What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got that ordered now. I cover the drip tray with foil but that will be very handy.
Yes, my drip tray always has foil on it (call me lazy, but easier to clean up). I do have a nearly fit tin, which is fine for now, but I do have this one saved in my List for when I next feel the urge.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria sounds like you’ve got a lovely couple of weeks off work planned - enjoy. I finished my current work project today - an hour ago, so I’m now in chill mode - hoping to have a few work free weeks too unless problem crops up says she whilst crossing fingers madly! Planned a walk this pm but weather a bit wet and unpredictable so catching upon a few things like this forum! May walk later if settles soon.
Missed recording yesterday - very hot and I was working despite battling brain fog caused by muggy conditions!
Yesterday lunch one slice of bacon and egg and a few walnuts
Dinner two lamb chops, celeriac chips, salad and spoon coleslaw followed by DGF lemon and blueberry cake with cream
Today just had a late lunch a tin of Waitrose sardine fillets in olive oil and lemon they arrived as a freebie in our delivery and I will buy again they are delicious and only 0.4g of carbs - had with small salad made fromhome grown leaves and tomatoes plus a few walnuts
Dinner will be a frittata- will make big one so some left over for tomorrow’s lunch - with salad from garden. May also have a few raspberries from garden they are ripening apace! Edit also had DGF raspberry bakewell with berries and cream. A glass of dry white wine was drunk to celebrate finishing work project.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Just done a big C&C so well stocked again. Very envious of Mr PM’s choc ices. I see Oppo now do ice cream sticks but not available on my C&C, maybe just as well!
Today had early brekkie of HiLo toast, tea.
Lunch will be egg mayo salad with my h/g red and yellow toms.
Supper is Thursday house special: Chunky fishfingers with broccoli.

Agree @maglil55 it was crazy hot last night. I brought water up from the fridge which was lukewarm when I needed it. I can’t remember such a prolonged spell of very hot and humid weather. I have never, ever eaten Tripe but since I don’t like offal I dont imagine I would like it. I remember my mother bought ox heart once and I was dreading supper that evening, worried about it all day at school. It turned out my brother broke his leg at school and dinner never happened. I dont remember what or how but that the ox heart never happened.

PenguinMum, if you have a bedside drink regularly, you might find an insulated drinking flask worthwhile.

We have these (and some others), and they work extremely well, keeping hot for a very long time, but keeping cold for even longer: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Di...ed+drinking+flask&qid=1597329676&sr=8-37&th=1

TKMaxx also stock a decent selection, almost certainly cheaper than the true Thermos item, but the Thermos item (plus plenty of others to be fair) have a really comfortable drinking lip. If the cap is locked, it is also leak-proof.

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been off line for over 24 hours - I've been using too much data for our cheap package to allow and we ran out, then the router wouldn't re-connect until Neil disconnected it and then reconnected it. So, it's back on. Hurrah! Didn't realise I was so attached to my internet connection.

BG all day yesterday was round about the 8 mark. I'll take that. Didn't have much food - one meal of veg soup and one, hours later, of fried egg and mini frittata. High doses of insulin to keep BG at a reasonable level, though.

FBG today 9.6 (3 am - just couldn't sleep), still only 9.4 at 9 am on one cup of tea.
BG has remained around the 9.5 mark so far today, on the same high levels of insulin. Food was:

Breakfast - another mini frittata and bacon.
Lunch - Atkins crackers (2) and cheese.
Dinner will be - avocado salad.

The diabetes nurse called again to see how I got on with the reduced dose of the basal insulin. I told her that I hadn't dropped it to the level recommended (54 to 50. I only dropped to 52) because I was still up in the 9s, but I will stick with that for a while and see what happens. She accepted that but suggested changing the short acting doses before meals. That prescription should come through some time next week. She seems to be hopeful that I could even lose weight if I can reduce the insulin. I'll believe that when I see it!

In fact, I just, finally, sent bags of clothes I've grown out of, to the charity shop. They range from size 12 to size 20. Some still with their original labels still attached. I was sad to see them go, because I only buy clothes that I really like and some of them were really lovely fabric. Ah well. We may live in hope, but sometimes we have to face reality.

Edited to add: Em came in on the way home from school and stayed while her dad took her elder brother to town. She remembers perfectly where I keep her biscuits and the peanuts. She seems to have a new favourite - Wagon Wheels in the freezer. Some were put in the freezer for future visits. Neil had produced a graphic for her of mathematical shapes (triangle in a circle in a square in a circle, and so on until a 12 sided polygon finished the set) and she amazed us by pointing to the central circle and triangle and told us that it was the sign of the Illuminati. How on earth she knows about the Illuminati, I have no idea. Anyway, we ended the afternoon playing "sitting down football", which is the only football granny can manage. Em has a bizarre scoring system which changes from game to game and within games, depending on whether she wants to be kind to poor old granny, or wants to win.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Onlinecaroline I used to like Ryvita too, but switched to a simple flax meal cracker when @dunelm made up a recipe a year or more ago. Fewer carbs, excellent crunch!
@maglil trippa alla romana you go girl! How in all your heat can you stand all the work that will go/went with that!?? Like many Southern Americans, we have central air, but I still have to set up a little fan in the kitchen if I'm baking.
@Brunneria your holiday has officially commenced! Enjoy
@PenguinMum bless your brother for saving you from heart of ox! My mother never even cooked liver, as my dad didn't like it. So offal will likely never be on my menu.

