Juggling Diabetes 2 with other health problems!!!!!

Tiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since April this year when for me the difficulties of Lockdown on day to day living really hit home i have
had to try and juggle manage prioritise health issues. I am a Diabetic Type 2 controlled at the moment
by diet only, I have for some time also had an underactive Thyroid. Early in April i had a self diagnosed
Gout attack which was very painful and started a long and arduous juggling journey which even now has not been resolved. I was told to stop my Blood Pressure tablets immediately and given pain killers.
Later on i had a blood test and was told it was Gout - i do not drink nor do i eat a red meat offal diet
in fact i am mostly Chicken Fish and Vegetarian - i had put on a lot of weight not able to walk well
exercise garden etc plus being totally honest the Lockdown with the difficulties it brought meant food
that became available (i could not get to a supermarket) was basically white bread,potatoes and rice
all of which i had spent ages tweaking resisting or changing. I was lucky and found a Chiropodist i could
just about walk to who agreed to see me - however my blood pressure was checked later and found to be high so ---

I was put on Amlopidine - that has lowered my Blood Pressure but caused i think more swelling of
ankles and feet and a rash
with a sore on my leg - I also believe i had another minor Gout attack - i am due
to see the Nurse this week have another Blood Test. I have also learnt that Fasting which would help
the Diabetes may not be good if prone to Gout. I would be interested if anyone has had these types
of problems with Gout - i do need to lose weight but until i can get walking well given underactive thyroid
losing weight has always been difficult. Low Carb does work for me but i now have to consider low
purine food as well and the fasting for the moment i cannot tackle. That being said my last in June
hba1c was 48 - whilst not great i was surprised it was not higher. I do not know if anyone has any
helpful ideas about the control of Gout or any suggestions as to what i could ask to try tests i should
have - fruit is suppose to help Gout but not too much from a Diabetic point of view. The Blood Pressure
tablet has lowered the Blood Pressure but seems to have given me more swollen feet and a reddening
of skin. Any suggestions to help me juggle would be useful.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since April this year when for me the difficulties of Lockdown on day to day living really hit home i have
had to try and juggle manage prioritise health issues. I am a Diabetic Type 2 controlled at the moment
by diet only, I have for some time also had an underactive Thyroid. Early in April i had a self diagnosed
Gout attack which was very painful and started a long and arduous juggling journey which even now has not been resolved. I was told to stop my Blood Pressure tablets immediately and given pain killers.
Later on i had a blood test and was told it was Gout - i do not drink nor do i eat a red meat offal diet
in fact i am mostly Chicken Fish and Vegetarian - i had put on a lot of weight not able to walk well
exercise garden etc plus being totally honest the Lockdown with the difficulties it brought meant food
that became available (i could not get to a supermarket) was basically white bread,potatoes and rice
all of which i had spent ages tweaking resisting or changing. I was lucky and found a Chiropodist i could
just about walk to who agreed to see me - however my blood pressure was checked later and found to be high so ---

I was put on Amlopidine - that has lowered my Blood Pressure but caused i think more swelling of
ankles and feet and a rash
with a sore on my leg - I also believe i had another minor Gout attack - i am due
to see the Nurse this week have another Blood Test. I have also learnt that Fasting which would help
the Diabetes may not be good if prone to Gout. I would be interested if anyone has had these types
of problems with Gout - i do need to lose weight but until i can get walking well given underactive thyroid
losing weight has always been difficult. Low Carb does work for me but i now have to consider low
purine food as well and the fasting for the moment i cannot tackle. That being said my last in June
hba1c was 48 - whilst not great i was surprised it was not higher. I do not know if anyone has any
helpful ideas about the control of Gout or any suggestions as to what i could ask to try tests i should
have - fruit is suppose to help Gout but not too much from a Diabetic point of view. The Blood Pressure
tablet has lowered the Blood Pressure but seems to have given me more swollen feet and a reddening
of skin. Any suggestions to help me juggle would be useful.
I hope the nurse is able to help. In common with all males down my maternal side I too have a "gouty disposition" - not funny. I have found workarounds for me but this is a job for Drs to establish baseline levels, trial treatments and test some more. Also, this process can initially exacerbate the gout. Slow process but best left to medics especially as they will have a fuller picture of your other conditions. Hope it all goes well.

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Things become difficult to manage as you accumulate various conditions. There may be contraindications between different drugs. Certain foods may be banned for certain drugs. My best way forward has been to avoid most highly processed products. I do eat cheese and gluten-free bread otherwise I go back to basic food: vegetables, fruit, meat (not sausages, ham etc.). I cannot any longer focus upon a low-carb diet.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Diet is the way forward.

Cut your portions down, look at the calories and keep them about 1500 for the day.

My fitness pal is great for tracking and getting you on top of it.

Bare in mind the gym / workouts are about 10 Percent of day actual energy use.

Also protein has a thermometric effect, so actually you eat 100 clas for examples but you need a few of them to digest it.

But yeah focus on your food track and weigh and you weight will come down without going to the gym.

That should help with the rest of the conditions.