My gut feels like a rollercoaster. Won't stop gurgling.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Managing okay today. Making some changes to what I eat and drink, when I eat and how.

Got to pick up some over the counter Imodium tomorrow from the pharmacist, staying away from eating KFC and takeaways (so are my parents), going try to do some intermittent fasting and not eat anything from 8pm till 8am, as I am still snacking and need to set some limitations.
I hope you can manage to stick with a sensible way of eating, @akindrat18 . You have struggled for a long time. I know it is difficult, but suggest you look back on your many previous threads, and take note of advice and act on it. Also, find the psychological support you need, because you cannot carry on damaging yourself by eating the way you have been.
Only other thing I would add is that please do not just disappear until you have a problem again. Keep being an active member of forums. Receive support. Oh and share positive things as well. People want to see you succeed in becoming well.

edit to tag OP

Last edited:

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The gurgling and trapped air could be resulting from an hiatus hernia which could also limit the amount you can eat comfortably. However, that can only be verified via an endoscopy or barium study or even CT scan. My suggestion would be for you to to push if necessary your GP for a referral as there might be more than one condition present.

Reactions: Struma and zand

JonoNeppers

I have IBS and sometimes the symptoms sound similar to what you are describing. I'd suggest keeping an eye on what you are eating before the pain, gassyness and stool issues. Those three are all typical with IBS, and it is only triggered by certain foods (which vary from person to person).

For me, fibre, fat and just simply overeating can set off my IBS.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Got an appointment today to see the doctor face to face as it's come back now again and had to take yesterday and today off work.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got an appointment today to see the doctor face to face as it's come back now again and had to take yesterday and today off work.
Hello, @akindrat18 , been wondering how you were doing.
Did symptoms settle last time? Just over a week ago? Have you been managing to eat in the meantime? Did you manage intermittent fasting at all?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, @akindrat18 , been wondering how you were doing.
Did symptoms settle last time? Just over a week ago? Have you been managing to eat in the meantime? Did you manage intermittent fasting at all?

The symptoms did settle, but now it's come back again. I've been managing okay eating, but haven't been the toilet yet to open my bowels, just a lot of farting and pain in my tummy. I tried IF and was doing okay till Thursday night.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best of luck with the doctor appointment.
Do let us know how it goes, please, as people genuinely care and want to know how you are.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Best of luck with the doctor appointment.
Do let us know how it goes, please, as people genuinely care and want to know how you are.

It didn't go well. Just gave me a blood test form and a week off work. Told me not to take anymore Imodium or Pepto Bismol and to have paracetamol for the tummy pain.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How are you now, @akindrat18 ?
What blood tests are to be done?

My gut still doesn't feel good. Went the loo this morning and felt okay, but after 10 minutes I had to go again and again and again. I don't know what blood tests are needed.

On Sunday I had a phone call saying that I had been in contact with someone who had coronavirus symptoms, so now I've got to shield and had a home test kit ordered, it came yesterday and sent it off.

I'm also having to inject my insulin somewhere other than my tummy as it seems to speed up the diarrhoea that I keep on having.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am still having pains in my gut and they aren't going away. Had a Sunday Dinner at 8pm where I did have 2 Yorkshire puds, 4 roast potatoes, carrot & swede mash and beef. I've just been the toilet and no diarrhoea, but my gut is in pain on both sides. Had hardly anything to eat all day and haven't been able to test my blood sugar this weekend.

My parents think that I should 'man up' and deal with the pain. They don't want me to have another week off work.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@akindrat18
I am sorry you are still having symptoms. That is one heck of a big dinner to eat when you have abdominal pain.
Have you had results of the blood tests yet? (The ones you didn’t know what they were for?)
Have you had the results of the home test for Coronavirus you sent the test off last week?

Are you not supposed to self isolate for 14 days if you have been told you have been in contact with somebody with Coronavirus?
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...in-contact-with-a-person-who-has-coronavirus/

So why are your parents insisting you should be back at work? You could be infecting others if you go back to work with the unresolved problems. You do work in a food outlet, don’t you?

I suggest you contact your doctor, find out what the blood tests were for, and the results, tell him / her you still have abdominal pain, and also find out the results of your coronavirus test.
Then let us know, please. We need to know the full details if you want suggestions of how to help yourself.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @akindrat18, how are you today?
I agree with @Pipp, if you’ve picked up Covid-19 from one of your friends, you really should be making sure you don’t infect all the people you work with, and others, so you need to obey the instruction to isolate for fourteen days. Working in a food outlet means that if you’re infected you could spread the virus to a lot of others; some of them might be very vulnerable or pass it on to vulnerable people.
And that was a huge amount of carbohydrate for someone with T2 to eat: I wonder if your tummy would feel happier if you reduced the carbohydrate you eat?
I think the doctor wants you to stay away from any immodium and pesto-bismol so that the tests aren’t affected by them and show more clearly what’s happening with your guts.
Has your DSN given you any advice on diet?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Another thought, maybe you need to think about increasing the friendly bacteria in your gut? A more varied diet with more fruit and vegetables might help. There are lots of fruit and vegetables that are low in carbohydrate: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries (it’s the season for them), leeks, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower, green beans, lettuce. Just a thought.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At first they thought it was appendicitis, but the pain was more significant on my left side than my right side. Then they put me on antibiotics and said that my gut was inflamed.

I can only get a telephone appointment and their next available one is on Monday.
Sounds a bit like gastro-paresis or delayed stomach emptying in which food isn't digested at the normal pace due to diabetic nerve damage resulting in gut pain, bloating/wind and seemingly random blood sugars.
This is seriously impacting your quality of life so I think you could push a little harder for a consultation or a referral to a gastroenterologist to rule it out or in? This is the illness with a diabetic connection but could be any number of things and needs a decent diagnosis.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No test results and the pain has come back in my gut along with the diarrhoea again.

Hi @akindrat18, how are you today?
I agree with @Pipp, if you’ve picked up Covid-19 from one of your friends, you really should be making sure you don’t infect all the people you work with, and others, so you need to obey the instruction to isolate for fourteen days. Working in a food outlet means that if you’re infected you could spread the virus to a lot of others; some of them might be very vulnerable or pass it on to vulnerable people.
And that was a huge amount of carbohydrate for someone with T2 to eat: I wonder if your tummy would feel happier if you reduced the carbohydrate you eat?
I think the doctor wants you to stay away from any immodium and pesto-bismol so that the tests aren’t affected by them and show more clearly what’s happening with your guts.
Has your DSN given you any advice on diet?

I gave them the isolation note and it says I should be off till this Friday, but because I had the all clear they had me back in. Plus the last two days I've been on closes and I've had to drink some Pepsi to keep me up working without breaks as it's been really busy.

I haven't had any contact with my DSN since before lockdown.

Another thought, maybe you need to think about increasing the friendly bacteria in your gut? A more varied diet with more fruit and vegetables might help. There are lots of fruit and vegetables that are low in carbohydrate: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries (it’s the season for them), leeks, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower, green beans, lettuce. Just a thought.

I've been having some gulps of kefir strawberry every morning now for a week and my diet. At work I've been having a plain salad box which is just lettuce, tomato and corn, which contains 22g carbs. Still can't take anything in

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Got a call back from my gp this afternoon, but my mum is like "I get sharp pains too, I just walk it off". She is also making Spag Bol for tea with garlic bread, all homemade.