Blucon Nightrider battery - How long should it last?

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blucon Nightrider, uses a flat CR2032 battery. I have recently bought a Blucon, but it is in my opinion wasting batteries. One battery lasts for about 4 days. What are your experiences, in this case? Is my Blucon faulty?

j_c_boing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Blucon Nightrider, uses a flat CR2032 battery. I have recently bought a Blucon, but it is in my opinion wasting batteries. One battery lasts for about 4 days. What are your experiences, in this case? Is my Blucon faulty?

I have been using the Blucon for around 3 months now. There is a couple of things I have found.

1) Ultra cheap batteries are a false economy as they only last a 3-7 days (at most). The best batteries I have found are Energizer 3 Volt. They last a minimum of 14 days and are available on Amazon around £2.90 for 6. So 6 batteries will last 3 months.

2) If you are using a smartphone with a battery saver mode/setting (like Samsung) make sure you switch the saver mode off. This will affect the phone battery but will save the Nightrider battery. This is because battery saver modes often put Bluetooth to sleep in the background to save Phone power. This causes the phone to disconnect from the BluCon and then the Blucon continually sends signals searching for the phone (which wears the Blucon battery down)..

Reactions: alanboo

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jess @j_c_boing and @alanboo - I have switched to a more robust type of batteries, and it has solved the problem. I'm up at about 2 weeks of usage time/battery nowadays. Thank you both, for usable hints to solve the problem...:)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I never had much more than a week or so per battery