Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy

Scodz

Is there anyone in this forum who is suffering from Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy, I am and I am desperate for news of any treatment available. This is really affecting my life severely and it is becoming unbearable to live with.

Wayward Blood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Scodz,

I'm really sorry that you're suffering because of diabetes. I don't know what treatments are out there, but the best thing you can do immediately is to focus on your blood sugar levels. I've seen a lot of posts from people who have found that symptoms of various diabetes-related afflictions have improved with more rigorous control. This is rarely immediate, but the sooner good habits start, the sooner the payoffs arrive. Getting good control is obviously far easier said than done though. Check out this video as a good starting point:

I'd also suggest googling support groups for neuropathy. Going through something like this is horrible, but it's even worse when you feel like you're alone.

All the best to you, and I hope that things get easier as time goes on.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
One thing you may have to be careful of if prone to hypos is Unawareness of hypoglycemia.

Some possible treatments are strict control of glucose levels and elimination of bad habits, such as smoking and excessive drinking. A regular program of exercise is a good habit to get into. In some cases, medication, such as fludrocortisone for treatment of low blood pressure, may be necessary.
For gastrointestinal problems, such as gastroparesis, experts recommend eating small, frequent meals, eliminating fats from the diet, and restricting fiber intake. Medications may be prescribed to speed digestion, ease nausea and diarrhea, or regulate digestion.
For dizziness or lightheadedness, experts recommend sitting down or standing up slowly, wearing elastic stockings, or raising the head of the bed. The doctor may prescribe medication used to treat high blood pressure or recommend adding salt to the diet.
For urinary and sexual problems, medications can help. Antibiotics will clear up a bladder infection. Erectile dysfunction can be treated with medication, a vacuum device, or surgical implant. Urinary incontinence can be helped by urinating at regular intervals.

https://www.columbianeurology.org/neurology/staywell/document.php?id=502