understanding is that soap and water is better than sanitiser against covid-19 and this backs that up (and states 60% alcohol is enough ... but who's going to argue about a bit of extra alcohol?)

As for whether it affects blood sugar readings, I thought I had read somewhere that paramedics use saline to wash hands before taking a finger prick reading because the alcohol can have an impact.

I appreciate taking soap with you is not as easy as using the sanitiser provided at a restaurant but maybe it is an option to consider if you are concerned about the accuracy of your blood sugar reading when eating out at the moment.
As a driving instructor we have been advised to use min 70%. It’s not always possible to use water and soap. Luckily I’m type 2 and not on insulin but during the day I get to wash hands once or twice a day when I get to toilet. Otherwise it’s sanitiser

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If the hand gel is still wet it'll affect the result. I didn't know and one time did a test before my hands were dry, the result was 0.5 :hilarious: