Yoghurt

Stephanie 1233

Are these ok for diabetes type 2 to have ?
JPEG_20200812_145318_1134103464.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What does the nutritional information on the back say? Are you following a low carb diet?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are these ok for diabetes type 2 to have ?View attachment 43280

Hi there Stephanie - To be honest, that particular yoghurt wouldn't be for me, but then I don't buy flavoured yoghurts. I make my own yoghurt and find that quite sweet enough, without the fruit.

When trying to gauge the suitability, or otherwise of a foodstuff, the important data is on the back. The nutritional information.

Do you test your blood sugars at the moment? I found that the best way to work out whether something worked for me. If I tested, then ate, then tested 2 hours later, if my blood sugars had gone up too much, I either avoided what I'd just eaten or ate less of it, moving forwards. If the numbers were acceptable to me, that foodstuff would go on the "fine for me" list.

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
all depends on the person, personally I wouldn't touch them with 10.9g of carbs when I buy yogurt I get the fage 5% fat and add chia seeds and a couple of strawberries

yeovalley label

Energy
410 kJ/98 kcal
Fat
4.0g
of which saturates
2.8g
Carbohydrate
10.9g
of which sugars
10.7g
Protein
4.5g

Salt*
0.16g

Calcium
167mg†

Reactions: Stephanie 1233

Stephanie 1233

Hi everyone thanks for your help I am still waiting to see a diabetic nurse haven't been told much just got put on metformin and that's about it really.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone thanks for your help I am still waiting to see a diabetic nurse haven't been told much just got put on metformin and that's about it really.
Fruity yogs are sweet but its good for our guts to have a live variety of natural yogurt. My usually sweet tooth did get used to the plain versions and I have them with sugar free jelly or berries and xylitol. Always full fat though!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another full fat live Greek yoghurt eater, which I have been both from many years before and since being diagnosed with T2. It's easy enough to add a little suitable sweetener, and/or a few berries. etc if I want a bit of variety and this way I've complete control over what goes into it and so into my somewhat carbohydrate intolerant diabetic body.

border collie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really had to wean myself off fruit yoghurts when I started carb controlling, and the Yeo valley ones were my fave!

I too am a big fan of the full fat Greek yoghurt, and have started straining it to make it super thick and creamy. I have this, berries, chia seed and a small spoon peanut butter most mornings and my blood glucose rises very little.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your help I finding it hard to wean my self of flavoured yougurts.

You could always make a berry coulis, and have a spoonful of that with plain yoghurt.

If I make a coulis, I put some berries (defrosted frozen are absolutely fine) in a saucepan with lemon juice and some sweetener, then heat it gently until the fruit breaks down a little. If it stays firm longer than you want to simmer it, mash the fruit a little.

That way you know exactly what you are eating.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your help I finding it hard to wean my self of flavoured yougurts.
Yep, it is hard, but those cravings should go after a few days of no sugar. You might feel a bit grotty for a day or 2 but after that and within a couple of weeks those flavoured yoghurts will taste tòooo sweet. Its worth the bit of discomfort for the long term gains.

Rather than replacing them with natural yoghurt, try a few spoons of double cream instead. Its sweeter than natural yoghurt and will be quite satisfying because of the fats. Then after a few days/couple of weeks try the natural yoghurt again and it will taste better because your taste buds have adapted.

Hope this helps

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A lot of us have successfully reduced carbs to improve our blood sugars. Not all diabetic nurses are up-to-date on the research in this area but I was lucky enough to already know a little about why low carb wold be better for me than metformin (my mother had terrible side effects from it but she was not prepared to give up cakes and chocolate).

It was a huge change at first but I donated all the high carb food in my cupboards and fridge to others and bought in a few staples. I also managed to join thelowcarbprogram (several NHS areas will give you a voucher code for this).

Now it is just the way I eat.