Rest of yesterday:
Mid-day, snacking of cherry tomatoes, pecans, nibbles of Lindt
Barre class, wrung me out!
Supper: celery, wilted spinach w/HM dressing, a baked chicken thigh, cherry tomatoes, flax crisps/dilute soy milk
Dessert/bedtime snack: very many cherry tomatoes with mayonnaise.. ..

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Haven’t managed to post for a few days and can’t remember what my meals have been - all low carb though.
Today I started with choc chia pud that I made last night
Lunch was roast beef and salad h/m ranch dressing.
Dinner: chicken and chorizo fried with peppers and mushrooms on a spinach and avocado salad. 2 glasses red. Followed it with a DGF lemon and blueberry drizzle cake and a dollop of sour cream.
@mrs T123 I hope you enjoy the pickled eggs. Great lc snack.
@zauberflote I don’t think I posted my amazement at your mother’s blanket. I couldn’t believe it was home made, it was fabulous.
@GoonergalI haven’t listened to your DGF interview yet, I look forward to listening tonight.
@PenguinMum I have to agree about the offal. I can cope with calves liver but nothing else. It was a fairly drastic way for your brother to avoid the ox heart though!

border collie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I’m new on the forum but had T2 4 years. I’m practising carb control (20% of my calories intake) and it’s made a big difference but I know that I’ll probably need to reduce it further in time.

My fasting glucose is 6.5 give or take 0.5 but if I’ve eaten after 8 the night before it will be higher.

Breakfast was coffee (black) x 2
Lunch was Greek yoghurt, peanut butter, chia and give strawberries
Snack- salami slices and a few peanuts
Dinner- beef goulash, 1 slice lower carb bread, salad with a sprinkle of feta.

I was going to treat myself to an avocado chocolate mousse but I made the batch with a Caramel flavoured sugar free syrup and it was awful ‍♀️ so I just had a square of dark chocolate.

I’m really enjoying reading about others’ meals- giving me ideas!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All
Just done a big C&C so well stocked again. Very envious of Mr PM’s choc ices. I see Oppo now do ice cream sticks but not available on my C&C, maybe just as well!
Today had early brekkie of HiLo toast, tea.
Lunch will be egg mayo salad with my h/g red and yellow toms.
Supper is Thursday house special: Chunky fishfingers with broccoli.

Agree @maglil55 it was crazy hot last night. I brought water up from the fridge which was lukewarm when I needed it. I can’t remember such a prolonged spell of very hot and humid weather. I have never, ever eaten Tripe but since I don’t like offal I dont imagine I would like it. I remember my mother bought ox heart once and I was dreading supper that evening, worried about it all day at school. It turned out my brother broke his leg at school and dinner never happened. I dont remember what or how but that the ox heart never happened.
My Italian tripe! I have 20 glorious portions! This is the photo I sent @zauberflote but it always looks the same. Breyers used to make Low Carb choc ices (I used to buy them) but I haven't seen Breyers products for a while.
20190405_214921.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My Italian tripe! I have 20 glorious portions! This is the photo I sent @zauberflote but it always looks the same. Breyers used to make Low Carb choc ices (I used to buy them) but I haven't seen Breyers products for a while. View attachment 43317

That Italian tripe dish looks fantastic. I have never cooked tripe, although my mother used to and we enjoyed it as kids. I haven't seen any tripe for years, though. Years ago I did ask the lecturer on my catering course, what the best way was to cook tripe (I could buy it then) but he, though a Yorkshire man, didn't know - he had never done it himself. I wish I'd asked my mother when I could. I will write down your recipe, just in case I can ever get it.

Edited to add: sorry - it wasn't your recipe, I saw it somewhere else. Now I just have to remember where.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
was still stifling hot here today so only pick at cucumber and pate for lunch.
Then a wondrous thunderstorm cleared the air. Felt energetic for the first time in about a week so hit the gardening.
D: frittata with chorizo and spinach and feta with green beans. All veg grown in the garden.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Raspberry phd bar
Late Lunch: M&S crispy bacon snacks followed by Greek yoghurt, blackberries and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Dinner: cherry tomato and mature cheddar omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

Onlinecaroline

Breakfast - none as had a fasting blood test. Results tomorrow!

Lunch - I bought Keto life bread (0.8g a slice!) and had a ham and cheese sandwich. Glorious. A Babybel, some chicken and a few raspberries.

Dinner - 2 burgers with cheese and bacon and some cauliflower fries in a teaspoon of sweet chilli sauce and Siracha mayo.

