Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Hi

I have seen a few things on here about heat and diabetes.

How does this affect you?

I never realized or anyone mention this before.

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Heat increases my blood sugar readings. About 5 days of 35 degrees last year at the end of June pushed my blood sugar values up to around 9 mmol/L after breakfast when on a normmal day the values would be below 7 mmol/L. The recent heat this year did not last that long and pushed the blood sugar up by 1 mmol/L for example from 6.5 to 7.5 mmol/L.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For myself , as an insulin user (Type1) I need less insulin when its hotter or I'll hypo, I guess I may utilise it better when its hotter, but I don't know

MarkHaZ123

Iv only been using insulin for 10 months now but have found many changes

When off work I used to have 11 morning dose and 11 night of levemire
When it's hot I can take 7 on a morning and still 11 at night

When working which is every day at the moment il have 5 morning and 12 evening but I even think 5 is too much at the moment as with an active job I am on the go all the time so by 10.30 Iv got to have a snack then mid afternoon the same otherwise I'm low around 4ish

Heat definitely makes me need less, I sweat alot quicker and so start burning energy and that drops my bloods quickly

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm hoping its the reason mine have risen lately :joyful:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not only hot weather - maybe have a search too for discussions about hot showers and baths temporarily raising levels.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Not only hot weather - maybe have a search too for discussions about hot showers and baths temporarily raising levels.

In my case hot showers, baths will send mine down quickly if I'm not careful. Oh the many joys of variables from one person to the next.