Foods you used to think were good for you (or at least not so bad.)

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just rooting though my pre low-carb stuff and found these Morrisons French toasts. I used to eat 6 at a time (50g) with a smear of marge on each, often going back for seconds, and sometimes getting through a whole 200g pack in one night.

They don't look awful for sugar, but the carbs figure is only 1.5g less per 100g than Haribo Starmix. Scary stuff once you realise that non-fibre carbs are essentially sugar as far as your body is concerned. On a full box night, I was getting 150g of carbs just from these. And there's me blaming the 90g in a whole chocolate orange.

I just thought it might be interesting to have a thread of stuff we used to think was healthy (or at least not especially unhealthy) that's now the exact opposite. I hope this hasn't been done before.
IMG_20200809_113356.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just rooting though my pre low-carb stuff and found these Morrisons French toasts. I used to eat 6 at a time (50g) with a smear of marge on each, often going back for seconds, and sometimes getting through a whole 200g pack in one night.

They don't look awful for sugar, but the carbs figure is only 1.5g less per 100g than Haribo Starmix. Scary stuff once you realise that non-fibre carbs are essentially sugar as far as your body is concerned. On a full box night, I was getting 150g of carbs just from these. And there's me blaming the 90g in a whole chocolate orange.

I just thought it might be interesting to have a thread of stuff we used to think was healthy (or at least not especially unhealthy) that's now the exact opposite. I hope this hasn't been done before. View attachment 43219
OMG! I used to have those too.. but only an inner pack of 6 at a time. Thought they were healthier than bread !

I used to eat at least 3 portions of fruit a day :sorry: Oh how I miss it, especially a perfect piece grown locally and ripe in season. The plums are falling off a tree near us right now and are sweet and juicy and.... no stop it!:arghh:

Reactions: Nicole T

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weetabix with skimmed milk, banana and raisins, fresh orange juice, wholemeal toast with jam instead of butter. One heck of a breakfast!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Porridge, muesli, granola, bananas. Wholemeal everything, lentils, pulses, lots and lots of fresh pineapple.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I used to have porridge for breakfast, a baked spud for lunch and roasties for tea with meat!
Or before all that chips with everything! Even salad!
I miss my baked beans!

I was advised for well over a decade that I needed a well balanced diet, especially with potatoes!
Can't touch them now! Or porridge or any grains!

I would risk everything for a chip buttie! (Not really!)

Keep safe.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My downfall used to be any type of fruit juice as one of your five a day -- not only lots of sugar, but especially fructose going straight to my liver.

Don't miss the juice at all anymore -- but French fries are another story.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I just thought it might be interesting to have a thread of stuff we used to think was healthy (or at least not especially unhealthy) that's now the exact opposite. I hope this hasn't been done before. View attachment 43219
Vehicle foods! Innocuous but moreish especially when lavished in the good stuff (pate, cheeese, butter) that are the new good foods.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wholemeal bread, weetabix, bananas, oranges, apples, carrots, pasta...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bananas and oranges.

I've not touched bananas for six and a half years, but I do sneak an occasional orange - if I cook a batch of rhubarb then an orange gets included but it works out as an acceptable 1/4 orange per portion.

To an extent I've found the reverse, food that was declared bad for us 50 odd years ago , e.g. full fat dairy, that I resolutely carried on eating regardless, is acceptable again now, which is why I love my LCHF diet.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Beans, lentils, brown rice, brown pasta, olive oil roasted root and other veg. Fruit. Porridge. Rolled oats. Semi-skinned milk. Fresh fruit for breakfast, then bean salad for lunch and pasta with my own tomato sauce for supper. Anyone want to calculate the carbs in that lot! I might just as well have had cake.:banghead:

And ratios e.g. sausage and mash, eat more mash than sausage. Home made chilli with less meat more beans (with rice). Pasta with sauce, more pasta less sauce. Fish pie with mash (oh replace potatoes with beans, low fat sauce). Shepard's pie - replace meat (and fat) with lentils. Cheese on toast - less cheese. Omelette with cheese, less cheese, fewer eggs, add potatoes and/or other veg.

This sums it up and makes me laugh:
wholemeal toast with jam instead of butter

Love this thread :)

Reactions: Larissima

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just remembered another bit of advice, well 2 separate bits of advice really.
One from a dietitian, ‘You can still have treats, just one mars bar a day after your meal (yeah meals recommended where all high carb) is enough though’.
Another from a phlebotomist, who had a bottle of Lucozade and A giant Mars bar on the desk, ‘I see you have T2. So do I. You should ask your doctor to prescribe better meds as that is what I do. I can eat anything. You need the sugar for energy. Mars bars are great’.

Mars bars?! :banghead:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Comment by our mutual DN to a neighbour who has poorly managed T2 - 'Life's too short not to enjoy fresh bread or chips'. No wonder my neighbour struggles with control!