Comes in at the 17g for the day - so might have a wee square of dark chocolate.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just checking in, as I haven't posted on this thread for a couple of days. I have been eating, and pretty nice things too, mainly low carb to save myself from dealing with unpredictable insulin doses, but I find it too hot to really enjoy food. Or anything really.

I'll be back with a vengeance when the weather cools, though! Looking forward to enjoying food and cooking again :)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria Relax and enjoy your time off work - happy days!

@maglil55 I haven't had tripe for years - my mum used to make it for my dad - I think she used to cook it in milk.

@Onlinecaroline may I ask where you are able to buy such low carb bread - I really do miss bread

Brunch - f/f greek yoghurt, with a few mixed berries, with double cream drizzled over it.

Dinner - salmon with hollandaise sauce poured over it and a large garden salad with olives, a sliced pickled egg, a dollop of coleslaw and a mixture of grated cheese sprinkled over the top of it.

Nice day and night here again so went walk to loch and were lucky to see a super fit swimmer swimming about in it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I’m new on the forum but had T2 4 years. I’m practising carb control (20% of my calories intake) and it’s made a big difference but I know that I’ll probably need to reduce it further in time.

My fasting glucose is 6.5 give or take 0.5 but if I’ve eaten after 8 the night before it will be higher.

Breakfast was coffee (black) x 2
Lunch was Greek yoghurt, peanut butter, chia and give strawberries
Snack- salami slices and a few peanuts
Dinner- beef goulash, 1 slice lower carb bread, salad with a sprinkle of feta.

I was going to treat myself to an avocado chocolate mousse but I made the batch with a Caramel flavoured sugar free syrup and it was awful ‍♀️ so I just had a square of dark chocolate.

I’m really enjoying reading about others’ meals- giving me ideas!

Welcome! You seem to be doing very well so far, but I agree it’s really helpful to see what other people are eating. I’ve got some great recipes and ideas from this thread.
I love your avatar btw.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Welcome @border collie ! Chocolate avocado mousse? Not sure I would ever have thought of putting chocolate on avocado. Or vice versa. I'm sorry it was awful! You will definitely find many good food ideas here, but likely not from me. I am a Johnny-one-note with food these days.

@DJC3 ..... around here, the only way to get such beautiful textiles is to hand weave them. Mom was a very good weaver! Spinning, not so much but she taught us all to drop-spin, and we were welcome to a smaller table loom if we wanted to learn. We all did the little Inkle loom, and much of our handiwork survives to this day-- 50 years!

I am sorry everyone is so hot! I'm sure it's no help to tell you that's normal for us We've been having rain with it, lots of rain. I'm thinking of installing twin Mercury outboards on the end of my house; we may need them if this keeps up!
Today:
Bfast: avocado, pecans, boiled egg, Lindt 90% too much of it, flax crisps/dilute soy
Munchies included cherry tomatoes, spoon of cream, and.. pecans? Chocolate, a tiny nibble twice.
Barre class again and survived it nicely!
Supper: celery, wilted spinach with dregs of HM dressing, 2 boiled eggs (I boil a batch and keep in refrigerator), a few pecans, and coming up right now is, flax crisps/dilute soymilk.
Hoping to keep before-bed to a few spoons of plain yogurt.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Covid confusion here.... Mr C's colleague had a negative second test (thank goodness) and will be returning to work on Monday. BUT another person at his work had a test which has come back positive - but didn't bother telling anyone that he had had the test and has been at work while waiting for the result. :banghead: Because he was handed paperwork directly by this person while he was infectious Mr C is having to go for a test tomorrow. The strange thing is that he had no symptoms and only had the test because his wife works in a high risk environment. Her test came back negative while his was positive.

Today's food

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup
Lunch: Ryvita with Longley Farm cottage cheese
Dinner: broccoli and cauliflower cheese

Probably a glass or two of red wine

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All
Horrible FBG today due too many almonds last night probs!
Breakfast: essential to stop the rise was my usual small slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x3.
Lunch: Egg mayo with leaves.
Supper will be panfried Halibut steak with broccoli leftovers and maybe cauli rice.
Thank goodness its cooled down a bit but where is the rain, my grass has almost disappeared!
@Chook how perplexing and annoying for Mr Chook, hope the next test is negative. It does seem to be a bit random who gets it or not but thats no comfort if you are exposed to it.

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach
Two soft-boiled organic chicken's eggs with Portuguese sea salt
Mug of tea with Lactofree whole milk (2.6g carbs per 100ml)
Mug of home-made bouillon type stuff - 1 organic Kallo chicken stock cube with boiling water, 1 tsp Gayelord Hauser Dieteticien Superlevure and a sprinkling of Gayelord Hauser Spike seasoning
Evian 500ml x3
Longley Farm Cottage Cheese 250g pot 5.5 carbs the pot

Supper tonight is an organic ribeye steak with organic French beans, organic courgettes, organic mushrooms.

Normally I would have salad for lunch with avocado or anchovies or cheese or sardines but I didn't sleep well last night and I'm kbackered.