Warning signs of diabetic neuropathy in my feet?

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm worrying and wondering if I have the first signs of diabetic neuropathy in my feet. My annual check-up with the diabetic nurse hasn't taken place this summer, and I'm now wondering whether I should be talking with my GP abut this.

I started to become suspicious about this more than 18 months ago, but the last annual foot test and private podiatrist tests since tell me my tests from them are fine. So this started to develop maybe as much as 2 years ago. I feel something like numbness, but I'd say it's like you might feel after a very hard day of walking - almost battered on the soles of your feet? This affects the soles of both feet, with more of it in the toes. Pretty constant feeling, at any time of day.

Advice and suggestions?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm worrying and wondering if I have the first signs of diabetic neuropathy in my feet. My annual check-up with the diabetic nurse hasn't taken place this summer, and I'm now wondering whether I should be talking with my GP abut this.

I started to become suspicious about this more than 18 months ago, but the last annual foot test and private podiatrist tests since tell me my tests from them are fine. So this started to develop maybe as much as 2 years ago. I feel something like numbness, but I'd say it's like you might feel after a very hard day of walking - almost battered on the soles of your feet? This affects the soles of both feet, with more of it in the toes. Pretty constant feeling, at any time of day.

Advice and suggestions?
I can't diagnose your problem and of course it could be lots of things but here is my experience to compare:
I didn't know it was a symptom at the time but before I was diagnosed with type 2 I had a sort of numbness in my right toes, it felt as though I had a piece of sellotape stuck to my foot and some slight tingling. On diagnosis, at a routine over sixties health check, my feet were checked and said to be ok. I adopted a low carb diet and my HbA1c was prediabetic after 3 months, the tingling however got worse (nerves starting to work?). It gradually improved and after about a year I had no tingling or numbness.

Caprock94

I can't diagnose your problem and of course it could be lots of things but here is my experience to compare:
I didn't know it was a symptom at the time but before I was diagnosed with type 2 I had a sort of numbness in my right toes, it felt as though I had a piece of sellotape stuck to my foot and some slight tingling. On diagnosis, at a routine over sixties health check, my feet were checked and said to be ok. I adopted a low carb diet and my HbA1c was prediabetic after 3 months, the tingling however got worse (nerves starting to work?). It gradually improved and after about a year I had no tingling or numbness.

Somewhat similar experience here, except at diagnosis I didn't notice any symptoms. I quickly lowered my A1C to prediabetic and then non diabetic levels. About 6 weeks in, I noticed a burning feeling in both feet. Got worse when walking a lot. Instead of numbness, it was like my feet were overly sensitive and felt everything. Over a year later, I still have some issues with it, but it has slowly gotten better. Hoping for more improvement.

Reactions: JenniferW

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Somewhat similar experience here, ... Over a year later, I still have some issues with it, but it has slowly gotten better. Hoping for more improvement.

Thanks for sharing the similar experience. The cancellation of my annual foot test this year (I assume because of the pandemic) has made me think I probably shouldn't let this just drift on without trying to sort out what's going on.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
By the time you are diagnosed with PN its almost too late. There are many tests but the time taken to do them means that only a couple are ever used, and these are fairly blunt tests as they are really only looking for loss of protective sensation.

Generally early signs of neuropathy are strange and vague sensations eg bunched up sock under ball of feet, tingling, burning at nightt, feels like toes wrapped in something (can still feel but not quite right).

Some of these symptoms cross over with nutrient deficiencies so good idea to get blood test for these, mostly B &D. Also alcohol can cause them as well, no safe dose of alcohol so beware.
Don't wait for some one to tell you you have PN because it may be too late. If it feels odd then chances are it is.

Reactions: Garway

Annya

I've got Neuropathy in my feet and legs. Mine came with surface ulcers in the nerve endings and I'm pretty sure you can imagine how painful that is. I now have a repeat prescription for Zomorph (Morphine) and Gabapentin. If you think something doesn't feel right, I beg of you get it checked out. I wouldn't wish this hell on anybody.

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes

Advice and suggestions?
The effects are so varied with neuropathy. Numbness, over sensitivity, burning pain, sharp stabbing and cold feeling. I think when the nerves become damaged the signals to the brain are all over the place, a bit like phantom pain. It's worth nipping it in the bud now before they become more damaged. The tablets they dole out once you have it simply mask the pain.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had my annual review with my diabetic nurse and the foot screening for our area has been completely cancelled this year! So much for maintaining the importance of this for diabetics? I see a podiatrist privately on a regular basis and will ask there for a check-up, but not everyone can do that!

Daz007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apple pie and custard.
I get sharp stabbing pains in my feet occasionally, but I do fine on the foot tests. Obviously my ex wife must have made a voodoo doll of me, however Im sure that would cause pains in more sensitive areas ;). Hope all our foot checks get resumed soon.

Reactions: JinnyG